Walk The Line

Generalissimo D 11-26-2005 01:10 AM
IMDb entry
Official Site

This movie was awesome. Very, very nicely done. Joaquin Pheonix's little lip thing bothered me throughout the first part, but I finally decided to ignore that.

Anyone else seen it?
Sharpshooter005 11-26-2005 01:15 AM
When I heard they weren't doing the thing where they dub in the actual songs, it kind of freaked me out, since that system did work well when it was done in Ray.

But now that I've heard its good. I'm optimistic...I'd really like to go see this, if I had some kind of access to a movie theater.

So basically...now it's a sure rental. I guess.
Kittie heavenly6 11-26-2005 01:19 AM
I'm positive me and Spooky are going to go see it the first chance we get. Really looking forward to it as I grew up listening to Johnny Cash. I've heard great things abou it aswell.
Travis Bickle 11-26-2005 01:23 AM
I was never that big of a Johnny Cash fan, but the movie was amazing. If Phoenix doesn't win the Oscar, then I'll be surprised.
Kittie heavenly6 11-26-2005 01:33 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Gonzo
I was never that big of a Johnny Cash fan

Isn't there a law against that?
Travis Bickle 11-26-2005 01:44 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Kittie heavenly6
quote:
I was never that big of a Johnny Cash fan

Isn't there a law against that?

Not really. While we're at it, let's add Guns & Roses, Beach Boys, Paul McCartney/Wings, Phish, Elvis, Brian Eno, Black Sabbath and Oasis. I still respect them all as musicians ('cept Axl and Ozzy). If they want to make biopics out of them, then go for it.
Kittie heavenly6 11-26-2005 01:59 AM
Thats the last time I try a joke
Travis Bickle 11-26-2005 02:01 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Kittie heavenly6
Thats the last time I try a joke

Whatever bloats your foat.
Generalissimo D 11-26-2005 12:53 PM
I never heard much Cash aside from When The Man Comes Around or Ring of Fire(Which Captain Harlock sung to me once for reasons I don't care for).

The dub system worked well and if I recall correctly he did some of his own singing. Tt was delightful to see fireworks blow off the branch of a tree.

Oscar stuff it is.
dominusofdeath 11-26-2005 01:43 PM
quote:
Originally posted by D-Boy
I never heard much Cash aside from When The Man Comes Around or Ring of Fire(Which Captain Harlock sung to me once for reasons I don't care for).

Damn right I did. And I dont need a reason to sing.

My friends and I are rabid Johnny Cash fans. And we went to see the movie on opening day and we were impressed.
Hanyou 11-26-2005 10:38 PM
Amazing. Being the avid Cash fan that I am, I am VERY happy that this movie has provided such an accurate portrayal.

Half of it is musical! I think Reese Witherspoon steals the show but Phoenix, being the awesome actor that he is, isn't that bad at all.

Movie of the year; it'd be nothing less than an abomination for anything else to win the oscar.
088nd 11-26-2005 11:07 PM
I saw it. It was good. Good acting by both Witherspoone and Phoenix.
Travis Bickle 11-26-2005 11:52 PM
spoiler (highlight to read):
The one thing that really got to me was that it mostly focused on his years of drug abuse and briefly on the peaceful times before and after that. And the movie ended right after he got married.

Should've been longer. But meh. The acting was awesome. I never knew Reese Witherspoon could actually act!
Hanyou 11-26-2005 11:57 PM
quote:
The one thing that really got to me was that it mostly focused on his years of drug abuse and briefly on the peaceful times before and after that. And the movie ended right after he got married.

...Which leaves the whole thing open for a sequel, naturally.

n.n
Travis Bickle 11-26-2005 11:59 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Hanyou
quote:

...Which leaves the whole thing open for a sequel, naturally.

n.n

Yeah, that's not going to happen. Sequels to biopics never really happen, and when (and if) they do, they bomb.
Hanyou 11-27-2005 12:10 AM
quote:
Yeah, that's not going to happen. Sequels to biopics never really happen, and when (and if) they do, they bomb.

Difference is, this was almost left open by design.

Frankly, I can't think of a single biopic sequel, but that's primarily because most biopics make it a point to cover as much ground as they possibly can. Even if this movie remains sequel-less (which, according to you, is an inevitability) I will still be happy with the final result.

"Walk the Line" covered the years that made Johnny Cash who he was in as much detail as was possible. Those years of drug abuse turned him into country's greatest rebel and, ultimately, Christian evangelists' best friend (he'd been to hell and back...always a plus). While there's quite a bit of story left to tell, it would have been anticlimactic to cover the rest of his life in "Walk the Line."

Though I gotta admit, seeing Phoenix's Cash give "mainstream country" the finger woulda been nice.
Travis Bickle 11-27-2005 12:17 AM
There have been multiple Beatles biopics. They all sucked, though, and had nothing to do with each other.
Hanyou 11-27-2005 12:22 AM
quote:
There have been multiple Beatles biopics. They all sucked, though, and had nothing to do with each other.

...Which means they weren't sequels.

Tell me though, why are you so convinced a sequel to a biopic would bomb when you're not even sure such a thing has existed? You really have no proof.

And even if you did, this is a different animal.

What saddens me most is that "Walk the Line" was inevitably drowned out by "Harry Potter," so its box office returns weren't half as impressive as they could have been. Damn shame.
Patsai 11-28-2005 09:23 PM
Meh, just because it rings in more dough doesn't mean it's the better of the two movies. I recently got into Johnny Cash, and just a week before the TV spots started appearing. I went to see the movie and I was extremely impressed with how well it went. It was a bit long, but it was sure better money and time spent than going to see "The Goblet of Fire" (a major disappointment).