Some incomprehensible situations in 'the Big O'

Dangerous 11-28-2005 09:25 AM
I am sure there was a thread in the past which explained the answers to my question, but I ask it myself again.

In 'the Big O' there are so lot of details that I don't understand. ABOVE ALL THE STORIES OF SOME EPISODES, and details in the pictures that I don't understand.

Let me start with the enonciation of those details :

I) the stories I don't understand. Maybe you will wonder "what? he does not understand this? that's however easy to understand.", but I would like you to explain to me. Please Smile

1/ I don't understand the stories of the episodes 1 & 2; I mean about Dorothy. The episode 1 starts with Roger who frees Dorothy from Beck. And Mr Soldano arrives, and says "this thing is not Dorothy, this is not my DAUGHTER, this is an android" when he was speaking about Dorothy. Thus Mr Soldano has a daughter who seems like Dorothy the android, hasn't he? But why in the episode 2 Dorothy said "I have seen my father", in a street, when she was with Roger in his car, when she saw Mr Wayneright. Before diing, Mr Soldano said "you are Dorothy, you are my daughter, the true" although he ignored her. Confused

THUS MY QUESTION IS : WHO IS THE FATHER OF DOROTHY ? And I can add : who built Dorothy one? Mr Wayneright is the grand father of Dorothy, thus how was he incapable to confuse Dorothy his little daughter with an android. Roger said to Mr Wayneright "she is an android", and Mr W. didn't appreciate Roger's argument. Confused

And another question : why has Dorothy ignored Roger when he approached her when she was with her grand father Wayneright at the doors of the Nightin Gale club? Confused

2/ episode 4 : (underground terror) At a moment, Roger says "it is time for me to face my devils". Confused Why did he say that? And why did he go underground to arrive to the exposition?

3/ episode 5 : (bring back my ghost) Roger, on the bridge where Bonnie Fraser died, explained the circumstances of the policeman's death. A moment he said [ I directly translate from French becasue I have not the English version ] that Bonnie's mother (I don't remember her name) was so sad and terrified by Bonnie's death that she lost her memory.
THUS THAT MEANS THAT SHE DIDN'T LOSE HER MEMORY 40 YEARS AGO? Confused Because one year ago bonnie died; thus she had her memory just before Bonnie's death no ? [I repeat, I translate from the French version, thus maybe they made a mistake]

4/ episode 13 : (RD) I clearly don't understand this episode. The title RD refers according to me to R. Dorothy Wayneright. How is it possible that there are two Dorothy. There is the bad one who tried to kill Roger, and the good one. Confused Who built the bad one? And why is there a R.D. on the liste of people to be killed. Was the good Dorothy threatened? Explain me please.


Now I cease this first chapter. I am sure I will complete it afterwards. I don't remember my questions; there are so lot of things I don't understand. I am sure you too. It is true that I have not still watched the season two, and there are sureley answers for my questions. Please I would like you to answer to my questions if you know.


II) those details I don't understand.

1/ WHAT IS THE HEIGHT OF BIG O? It is as big as half of a house, sometime bigger in some episodes. However how is it possible that Big O, when the train transports him, is as little as the width of two ways of the metro? Confused The width of the metro is about 10 meters. Big O is bigger when we see him in the streets no? Hum, the width of a street is 10 meters or more. OK . But what about the length of Big O ? He is over 20 meters length. Thus the train must be about how much? 30, 40 meters ? Hum I persist to think that the train is not able to drive with simple metro railroads.

In the episode 6 (A legacy of Amadeus), when Roger called Big O in the forest to fight against Constance, how did Big O to appear in the forest? Does the train arrive there? Thus did the metro arrive there? Confused

2/ episode 12 (enemy is another Big) : Big Duo's hands are propellers, they are 4 fingers. How is it possible for this megadeus to fly with fingers instead of real propellers. Confused We well see Big Duo with fingers than propellers, how is it possible that he had real propellers in an episode of the second season ? We see Schwarzwald in front of him when he went to a hangar.

3/ About Norman : Where does he take rechange pieces to replace destroyed pieces of Big O? Who is his supplier? Who supplies Norman in munitions? The firm ? Confused

There are so lot of things, other details I don't remember now, but I will soon post the next questions.

