Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Pygmalion 11-27-2005 10:14 PM
I think this movie stacks up well against the first, which I consider the best so far. Naturally, there is no way all 750-odd pages of the book can make it into a 2:37 movie, but I think Mike Newell and his team have streamlined a solid movie based around the Tri-Wizard Tournament and the unexpected coda to the Maze.

One of the things I noticed this time around is how many of the supporting characters were back. There were few scenes where I didn't see Sean, Dean, Neville, or one of the Weasleys -- in fact, there weren't too many scenes where I didn't get the feeling that Hogwarts was overfull this year. There didn't seem too many places where a boy could go for some privacy!

The special effects were excellent as usual, and generally didn't stand out so as to distract from the scenes they were a part of. I knew that Hungarian Horntail was computer magic, but when the tail came stabbing down, I flinched.

My suggestion: consider the movie an appetizer, and read the book again.

Pygmalion
Buck Buck #1 11-28-2005 09:06 PM
This movie was most excellent indeed. I actually really liked it, even though it seemed like if you hadn't read the book it wouldn't make all that much sense.
Patsai 11-28-2005 09:28 PM
I'm pretty disappointed. I went to see it with a friend, and we both got the same reaction out of the movie. It was very corny, and we almost left during the ball-dance scene. Perhaps the only thing worth noting was near the end when
spoiler (highlight to read):
a hand was decapitated

but overall I couldn't believe we wasted the time to see this movie. This is just my opinion though, and although I had a dislike for the Harry Potter movies in the first place, my thoughts completely changed after seeing the third movie. I guess this one reverted it back.
KittyTheHitwoman 12-01-2005 04:03 AM
Spoilers, spoilers, how to do this without spoilers.....hmm.....

....aaaand, I can't! But I'll try to keep spoilage to a minimum. By minimum, I mean vague general events, and not so much the specific plot points.

Which is the MINIMUM punishment y'all deserve for not reading the book!! The book is pristine, and you should definitely not judge it by the movie...

Cool Ahem, on with the review!! *trumpets, please*

You know, I never thought I'd say this, but the Prisoner of Azkaban was actually better. Oh sure, at the time me and my friends went to see PoA, we spent days bitching about all the ways it differed from the book, but what the 3rd movie did manage to capture was the overall feeling of the 3rd book, something which the Goblet of Fire movie severely lacked. Yes, it had drama, and yes it was interesting (for the most part), but it lacked atmosphere, it lacked style, and really, it lacked magic.

Honestly, it this is the price to pay for reducing the 700+ page book into a 120 page script, they were better off splitting it into 2 movies. Everything felt so rushed, certain characters were cut out (no!! Winky!!!), as well as some challenges (no!!! The Sphinx!!!!). The sad thing you notice about the movie was that
spoiler (highlight to read):
there were virtually no classes shown (kind of defeating the point of them BEING IN A SCHOOL at all), as well as almost no spells being taught. Yep, it was pretty much all about the fun and the extracurricular activities, such as the Tournament and the Ball. We didn't get to know neither Victor Krum, nor Fleur DeLaCour, not Cedric, really, which took away from us actually giving a damn about these characters.
A positive side to this chop-suey filmmaking was that not everything in the movie was explained, (hopefully) compelling the audience to go out and read the freakin book.

God, the acting blew worst of all. Even Alan Rickman was off his game -- the few lines he had were delivered with a melodramatic entendre, overkill even for his character. Emma Watson still can't act. Daniel Radcliffe isn't too good, but he's learning. The dude who plays Dumbledore is kinda freaking me out.....he doesn't so much convey an image of a wise old mentor as a craaaaazy old geezer. *sadness*
The only actors who didn't suck were Brendan Gleeson (did a spectacular job despite the dumbass eyeball.....my GOD was that the worst-constructed prop ever!!) and Rupert Grint, whose talents are often squandered on comic relief.

But hey, I heard if you haven't read the book, it's supposed to come of as this awesome film full of twists and character development. Buuuuut, if you HAVE read the book, you're gonna find yourself glaring at the screen and glancing at your watch, and only in the end will the movie start to pay off.

A little.

Oh, and the special effects were excellent! Thumbs Up

My only hope is that they'll take all the money they got from this movie, boot Mike Newell and his .... lets say "peculiar" views on directing, learn from their mistakes and make the 5th movie the kickass-iest ever.
BethMcBeth 12-01-2005 02:13 PM
quote:
Originally posted by KittyTheHitwoman
While I'm on the subject.....If anyone wants to read the books, they're available free online here (in .pdf):

[Removed]

Sweet! Thank you so much for posting this! I can actually try to read them again without trying to have my syblings mail me the book!

