To Hollywood

Patsai 11-24-2005 01:42 PM
Yeah, recently I've seen a huge rush of video game-based movies coming out in theatres. Well, everyone has. The recent "Doom" movie was pretty good, and I can't much complain about previous attempts besides the Super Mario Bros. movie that everyone so hates. But what got me thinking was when they confirmed the production of a Halo movie and that Peter Jackson is co-directing the film as well. It'd be a treat to see it on the screen, but now there's word out that the rights to a Metroid movie have been given to John Woo. Now Nintendo has confirmed that if the Metroid movie goes well, they're planning a Zelda movie too.

In your honest opinion, should Hollywood and the video game industry allow all these franchises to be milked and risk turning something gold into rust?
evanASF27 11-24-2005 01:43 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Patsai
In your honest opinion, should Hollywood and the video game industry allow all these franchises to be milked and risk turning something gold into rust?

Only if they do another (hopefully "better") Super Mario Bros. movie Wink
Patsai 11-24-2005 01:46 PM
quote:
Originally posted by P.D.Q. Beck

From Nintendo:

"That said, Fils-Aime also said Nintendo is currently focusing all its efforts on the Metroid movie. Zelda is being considered as a following project, with the possibility of another Mario movie following that."
evanASF27 11-24-2005 01:54 PM
quote:
quote:

From Nintendo:

"That said, Fils-Aime also said Nintendo is currently focusing all its efforts on the Metroid movie. Zelda is being considered as a following project, with the possibility of another Mario movie following that."

They've got my support! Big Grin
Generalissimo D 11-24-2005 06:13 PM
quote:
quote:
quote:

From Nintendo:

They've got my support! Big Grin

The Metroid movies old news really...and Development hell hasn't really been nice to it. I honestly love the Mario movie, anyone's complaints be damned.

But I concur on a Metroid movie. Heres to hoping.
Sharpshooter005 11-24-2005 07:23 PM
I sure am glad zelda/mario/metroid are franchises that never interested me, so when this blows up I'll just be apathetic.

Meanwhile, it's looking more and more like the silent hill movie is something it's okay to be cautiously optimistic about.
The Big Finale 11-24-2005 10:30 PM
The Mario movie was good as a stand-alone movie with no direct connection to the games. As a Mario movie, it sucked horribly. I'd only give another one a chance if it was CG, based more off the games, and had the actual voice actors. High hopes, true, but still...

Also, despite my general dislike towards the original film, I'd like to note that "Plumber alert!" is by far one of the greatest movie quotes ever spoken.
Travis Bickle 11-24-2005 11:25 PM
What we need are movies based on anime. Battle Angel is (hopefully on the horizon), but I wouldn't mind seeing Skeet Ulrich or someone grow a sweet afro and chase people for bounties and whatnot through the galaxy.