Thank you to answer to my questions.
Bayardus 11-29-2005 05:09 PM
For episode 1 and 2, Soldano cared about retrieving the Megadeus Dorothy and didn't really care about the android Dorothy. From what I remember Dorothy was modelled after Dr. Wayneright's daughter who somehow died earlier(before the series begins). Thus Wayneright is both the creator of Dorothy and the father of the girl that Dorothy was modelled after.

In episode 4 I don't remember the line that you mention, but the underground is regarded by all as a place to fear and avoid at all costs. Maybe the line just means that Roger is ready to face his fears. Roger goes underground to find Shwartzwald who I believe mentions something about finding what he was searching for underground (part of the truth or something).

In Episode 5 Bonnie Frasier's Mom lost her memory 40 years ago just like everyone else, but when her son fell off the bridge everyone thought he was dead. The mom could not accept that, and thus was in denial. She never lost her memory a second time.

There are a few different interpretations on the RD in episode 13. I would do a search to learn about the various points of view.

As for the rest of your various questions, don't worry about the size of big O as it is not consistent, just like appearance of the characters. We have to assume that the "metro" goes everywhere in the series including water, even though logically the tunnels would become flooded. Some things are better left unquestioned. Same goes for Big Duo flying- though he does have rockets, so it makes a little more sense.

As for the ammunition and parts for Big O, it is widely agreed that Norman has some sort of vortex or other dimension behind his eyepatch. This is where all the ammunition for Big O like missiles or replacement arms come from. Whenever you do not understand where something came from like the huge machine gun in the "Missing Cat" just remember that Norman can pull anything he wants out of the vortex when nobody is watching.
Mr. Peabody 11-29-2005 05:52 PM
quote:
Originally posted by samirsouleyman
THUS MY QUESTION IS : WHO IS THE FATHER OF DOROTHY ? And I can add : who built Dorothy one? Mr Wayneright is the grand father of Dorothy, thus how was he incapable to confuse Dorothy his little daughter with an android. Roger said to Mr Wayneright "she is an android", and Mr W. didn't appreciate Roger's argument. Confused

And another question : why has Dorothy ignored Roger when he approached her when she was with her grand father Wayneright at the doors of the Nightin Gale club? Confused



Timothy Wayneright designed both R. Dorothy and Dorothy I. He then contacted Soldano and sold him the Dorothy I blueprints to purchase the materials needed to build R. Dorothy.

I think Wayneright identified himself as Dorothy's grandfather because he was too old to be her father. Wayneright's trying to pass Dorothy off as a human to society, and identifying himself as her father could lead to questions he'd rather not answer.

I like to think that Wayneright recognized Roger as Dorothy's beau from 40 years ago and tried to stop him from interfering with his new daughter's life.

Dorothy didn't exactly ignore Roger at the Nightingale Club, but she was following her father's orders. This was her first social gathering and Wayneright likely told her that everything would be fine if she followed his orders.
BigPrime 12-01-2005 11:17 PM
Don't ask too many questions about anime physics, it only kills catgirls. Please, think of the catgirls. Big Grin Big Grin

Seriously:

1. This is pretty well answered. Timothy Wayneright designed R. Dorothy after his late daughter as well as Dorothy 1. He sold the plans to Soldano so that he could have the money to build the androids. Soldano had no real daughter, he wanted his giant robot back but he couldn't say that to Roger. It just happened that Beck & co. had kidnapped Wayneright's android as well as the megadeus, not even realizing how useful she'd be. When Roger negotiated with them, himself having no idea Soldano had no daughter, it was easy to dupe him.

As to Wayneright, he sought to recreate a daughter he lost 40 years earlier in whatever happened then. However, he is quite old, so he claims she's his granddaughter publicly to unwanted questions. He's just an old man who wanted a few years of peace with the only loved one he could remember and especially doesn't want a nosy Negotiator making accusations at him in a public place (very, very tactless on Roger's part).

2. Roger doesn't say "devils" in the English dub, he says its time for him to face his fears. Everyone fears the Underground, even Roger Smith, though he hates to admit it. At that point, he had to face those fears if he were to fulfill his contract with Paradigm.

