Zathura

Pygmalion 11-11-2005 08:52 PM
My younger son has been telling us of the upcoming release of Zathura for weeks, so nothing could keep us from seeing it on opening day.

I expected it to be special-effects eye candy, and it was, but it was also quite watchable. The kids' interactions were believable, and made for much of the tension in the story, which was considerably expanded from the book.

All in all, we enjoyed it and would recommend it to someone looking for an entertaining ninety minutes.

Pygmalion
Travis Bickle 11-11-2005 08:58 PM
Jon Favreau = TEH PWNAGE

I also met Chris Van Allsburg when I was like...2...and have The Polar Express autographed.
Zopwx2 11-12-2005 03:10 AM
Is it too much like Jumanji or does it keep it interesting?

Which doesn't really matter because I distincly remember Jumanji being my favorite movie in the history of film when I was 8.
Nine Kuze 11-12-2005 04:33 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Zopwx2
Is it too much like Jumanji or does it keep it interesting?

Which doesn't really matter because I distincly remember Jumanji being my favorite movie in the history of film when I was 8.

I hear that, same here. When I was around that age myself all I did was go to school, eat something, and watch Jumanji for the rest of the 24 hours I had left in the day.

But I thought that Zathura looked like a super CGI version of Jumanji but by just going on the previews, it looks kind of entertaining. But for those of have seen it like Pygmalion, how is it actually?
Peace.
BethMcBeth 11-13-2005 01:10 PM
I doubt I can bring myself to go watch Zathura in the threatures maybe when it comes on TV but if you asked me it really just looks like a Jumanji take off and well Jumanji was alright I am not going to go waste 7 bucks at the threature. Although on the preview the Special effects looks pretty decent.

-Beth
Pygmalion 11-17-2005 11:11 AM
I never saw the movie version of Jumanji, but I have read both books; yes, the plots are very similar. In fact, Zathura the book starts where Jumanji the book ends. Happily, that bit of cuteness was left out of the film.

Would I have liked this movie if I'd seen Jumanji? I don't know. There was a solidity to the special effects in Zathura that just about shut up my disbelief of the whole preposterous concept of a house floating in space. And I thought the character development was nicely done.

But I'm really looking forward to Harry Potter 4.

Pygmalion