2005's Best and Worst Films

Nine Kuze 11-29-2005 05:55 PM
With the year of 2005, the film industry as been interesting to say of the least. With the talk of a 'box office slump', the year 2005 pumped out movies such as 'Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith', 'Batman Begins', and 'Crush'. But then again on the other side of the spectrum, there have been movies such as 'Monster in Law', 'The Fanstatic Four', and 'Stealth'.

Granted, there are still movies yet to make their debut (movies that are getting Oscar buzz already) but still, post some of your favorite and worst movies of the year.
Peace.
Travis Bickle 11-29-2005 07:28 PM
Best:

-Sideways
-Breakfast on Pluto
-Batman Begins
-Walk The Line
-Good Night and Good Luck

Worst:

-Star Wars Episode 3
-Saw 2
-Fantastic 4
David Ryder 11-29-2005 07:33 PM
Best:
Batman Begins

Worst:
Saw II (the original wasn't too good anyways)
The "fiddy" movie, I actually laughted when he got "capped", made some folks mad so I just left. Laughing Laughing

didn't see many movies, so not much to say. X_X
Big Money 11-29-2005 07:36 PM
Best: ROTS, Crash (Don Cheadle is my homie, and his birthday is today...), Batman Begins, Good Night and Good Luck

Worst: Fantastic 4 was lots of suck... thats really the only movie I got tricked into seeing that was bad...
Volt 11-29-2005 09:46 PM
Best:
Batman Begins
Serenity

Worst:
Star Wars III
XXX: State of the Union
Nine Kuze 11-30-2005 01:37 PM
Thanks for the replies everybody and Gonzo, Sideways was from 2004 as in last year. Its still a damn good moive though.

My favorite movies this year are Sin City, Crash, Batman Begins, Capote, and Revenge of the Sith. I would have to say that the worst movie for me this year would be between The Longest Yard and Fantastic Four.

quote:
Originally posted by Gaddes
Best:
Batman Begins

Worst:
Saw II (the original wasn't too good anyways)
The "fiddy" movie, I actually laughted when he got "capped", made some folks mad so I just left. Laughing Laughing

didn't see many movies, so not much to say. X_X

Gaddes, that's the best way to get revenge on 50 Cent for even imagining that he could (and he did?!) make a movie. I bet you heard guns cocking didn't you? Big Grin Just playing...
Peace.
Sharpshooter005 11-30-2005 01:46 PM
quote:
The Longest Yard

Strangely enough this is one of the few Adam Sandler movies I can tolerate. Possibly because it deviated at least somewhat from the standard formula EVERY OTHER COMEDY HE'S DONE has followed.

Except Happy Gilmore, that one I could stand...everything else just grates on my nerves. Example, when I watched Billy Madison it made me begin yelling out my name, as well as a rank and serial number because I briefly thought it was some elaborate interrogation.

I didn't see alot of movies. I kind of want to put Land of the Dead as both best and worst, for the following reasons

Best: Zombies

Worst: Almost everything else.

edit: Star Wars Episode III had it's good parts. It also, however, had the "No, only because I love you." "NO NO, IT'S BECAUSE I LOVE YOU" part in it. Which honestly made me look at my watch because I just wanted them to kill off Natalie Portman's character as fast as possible.
Travis Bickle 11-30-2005 04:44 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Nine XXVI
Thanks for the replies everybody and Gonzo, Sideways was from 2004 as in last year. Its still a damn good moive though.

It came out nationwide the 21st of January, and was only in a few theaters and festivals during the last couple of months, so it technically came out this year.
Pygmalion 12-01-2005 08:41 AM
For good movies that were released in the US this year, I suggest

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Corpse Bride
Howl's Moving Castle
March of the Penguins
Wallace and Gromit: Curse of the Were-Rabbit

For movies that looked good, but disappointed, I suggest

Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith
Steamboy

And for movies that looked so terrible in the trailer that I wouldn't go if you paid me,

Bewitched
Cheaper By the Dozen II
Chicken Little
Madagascar

My personal favorite was Wallace and Gromit and the movie I'd rather have teeth filled than see is Bewitched.

Pygmalion
BethMcBeth 12-01-2005 02:02 PM
Hmm the only movies that I liked and bothered to go see in the theatre were:

War of the Worlds (The Newer version)
Charile and the Chocolate Factory
Howls Moving Castle
Corpse Bride

And thats about all I bothered to go see.
*** The Croncials of Narnia: The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe***
I didn't think it was going to be good it ended up being great!
-Beth
Nine Kuze 12-01-2005 02:37 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Gonzo
quote:
Originally posted by Nine XXVI

It came out nationwide the 21st of January, and was only in a few theaters and festivals during the last couple of months, so it technically came out this year.

My bad, man. It's just that it was nominated for last year's Oscar ceremony and I thought the latter. Thanks for the correction.

Anyway, other movies that I thought were bad are 'The Dukes of Hazzard' and... wait a minute?! There's a sequeal to Cheaper By The Dozen?! Sweatdrop I thought that was a joke, damn it...

Oh, and Mr. and Mrs. Smith was okay. Not bad and not too great either.
Peace.
Randolph 12-16-2005 12:24 PM
Sin City and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory are by far the
best films of 2005.

Directors Robert Rodruiguez and Tim Burton are very high-class stuff.
They know their material seriously well.