3. She lost her memory of before Forty years ago forty years ago. She purposely forgot the circumstances of losing Bonnie because she loved him and didn't want him to be gone. She insisted he was still alive when everyone said he was dead.

4. R-D is still a mystery to us all. Ultimately, that list was a trap and a test on Roger from Paradigm, I figure. If he died, he'd be out of the way and eliminated, just as the rest of the Tomatoes were. Dorothy herself was never a part of that plot, they just wanted Roger out of the way. The easiest way to do that is to lead him on and kill him in some out of the way place, such as an abandoned subway tunnel.

5. Big O's height varies in animation. Don't think about it. Officially it stands 30 meters tall.

6. The finger/propellers change in their shape depending on what they do. Don't ask how. In the second season, Big Duo is modified and has different hands that are always propeller-like, indicating that Paradigm can't quite replicate the nature of the original hands (much as R. Instro's complex hands could not be properly replicated).

7. Norman's supplier is unknown. However, it is most definitely NOT Paradigm Group. Roger has as little to do with them as humanly possible, and if they were making megadeus parts, they wouldn't be selling them.
Lost_Cyborg 12-05-2005 08:52 AM
quote:
As to Wayneright, he sought to recreate a daughter he lost 40 years earlier in whatever happened then. However, he is quite old, so he claims she's his granddaughter publicly to unwanted questions. He's just an old man who wanted a few years of peace with the only loved one he could remember and especially doesn't want a nosy Negotiator making accusations at him in a public place (very, very tactless on Roger's part).


I rather agree (@_@ woo... Strange posh ness) but also Roger is rather protective of Dorothy in the first two episodes, more so then her employing him, he seems to actually care, even that early on, no one knew he was working for her, except possibly Norman, so I doubt he was afraid for his rep.
He seemed, at first, to almost shun her, and not care (I would say he was slightly Andro-phobic but for Instro), how ever when he sees her as a control centre thingamy for Dorothy 1 and reaching up towards Dorothy 1 he really seems distressed.
I think when he sees her with her farther/grandfather who he doesn’t know (and he already seems a little upset to me) he panics on Dorothy’s behalf and demands to know what is happening, despite shattering his cool exterior in the process.
(Wow, if that makes sence to you I'd be amazed.)
-------
Something which has been confusing me, is the way in the first season the relationship between Roger and Dorothy seems to grow and grow, then in the second season, Dorothy's thoughts on the subject stay the same while Roger's seem to go up and down like a stormy sea! One moment you think he wouldn't think twise about ignoring her/forgeting about her/ going off with Angel, and the next he's totaly infatuated! Or iritated, at the mention of the idea and stressed out... A sure sign there is meant to be something there between them.
Is it just that Roger is meant to be torn between Angel and Dorothy? But he knew Angel in the 1st season, and she seemed to 'like' him then, after all, what really happed at the end of Act 14 to make her look after Big O and cry, just after Roger looked over at Dorothy and smile? Or was it Angel saw it was Roger piloting Big O and she was upset that she was fighting against him? But didn't she already know?
Dark-0 12-05-2005 09:37 AM
If my memory is correct the whole RD thing was set up by Alex Rosewater. In Act 25 when Vera is explaining to Angel about the youngsters and the senators who had memories of 40 year's ago but couldn't remember anything other than that. There were killed the very fact when they knew they couldn't remember anything. When Angel asks Vera who done this it was Alex. The question is where did he find RD in the first place. Could he have gotten access to the Wayneright Mansion or was RD abandoned in a empty subway tunnel. There more to the underground than expected with fears and searching for the truth.
Mr. Peabody 12-05-2005 01:58 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Lost_Cyborg
-------
Something which has been confusing me, is the way in the first season the relationship between Roger and Dorothy seems to grow and grow, then in the second season, Dorothy's thoughts on the subject stay the same while Roger's seem to go up and down like a stormy sea! One moment you think he wouldn't think twise about ignoring her/forgeting about her/ going off with Angel, and the next he's totaly infatuated! Or iritated, at the mention of the idea and stressed out... A sure sign there is meant to be something there between them.
Is it just that Roger is meant to be torn between Angel and Dorothy?


