eccentric/shocking/gory books

Blue Crow 11-17-2005 03:50 PM
i love reading, but it's rare that i find a book that interests me enough to be excited about it.

i've found that the books i enjoy the most are some of the most shocking/offensive/violent many have ever read.

i've recently finished anthony burgess' a clockwork orange (i have never seen the film, but plan to soon), and i must say that it was quite a superb bit of reading. for those unfamiliar with the story, it featured a young man and his friends going about attacking and raping people, stealing things, doing drugs, as well as other frowned-upon things.

but my problem is that it's horribly difficult to find books of this calibur that are worth reading.

could any of you suggest something somewhat in the same vein for me to pick up?

-BC
Sharpshooter005 11-17-2005 03:52 PM
quote:
The way narrowed through rocks and by and by they came to a bush that was hung with dead babies. They stopped side by side, reeling in the heat. These small victims, seven, eight of them, had holes punched in their underjaws and were hung so by their throats from the broken stubs of a mesquite to stare eyeless at the naked sky."

Cormac McCarthy > most.

Okay granted, I thought it all fit very well with the setting. But theres probably someone out there who would go "wait why did that guy just shoot the puppy for no reason".

And no thats not what I'd even say was the "worst" action in the novel.

Apparently they're making no country for old men (which...I still havent gotten around to finishing) into a movie. Someone has the rights to do that with blood meridian, but it had better not EVER happen. Because the only way to do it would be to strip so much out or face the inevitable backlash.

The upside is if done correctly, the movie would probably cause the head of at least one person per showing to explode in a geyser of blood and skull matter.
Travis Bickle 11-17-2005 03:57 PM
Oh, my brother.

The book is awesome, but the movie pwns it hard.

Then be cool like me (or not?) and become somewhat fluent in NADSAT.
Blue Crow 11-17-2005 04:02 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Gonzo

oh,my brother.

nadsat is like real horrorshow, my droogie.

quote:
Originally posted by Sharpshooter005
Cormac McCarthy > most.

i must say, if anyone enjoys a dead baby, it's me.

i'll be sure to check that out. thanks. Pleased

-BC
Travis Bickle 11-17-2005 08:55 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Blue Crow
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Gonzo

oh,my brother.

nadsat is like real horrorshow, my droogie.

You have much to learn, young malchick.

VIDDY THIS
Zopwx2 11-17-2005 10:11 PM
I've read AWO and liked it, have only seen parts of the movie though.

But its Kubrick so it must pwn.
angelcakes 11-20-2005 12:07 PM
Well...if you can get through the less gory first installment of the two part (for now) series that begins with 'Through Violet Eyes' and get to 'With Red Hands' then gory you will recieve. It's a bit of scifi...a bit of CSI...but 'With Red Hands' seems to be a book you should check out.