Big O Season 3 Petition

ZeaLitY 12-22-2005 09:07 PM
Okay, I'll add Sunrise to the list. I've been procrastinating due to Holiday Shopping, but this time has reminded me of one more thing to add to the letter. A nice reminder that Cartoon Network's contract to produce season two includes the option for two more seasons would surely help. Perhaps the option existing on the original contract would clear a lot of headaches out for executives that would exist if the show were being revived from complete contract fulfillment. The statement would read,

Additionally, it has been stated that Cartoon Network’s contract to produce season two included an option for two more seasons.

However, I need one piece of information -- where was it stated that CN could option two more seasons in the contract? The above sentence gets the job done, but we need credibility. Can anyone remember where it was explicitly stated that a clause for seasons 3 & 4 exist?
Krang 12-22-2005 09:22 PM
quote:
Originally posted by ZeaLitY
However, I need one piece of information -- where was it stated that CN could option two more seasons in the contract? The above sentence gets the job done, but we need credibility. Can anyone remember where it was explicitly stated that a clause for seasons 3 & 4 exist?

The original source for that was taken down, but here is an archived copy. The news was also reported on ANN on June 9, 2003.
David Ryder 12-22-2005 09:30 PM
quote:
Face it, Steven J Blum can change his accent.

Ummm ok.I was just saying he's not british. >_<
ZeaLitY 12-22-2005 10:50 PM
Thank you. Okay, the letters should be sent out tomorrow. It's been a long time coming.
Shredder 12-23-2005 01:28 AM
quote:
Originally posted by ZeaLitY
Thank you. Okay, the letters should be sent out tomorrow. It's been a long time coming.

Sounds good! By the way, what did you decide about the wording on that part of the letter you were working on?
Lost_Cyborg 12-23-2005 05:43 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Gaddes
quote:

Sorry , I can be rarther argumentative some times.
David Ryder 12-23-2005 02:17 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Lost_Cyborg
quote:
Originally posted by Gaddes
quote:

Sorry , I can be rarther argumentative some times.

no prob. well back to the petition, I really feel this might be the only way get season 3, so if this doesn't work, looks like Big O season 3 if just going to be a no go.
Document Oosha 12-31-2005 09:26 PM
My first concern is: is it really necessary to refer to a third "season"? The original 26-episode option seems pretty much impossible at this stage - nobody's going to think it sounds good to spend that much on a franchise that was closed two years ago because it failed to catch on with "the anime crowd"*.

I'd think that if we get any more Big O animated, it'll be about the scale of a 4-episode OVA. That's all Farscape ever got, and they had a much bigger fanbase. Plus, they had a singular event of cancellation to rally around, while I for one just sort of gradually realized that Adult Swim had no intention of finishing what they started.

Comedy is what's bringing in the profits, and their anime viewers aren't complaining, because it's never even occurred to them that [AS] could be producing original shows instead of licensing old ones.

Only hardcore anime-news watchers would know that Big O II represented something unique in anime history, and too many of that demographic are also racists who would automatically reject it for being "dumbed down for American audiences". There's probably a sizable Konaka fanbase out there, but most of those people assume Big O is just more of his hack work, on the level of Digimon.

I'm assuming that producing shows costs many times more than licensing them, with similar returns; and that a longer series will cost more and be more risky. Those are probably the assumptions that the executives aren't questioning, anyway.

The point is, I can't see how Adult Swim could ever think that making more Big O would be a good business decision, even if we all promised to have sex with them on demand and buy four copies of each Big O III DVD. The only reason I can imagine them doing it is out of a sense of honor or pride; of finishing the project they started and cleaning up the mess they made of the plot.

Also: Did anyone cross-post this to other Big O related forums, such as Anime Jump and Adult Swim?

Mostly unrelated: What happened to that story about Time Warner producing 3 new anime series? What were they? Was it an isolated event, or are they still trying to become a major anime producer?