As for the new movie there was still a huge line in CA for it, maybe I'll see it probably when its out on DVD or something.

-Beth
Travis Bickle 12-01-2005 04:44 PM
quote:
While I'm on the subject.....If anyone wants to read the books, they're available free online here (in .pdf):

[Removed]

Wow, that's really illegal. Have fun in court ^_^
Nine Kuze 12-01-2005 04:50 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Gonzo
quote:

[Removed]

That's the best thing I heard all damn day.
Peace.
Travis Bickle 12-01-2005 04:58 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Nine XXVI
quote:
quote:

[Removed]

That's the best thing I heard all damn day, Scott Anime Smile It's short but striaght to the point. But that's illegal you say?
*Deletes all his free online books of The Godfather*
Peace.

It actually wasn't all that funny...
KittyTheHitwoman 12-01-2005 06:02 PM
quote:

Aw!! It's so adorable how you think I'll get caught!!! Big Grin Especially because I used an anonymous login on a pubic computer to both upload it and to cite it here(: I have no qualms about breaking copyright laws -- these books are meant to be appreciated regardless of whether you have 20$ to spend per book or not.

Really, you guys, this isn't an easy-to-trace fileshare program -- it's direct download, so if anyone wants them please don't worry about being hauled off to court, and just enjoy the books, ok?.....and if you're still paranoid about it, download it on a public computer and burn it onto a CD.

Enjoy!!

(by the way, the links work, right?? I got an email about how to post my links properly which got me questioning my hyperlinking skills....)
Travis Bickle 12-01-2005 06:08 PM
quote:
quote:
quote:

[Removed]

Aw!! It's so adorable how you think I'll get caught!!! Big Grin Especially because I used an anonymous login on a pubic computer to both upload it and to cite it here(: I have no qualms about breaking copyright laws -- these books are meant to be appreciated regardless of whether you have 20$ to spend per book or not.

Really, you guys, this isn't an easy-to-trace fileshare program -- it's direct download, so if anyone wants them please don't worry about being hauled off to court, and just enjoy the books, ok?.....and if you're still paranoid about it, download it on a public computer and burn it onto a CD.

Enjoy!!

(by the way, the links work, right?? I got an email about how to post my links properly which got me questioning my hyperlinking skills....)

That's cool and all, but I have a cousin that's got a nice job at Scholastic Books making sure stuff like this doesn't happen, and I pointed this out to her, so have fun. Be sure that, next time, if you do something like this, don't leave so much info in your profile.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.
Hienrich Ele 12-01-2005 06:10 PM
You can't post this here. I ain't a stickler for copyright laws, as I think most of them are damned stupid myself. But the rules clearly state:

"Posting obscene or illegal links/images/text is not allowed."

Illegal links is the one yours falls under. I'd take them down now, unless you would like a mod to do it for you, which I am sure one will. You are new, mistakes happen.

And as for the whole point of this thread, I was supposed to see it with my friends, but I was busy at the time. They said it was good, and they aren't big Harry Potter fans. So I may get a kick out of seeing it.
KittyTheHitwoman 12-01-2005 10:03 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Hienrich Ele

"Posting obscene or illegal links/images/text is not allowed."

That's ok, I'll take it down, no prob.

If anyone still wants the files, feel free to email me and I'll give you the link.

quote:

Be sure that, next time, if you do something like this, don't leave so much info in your profile.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

What info? You mean my free email account and a joke myspace profile that says I'm from Uruguay?? ....o.....k.........

Thanx for the welcome, however ungenuine it may be(:
Generalissimo D 12-01-2005 10:12 PM
Uhh...take the files off the webspace...or get all the members that quoted your original post to edit their posts.
evanASF27 12-01-2005 10:39 PM
Well I saw the movie...definately the most morbid one of the series I've seen. It felt at times like it was lacking some things...but the challenges scenes were really well put together (imho). Especially the dragon fight...every little detail they put in there made it better ^_^

Though there was one thing that was said constantly the days following when everyone in my school saw the movie:
quote:
Hermione is HOT!!!
CoCoaPuFF CatX 12-13-2005 10:11 PM
Harry Potter 4 was a really good one concidering the last one had confused me a little bit ( i hate time loops) but i think that it is worth the money to go see it