Big O Season 3 Petition

ZeaLitY 11-15-2005 04:00 PM
Last time I posted here was in 2004. That year, I tried to calm down my thoughts about Big O not getting a third season. They've finally mounted and come to the surface; I simply can't stand around anymore. I am launching a real petition that will garner real signatures to revive season three. The reason I'm undertaking such an effort is that real petitions work. Simple letter campaigns in the past have lengthened shows such as Quantum Leap; a full blown petition will pose an unignorable influence to the network and will shape a decision to renew the series. We have all the facts that Big O was a phenomenal success, and we also have a large anime fanbase.

I'm starting this thread to sort of coordinate the planning phase of the thread. Once the petition is ready for launch, every Big O venue will move forward all at once to blast off. At the moment, we're still forming the petition. Before going any further, here's the petition model and checklist. It's 1,500 words, but it's highly organized and gives us a clear model to follow. Remember that real petitions work. Try to read the entire thing, or just get the jist of it.

http://cc.herograw.org/Zeality/bigo.txt

Reviewed it? Are you possibly excited? I am! Now, we must get down to business immediately. Creating the petition will be easy; the hardest part will be the debut, but we don't have to worry about that for awhile. Let us commence the planning stage. We are ready to create the actual petition document at this point.

Firstly, we require a perfect mission statement. If any of you know lawyers, run this by them. Additionally, try to improve it any way you can! We intend to be clear, straightforward, and "legal".

quote:
The purpose of this petition is to ensure the production and distribution of a third season of the anime series The Big O, a successful program that aired on the Adult Swim programming block of the Cartoon Network from [year] to [year]. The show was a hit, and the writers noted they had a storyline that would fill further episodes beyond the second season. The original fanbase has continued to grow with each airing of the series despite there having been no new episodes produced in over two years.

Once the Mission Statement is done, we can work on constructing the actual virtual documents.
Krang 11-15-2005 10:07 PM
This petition sounds like a great idea, and it provides a way for all Big O fans (or at least the ones who want to see more episodes produced) to work toward the same goal. I'm not sure about the legal aspect, but I think the mission statement sounds very good the way it is.

If you need help filling in the years, Big O originally aired on Toonami in April 2001, then the first season re-aired on Adult Swim in 2003, leading up to the debut of season two on August 3, 2003. The final episode aired on November 2, 2003, although reruns of the two seasons have aired on and off since then.
ZeaLitY 11-17-2005 06:29 PM
I've had a flurry of homework recently, but I'm clear now. I've been working on the mission statement and should be nearing completion.

Remember, this isn't a question of if Big O will get revived through a petition -- it's when, and every piece of assistance counts!
ZeaLitY 11-20-2005 08:38 PM
Okay, after asking around and whatnot, the current mission statement seems to be pretty good.

quote:
The purpose of this petition is to ensure the production and distribution of a third season of the anime series The Big O, a successful program that aired on the Adult Swim programming block of the Cartoon Network from 2001 to 2003. The show was a hit, and the writers noted they had a storyline that would fill further episodes beyond the second season. The original fanbase has continued to grow with each airing of the series despite there having been no new episodes produced in over two years. We hereby pledge our support and continued viewership for a third season.

'Viewership' works well, because it directly means "those who watch a TV program."

Next up is creating the actual petition. I'm going to put together a demonstration model in Word and upload it soon.
ZeaLitY 11-21-2005 04:13 PM
Oh, and the guys at SBO are at work drafting a letter that will be sent to Turner asking how many signatures a petition would require to be most influential. If anyone here wants to help draft a letter or review, let me know. Just so you know, the targets will be:

Turner Broadcasting System, Inc.
One CNN Center
Atlanta, Georgia 30303

CARTOON NETWORK
http://www.cartoonnetwork.com/feedback/index.html

ADULT SWIM
http://www.adultswim.com/gen/contact/index.html

Time Warner Inc.
One Time Warner Center
New York, NY10019-8016

A four-pronged attack should guarantee a response, and we can also compare the responses to see if we're just being yanked around (for instance, if there is a discrepancy between the number of signatures given by either target we ask).
Krang 11-21-2005 10:31 PM
The current mission statement sounds good to me also. The additional sentence added to the end makes it sound more complete in my opinion.

quote:
Originally posted by ZeaLitY
Just so you know, the targets will be:

One CNN Center
Atlanta, Georgia 30303

CARTOON NETWORK

ADULT SWIM

Time Warner Inc.
One Time Warner Center
New York, NY10019-8016

A four-pronged attack should guarantee a response, and we can also compare the responses to see if we're just being yanked around (for instance, if there is a discrepancy between the number of signatures given by either target we ask).