* I don't know who I'm quoting, but I'm sure someone somewhere has used this term.
David Ryder 01-01-2006 05:28 AM
quote:
Mostly unrelated: What happened to that story about Time Warner producing 3 new anime series? What were they? Was it an isolated event, or are they still trying to become a major anime producer?

Their still working of 2 of the 3. IGPX is already out, the power puff girls one is still in production as far as I can tell and the 3rd is a Gamera anime for an american audience. Hurray an anime about a giant flying turtle...at this point Big O season III seems like a pipe dream, but there is plenty of stuff better they could make than something about a giant turtle.
Randolph 01-01-2006 05:37 AM
Not at all giant turtles are boring... *cough*TMNT*cough*

True enough, there are shows that could be more interesting and profitable
to develop besides those.

Personally, the reason that they are holding out on a new season of Big O,
in my opinion, is its limited appeal. Frankly, there are a lot of people
who find Big O downright boring. It's dark, gloomy, occasionally fairly creepy,
it has giant robots, which against all odds shriek "CLICHE", and, above all,
the name lacks pizazz.

Think about it. "Big O". No, it's not THAT Big O, nor the other one.

To newcomers, there are a lot of turnoffs. To us who have seen it, we know
it has strong merits. But to newbies, it's just weird.

But that's my two cents. And I've drunk too much Coke, so my
judgement may be slightly impaired.
snakemarcato13 01-25-2006 06:42 PM
I wanna make sure that I'm getting this right. In order to be one of many who wants to sign for a third season, I have to mail people myself? I might be missing something, and I want a jist of the details on where I can sign.
Krang 01-25-2006 11:28 PM
quote:
Originally posted by snakemarcato13
I wanna make sure that I'm getting this right. In order to be one of many who wants to sign for a third season, I have to mail people myself? I might be missing something, and I want a jist of the details on where I can sign.

I'm pretty sure that each person who wants to participate would collect signatures locally (you can, of course, sign it yourself as well), and once we reach the deadline, all participants would mail their collected signatures to one of the collectors. The collectors would then make copies of the petitions and mail a copy of each petition to each of the companies involved. So, unless you volunteer to be a collector, you would only need to mail one copy.
Roger_Smith 01-30-2006 12:31 PM
Well I think a third season will be a very good idea: "Because the show is not over" there are many questions without response !
Evangelist 02-05-2006 02:45 AM
I totally want a third season, but I think we fans should take small steps. Now that reruns are on adult swim so early in the morning we should try to introduce people to the show and try to get it to be shown at an earlier time.
RedDestiny2 02-05-2006 01:32 PM
That idea is awesome. I've been watching Big O since Toonami, and i've really been wanting some new episodes.
Roger_Smith 02-13-2006 01:54 PM
Why my message have been erased ?
Krang 02-13-2006 10:05 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Roger_Smith
Why my message have been erased ?

It wasn't erased, it was just moved to the Season 3 Discussion thread since this thread is about the written petition only.
paul1290 03-01-2006 08:09 PM
Whatever happened to ZeaLity? Has anyone heard from him since then?
ZeaLitY 03-03-2006 09:06 PM
I've had my nose to the pavement for two months now, but after a Herculean effort, my site (Chrono Compendium) is done. Lord knows how much text I've typed in the last month, but the word count has to be in the hundreds of thousands. It's such a relief to have that done. Even though I've had the site since July 2003, I've never truly tried to finish the gargantuan encyclopedia and analysis sections until now.

I have not received a single word from Adult Swim, CN, Time Warner, or anyone, and I sent out letters to everyone on the list. Perhaps it's just a time lag, but it's been over two months now with no reply. This isn't much of a problem, since not having a "goal" just means we should collect to our maximum ability and may have to send it in a couple times if the first amount isn't enough.

I'll have to get back into things now that my site is finished. I have another decision coming up the 28th of this month, as I have to definitively decide my career track. But that's not going to pervasively disrupt my activities online or offline through discipline and hard work, though.
David Ryder 03-03-2006 11:49 PM
Wb zeal,I hope we can gain some ground, since this is a real hand written petion with a nice amount of affort behind it.