The love triangle is the best thing about season 2: Roger is torn by his growing feelings for Dorothy against his attraction to Angel; Dorothy and Angel are jealous of any attention Roger gives to their rival. Dorothy comes out the winner, and Angel makes a tearful apology for the harsh treatment she showed to the android girl.
Lost_Cyborg 12-05-2005 04:49 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Peabody
quote:
Originally posted by Lost_Cyborg
-------
Something which has been confusing me, is the way in the first season the relationship between Roger and Dorothy seems to grow and grow, then in the second season, Dorothy's thoughts on the subject stay the same while Roger's seem to go up and down like a stormy sea! One moment you think he wouldn't think twise about ignoring her/forgeting about her/ going off with Angel, and the next he's totaly infatuated! Or iritated, at the mention of the idea and stressed out... A sure sign there is meant to be something there between them.
Is it just that Roger is meant to be torn between Angel and Dorothy?


The love triangle is the best thing about season 2: Roger is torn by his growing feelings for Dorothy against his attraction to Angel; Dorothy and Angel are jealous of any attention Roger gives to their rival. Dorothy comes out the winner, and Angel makes a tearful apology for the harsh treatment she showed to the android girl.


I know that there is a love triangle (when you go up with Spiderman and X-men ECT... You grow to recognise them Tongue ), and I remember Angel saying she was going to leave, perhaps giving up on having Roger for herself, but that doesn't really explain the whole "Crying at the end of Act 14" which was the last Act of the 1st season.
One theory I have is this: Possibly it that the writers first intended to keep the Dorothy-Roger thing going on, and something 'happened' (many say a kiss) at the end of Act 14, and because the front of Big O is blown out at the time, Angel could see from her perch at the end of the peer, it was this which caused her to cry. However, when it came to airing this episode, the writers where already thinking about season 2, but not in enough detail to really know what they wanted to do, then Big O was taken off air for quite a while and it's only been recently that season 2 has been writen. If they where thinking about season 2 at this point, then possibly Act 14 was edited (remember, it was the first climax, it's possible it was longer before), and something was taken out to keep the to come love triangle more even on ether side; after all, Roger never ACTULLY kisses Angel on the beach, he hesiates and instently gets ridiculed.
Perhaps everything was ready to go on the production of season 2 when Big O was canceled. I know when I first watched Big O on Toonami, I saw the entire 1st season twice before I ever saw the 2nd, it looped the 1st THEN brought in the 2nd.
Ollen70 12-06-2005 01:41 AM
Honestly, I never thought about Angel crying in act 14 having anything to do with Roger. She does it after the foreign megadeuses are destroyed, and if I remember correctly, she's actually looking at [I]them[/I], not at the Big O. I thought it was because she expected what was going to happen with Big Fau and the Union, and was crying because she expected some type of disaster to come from it. She lets go of the balloon, which to me implies that she's obviously thinking about the Union. Or, it's possible she's crying because of her conflicting loyalties, because she's going to have to end up lying to someone - either Roger or the Vera and the Union.
Lost_Cyborg 12-06-2005 01:31 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Ollen70
Honestly, I never thought about Angel crying in act 14 having anything to do with Roger. She does it after the foreign megadeuses are destroyed, and if I remember correctly, she's actually looking at [I]them[/I], not at the Big O. I thought it was because she expected what was going to happen with Big Fau and the Union, and was crying because she expected some type of disaster to come from it. She lets go of the balloon, which to me implies that she's obviously thinking about the Union. Or, it's possible she's crying because of her conflicting loyalties, because she's going to have to end up lying to someone - either Roger or the Vera and the Union.

That makes alot of sence, however I'm a soppy romanic sod (dispite hiding it quite well in my day to day life) and prefer my idea, however I'll not forget your's and I'll remind my self of it whenever I think of that episode so I have a really sensible idea there to.

(However, we both came down to loyaltys there.)

I don't think it's for the foreign megadei, she does say it's to early, or something, maybe she was hoping that Roger would actully, TOTALY destroy the megadei, including Fau.