Although it might take too long to ask them about the number of signatures required, will the finalized petition be sent to any of the Japanese companies as well (Sunrise and Bandai)? That way, if the worst case scenario happens, we can at least fall back on a possible DVD-only release.
Tony Waynewrong 11-22-2005 09:52 AM
I think this is a great idea. I remember working with other PCF members to get one off the ground. However, that didn't work out.

I really hope this one does and I pledge my support to this cause. Kudos to you, ZeaLitY, for coordinating this effort.
BethMcBeth 11-22-2005 09:58 AM
Wow! This this is exactly what we need! And I give my full support! I volunteer to set up a P.O. Box if needs be so that Tony and I and collect the signatures through mail and send them onward. Thank you so very much and I will help in anyway possible.

-Beth
ZeaLitY 11-22-2005 04:40 PM
Yeah, though we may not have to send them to those companies (a letter to Bandai revealed they think EVENTUALLY a new Big O show will be made), I guess it's only proper that we do deliver them. The hard part will be having the people with the letters make copies of every single signature sheet. A labor of love, of course!

Thanks for the encouragement. We will see a new season.
ZeaLitY 12-04-2005 07:26 PM
Here is what I've been working on. I'm trying to decide how best to ask the companies the amount of signatures we need to revive Big O. I'm not sure how to articulate that exactly.

quote:
I am writing on behalf of fans of the television show Big O that aired on Cartoon Network beginning in 1999. We are currently organizing a petition to have a third season created, as the second season garnered high ratings and the series creator has stated that much more story is yet to be told in the world of the show.

How many signatures are needed on such a petition to inf

Thank for reading and considering my request.

Sincerely,
Shredder 12-04-2005 11:17 PM
quote:
Originally posted by ZeaLitY
Here is what I've been working on. I'm trying to decide how best to ask the companies the amount of signatures we need to revive Big O. I'm not sure how to articulate that exactly.

quote:
I am writing on behalf of fans of the television show Big O that aired on Cartoon Network beginning in 1999. We are currently organizing a petition to have a third season created, as the second season garnered high ratings and the series creator has stated that much more story is yet to be told in the world of the show.

How many signatures are needed on such a petition to inf

Thank for reading and considering my request.

Sincerely,

Great start so far. Maybe something like this?

"How many signatures on such a petition do you feel would be needed to reflect that a significant number of fans would be interested in a third season of Big O?"

You might also want to mention somewhere that this will be a formal, written petition campaign, not one of those online petitions that you see everywhere (but never work). Good luck!
Lost_Cyborg 12-06-2005 11:57 AM
*still reading petition*

I've a few things to say and I'm sure more will apear as I continue to read:

1) Being in England I don't have AS, however I DO have CN and (on a seperate channel) Toonami, saddly, although Big O is back on AS, it's not back on here. I know this petition is about season 3, but is it possible to add about having us poor people not having Big O at all; that is, something about making the 3rd season and airing it on AS and Toonami.
I think it's such shame that even the French get AS when we don't, I'm beging to think we're one of the few countries which DON'T have AS.

2) Even if the above isn't possible I'd like to sign and get others to sign the petition, is that possible for us English bods? (I've no idea how much money it would take for me to send the petition to America, though I'm sure I could do it.

3)
quote:
Steven Jay
Blum, the quintessential English male voice actor, does the voice of Roger Smith
--- WOOT! GO BRITS! BWHAHAHAHA! um... *cough* :*

4) I also must send my thanks to Piano Black, after listening to the MP3: NameofGodVocals, I remembered how much I love that music.

5) OMG! That image of Roger is awesome! Who did it? (I wish to screen shoot it and upload it to deviantart.com however I want to put who did it to, so people know it wasn't me.)
David Ryder 12-06-2005 10:03 PM
Rockin. This should get some eyebrows raised. also Steven Blum isn't british, he was born in cali or he does an amazing job at surpressing his accent. @_@
Steel 12-07-2005 07:51 PM
Sweet! I'm with you every step of the way. Just ask if you need anything and I'll help. 'specily with the signing part. Wink (*Signs name in 5 name slots* hehe)
ZeaLitY 12-08-2005 10:27 PM
That ASCII art was uh...I think I took a screenshot from this site and simply ran it through an ASCII art generator. I can't quite recall which episode it was from.

Sorry for the delays; it's finals week, so I've been pretty occupied. Nonetheless, we're doing great so far.

Oh, and strangely...I live on a residential street that, of course, empties out to a medium artery avenue. Well, on the far side of it as you turn out from my street, there are power lines. A few days ago, as I pulled out, I noticed that several red balloons had floated up and become caught in those lines.

Talk about creepy...the Union is here!
ZeaLitY 12-12-2005 10:23 PM
I'm going to send in the mail in the next couple of days. Targets are as follows. At this point,

Let me know if I'm missing any organization

We'll contact Konaka once we actually have the estimate of signatures in our hands and are totally ready to roll. We'll probably also contact voice actors at this point for their blessings.