For worst, I'd say more or less all the others.
It looks like there are but a few who know how films should be made.
Sad, really.
corrupt 12-16-2005 12:42 PM
best
ROTS
Narnia looks kik ass

worst
sideways... (ooooh drinking wine, oooo midlife crisis... thrilling)
corpse bride (a good film but people became obsessed with it, nameley my nemsises, the girls who love musicals and go to hot topic...)
Hanyou 12-16-2005 01:14 PM
If Elektra came out this year...without having seen it I can already tell it was the worst. I also hated War of the Worlds and I've heard that that Geisha movie is downright horrible.

The best? In order:

Walk the Line
Batman Begins
Narnia
Star Wars III
DorothyFan1 12-24-2005 09:22 PM
Best films in my opinion: Sin City, Batman Begins, King Kong. Now THAT'S a race for Best Picture we'll never see. If it was between these three films...my choice would go to Batman Begins. Hands down the best movie. Sin City was fantastic...original, and exciting. Unfortunately...too brutal in depiction of society's depravities. King Kong is also very good...and it may end up getting the coveted statue come March 2006 only because the Academy won't be bold enough to choose such brazenly entertaining films like Sin City. It's going to be interesting to see if the Academy nominates Mickey Rourke for his role of Marv...an incredible performance. Best Director should go to Christopher Nolan for Batman Begins. Best Actress...should be Naomi Watts...but I don't think the Academy is that "modern" enough to consider acting in front of blue screens is considered worthy of awards...yet.
Dark-0 12-24-2005 09:33 PM
Best Film- Batman Begins
Worst Film- Star Wars EP3 Revenge of the Sith
Fujiko 01-04-2006 01:37 AM
Best:
Batman Begins
Sin City
Kung Fu Hustle
Crash
Narnia
King Kong

Worst:
Aeon Flux
War of the Worlds (Worst...Ending...Ever!!!! Mad )

there's more i'm sure
evanASF27 01-04-2006 02:16 AM
Here's my list for best vs. worst.

DA BEST
-- * STEAMBOY (technically '04, but it didn't hit American theaters until '05)
-- Batman Begins (A good batman prequel...maybe not the best Batman movie, but still a good movie for '05)
-- Star Wars Ep. III (I thought it was pretty good. Most of the negative comments I've heard came from people who had the movie thought out in advance and didn't like the rendition Lucas made. Grevious kicked ass and you know it!)
-- Wallace & Gromit: Curse of the Were-Rabbit (despite some stupid idiot who did reviews on Amazon.com, this movie was AWESOME. Soundtrack, film, gags, everything was spot on)

Da Middle
-- The Great Raid (A friend and I went to see it. It was good, but a little freaky. Too much action in some of the scenes made it hard to really focus)
-- War of the Worlds (I never read the book, but supposedly that wonky ending was what happened in the story. It makes logical sense, but it's still not as bombastic as using a nuke on the suckers.)
-- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (a good movie, not one of the "best" of the year in my opinion, but a good movie. Though I'm sad John Williams didn't do the music...the guy who did do it though made a grand effort, and it came out rather well. The guy had to fill in for John freakin Williams!)

I don't list any movies that are "Da Wurst" because well...quite frankly I steer clear of them Tongue I haven't seen Narnia or Corpse Bride so I can't really give my opinion on those. ...though I will state one which I think was bad: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I dispise their usage of CG and copying one guy for all the Oompa loompas Sweatdrop Depp did a passable job as Mr. Wonka (a bit more "screw ball" as would be genuinely expected after being locked up for x-number of years Tongue )...but I prefer Gene Wilder. On the whole, I disliked the movie.

* In regards to STEAMBOY...the one they played in the theaters (and on PPV...which is how I saw that version) was HORRIBLY edited and made me understand just how so many people could come out confused after seeing the movie (ignoring those too stupid to look past the fact that the story revolves more around Ray and the Steamball than the name "Steamboy" Sweatdrop Come-on people, get with the program!) The "Director's Cut" DVD is STRONGLY recommended to be viewed FIRST. Important scenes are included and overall it flows much much better than the theatrical release (less confusing too). This movie can be compared to "Big O" in that it makes you think slightly while the movie progresses...it's not a simple "ahh look at the moving pictures" film, it's elaborate and have a deeper moral than other animated movies and certainly a good number of live-action films. Though, unlike Big O, it doesn't leave you with a cliffhanger ending that makes you want to spit out your soda. Tongue Don't listen to the websites, they only saw the theatrical release. The Director's Cut (as expected) is the only version that should be seen if you want to appreciate the work and spectacular artistic skill that went into producing the movie. Wink
...btw, the Soundtrack is a MUST. I brought it in one day to show a friend of mine in Band, and now she's gone out and bought her own CD...and is also interested in seeing the movie Big Grin
Sharpshooter005 01-05-2006 02:08 PM
Do you think if I digitally edit in oompa loompas and wizards, and a christ-lion to Syriana, people will stop seeming to forget it even came out (well..granted..it came out during that christmas movie boom)

edit: Oh and a giant monkey too. They could replace that subplot about the lawyer's dad...which...seemed to go nowhere. Or if it did it was overshadowed by the rest of the movie.

quote:
'Stealth'.

I read a plot summary for that. When it got to the part about how the robot plane downloads every piece of music ever recorded, then deems "slayer" is the height of mankinds acomplishments in that field, I just stopped.

Even now, I'm still...not totally sure how someone managed to think this up even.
Volt 01-05-2006 05:12 PM
I forgot to say that Charlie and the Choclate Factory was one of the worst movies. Actually, it takes the cake as the worst of the year. Or the past... fifty.