Rhythm-Based Video Games

Travis Bickle 11-12-2005 05:27 PM
Rhythm-based video games are games that take rhythm, skill, and timing in order to not suck at them. Games like Parappa the Rapper, Um Jammer Lammy and...Parappa the Rapper 2 are prime examples of this. San Andreas tried to emulate this, but failed.

Anyway, after a three year hiatus, I finally got copies of all three of the games mentioned above and totally hauled ass. If you're a musician, you'd probably want to play these, because of how the music is badass, and it actually teaches you how to nail down your timing in various time signatures, tempos and whatnot.

They're not really easy to find, but if you can, buy them. At all costs. Not just because I said so, but because they are fun and somewhat addicting. Parappa was like the Katamari for the PS1 generation.
Generalissimo D 11-12-2005 05:49 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Gonzo
Rhythm-based video games are games that take rhythm, skill, and timing in order to not suck at them. Games like Parappa the Rapper, Um Jammer Lammy and...Parappa the Rapper 2 are prime examples of this. San Andreas tried to emulate this, but failed.

Anyway, after a three year hiatus, I finally got copies of all three of the games mentioned above and totally hauled ass. If you're a musician, you'd probably want to play these, because of how the music is badass, and it actually teaches you how to nail down your timing in various time signatures, tempos and whatnot.

They're not really easy to find, but if you can, buy them. At all costs. Not just because I said so, but because they are fun and somewhat addicting. Parappa was like the Katamari for the PS1 generation.

To this day, I have that "Um Jammer Lammy! *dun dun DUN*" jingle stuck in my head from the commercials they ran from it.

I'm not sure if these count, but I'll post then anyway.
Gorrilaz Groove Session
http://www.flashplayer.com/games/weezerjamsession.html
Dingo 11-12-2005 06:11 PM
Frequency and Amplitude are two great rhythm based games to play. Not only do you get to play the songs you also get to remix them, which adds to alot of fun. I prefer Freq over Amp because of the better customization of your freq/avatar, and the remix system. That and I like the songs better.

These are two great games that you could probably get for $5 to $10. Amp is can also be played online which adds to the fun, but freq was better at this, sadly they shut down the freq servers.
Krang 11-13-2005 02:13 AM
I'm a big fan of rhythm-based games, especially the Bemani series from Konami (which includes games that I'm sure many of you have heard of such as DDR and Beatmania). My favorite Bemani games are the Pop'n Music series and the Guitar Freaks series (although I also enjoy DDR, and I'm sure I would like Drummania as well if I ever had a chance to play it in the arcade). Since Bemani arcade machines (besides DDR) are generally difficult to find outside of Japan and many of the console versions are not released in the US, the only other way to play them is to import the Japanese console versions, which is a little expensive but worth it.
Travis Bickle 11-13-2005 02:40 AM
Guitar Freaks is cool, but I recently played Guitar Hero, which is pretty much like Guitar Freaks. The music in Guitar Hero totally beats that of Guitar Freaks. I mean, I can play Cowboys From Hell on the guitar, but it's still fun to play it on the guitar controller. Red Octane actually produced a damn good game.

Also, IIDX is a personal favorite of a friend of mine, which I'm supposed to play sometime over the winter when my friend hauls his imported version down here.
The Baker St. Irregular 11-13-2005 06:46 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Gonzo
If you're a musician, you'd probably want to play these, because of how the music is badass, and it actually teaches you how to nail down your timing in various time signatures, tempos and whatnot.

I know that being a trumpet player helps when it comes to Stepmania. When you've spent seven years of your life with a continuously bad-ass percussion section playing all the time, you learn how to keep a beat. Pleased

Now... If only I were good at real DDR...
evanASF27 11-13-2005 06:49 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Mistress-Samwise
Now... If only I were good at real DDR...

I've got better rhythm than a good number of my school's drummers (which is sad)...(for them)...but I CAN'T DANCE FOR MY FREAKIN LIFE!!!!! >___<
Asirt 11-13-2005 06:53 PM
I've played Frequency a few times, but I play DDR the most. Recently, I've been playing Pump It Up (Exceed 2). It's pretty challenging, but fun at the same time. Though similar to DDR, the experience is very different. I did play a demo of Parappa the Rapper at one point, when I was few years younger.
AndroidZeroX 11-13-2005 09:23 PM
For anyone who cares....

The new DDR Ultramix 3 for Xbox is supposed to be awesome. I dont have my xbox anymore but if i did.....

Supposedly the song list is huge and some decent songs are on it now haha.