~

One CNN Center
Atlanta, Georgia 30303

~

CARTOON NETWORK (E-Mail)

Turner Broadcasting System Inc.
Cartoon Network
1050 Techwood Drive NW
Atlanta, GA 30318

~

ADULT SWIM (E-Mail)

Adult Swim
1065 Williams St. NW
Atlanta, GA 30309

~

KIM MANNING

Kim Manning
Programming Director, Adult Swim
Cartoon Network
1050 Techwood Dr NW
Atlanta GA 30318

~

Time Warner Inc.
One Time Warner Center
New York, NY10019-8016

~

Bandai Entertainment
P.O. Box 6054
Cypress, CA 90630

~

Phone Numbers (we might try this avenue in addition to everything)

CN

404-885-2263
404-827-1700

BANDAI
Monday - Friday
8:30AM - 4:30PM Pacific Standard Time
Tel: 1.877.77ANIME (1.877.772.6463)

~

And the letter is this:

quote:
This letter is on behalf of fans of the television show "Big O" that aired on Cartoon Network beginning in 1999. We are currently organizing a petition asking to have a third season created, as the second season garnered high ratings and the series creator has stated that much more story is yet to be told in the world of the show.

We would like to find out the minimum number of signatures that would be needed for such a petition in order to be influential and taken seriously by corporate and company decision makers.

We appreciate your time and consideration.

-Name

Though you still can make suggestions for the letter. At the moment, hard statistics could do us good, but I don't believe anyone is in possession of any. The ratings bumps used by Adult Swim would help here; I may send them an adjunct asking for records of viewership. The info was already public, so there won't be a legal problem or something.

Edit: Forgot to note that I will be mailing ADV films and The Anime Network as well for the same objective -- an estimate of how many signatures they would need to seriously consider handling a Big O Season 3 themselves.
Krang 12-12-2005 10:45 PM
The list of companies looks good to me, especially with the addition you mentioned at the end. I just have a couple of suggestions about the letter itself. First, just a minor correction: although Big O aired in Japan in 1999, it didn't air in the US until 2001. Also, in the second paragraph, the first part ("We would like to find out the minimum number of signatures that would be needed for such a petition in order to be influential") sounds good, but after that ("and taken seriously by corporate and company decision makers"), it sounds a little too informal. Other than that, great job, and good luck.
psychoticbastard 12-13-2005 09:58 PM
YEAH GO BIG O!!!!!! I DONT CARE IF THEY WATER YOU DOWN!!!!!!!!!!! I WANT TO SEE MORE DOROTHY!!!!!!!
Spooky 12-16-2005 03:24 PM
Very nice letter. I hope you're able to get some sort of response from them, other than a brush off as many of us have received when writing in (at least to CN/AS).

I wanted to point out, though, that I'm not sure how much good it will do writing to AnimeNetwork. I was under the impression that CN has exclusive rights to Big O (well, at least the second season), and is the company with the rights to do another season (as I know it was a provision in their contract with Sunrise). However, it doesn't hurt - if they show an interest, perhaps they can get CN to release their hold over Big O.

PM me if you would like any help! Since this semester has finally ended, I have more free time Smile

BTW, what about contacting Sunrise? I'm pretty sure they've already expressed interest in continuing the series, but perhaps another letter will encourage them to actively seek a financial backer other than AS?
Lost_Cyborg 12-22-2005 05:29 AM
quote:
Rockin. This should get some eyebrows raised. also Steven Blum isn't british, he was born in cali or he does an amazing job at surpressing his accent. @_@

I've seen him in alot of other things, so his accent has nothing to do with it; it changes from Roger Smith (Big O) to Jamie (Megas XLR) and Blunk (W.I.T.C.H). In fact he does lotsa stuff.
Plus I've heard so many different accsents in Britan I'm not sure if we even have one; these accsents include Cockny, Teen, Cornish, London, Irish, Welsh, Scotish and hundreds more.

And what about the woman actor who plays Scully in The X Files? My dad and I used to watch the X Files where she had a 'American' accent, but resently we saw a film preview where it took us a while to realise it was the same actress as she was speaking a type of British accent. Now we don't know if she's british or American, and I've not been bothered to cheak yet.

Face it, Steven J Blum can change his accent.
-------------------
quote:
Oh, and strangely...I live on a residential street that, of course, empties out to a medium artery avenue. Well, on the far side of it as you turn out from my street, there are power lines. A few days ago, as I pulled out, I noticed that several red balloons had floated up and become caught in those lines.

Wooo... Strange, but that HAS given me an X-Mas idea *looks for red ballons*.
------------------
Short Randomeh Story About Dorothys:
I was watching Twister last night and my dad noticed the machine was called Dorothy, I then asked him what he thought I'd been talking about for the last 10 mins...

Okay, no one wanted to know that but bo-ya! I posted it anyway.