Musicals, Baby!

Dork 11-06-2005 12:42 AM
Ever look at your playlist and say "God, I need more musicals." I'm at that point, but it got me thinking; What are your favorite musicals?

It's really late and I'm suppose to be getting ready for bed so I'll type my list tomorrow.

muchlove
-Dork
Pygmalion 11-06-2005 02:14 PM
Mine is The Music Man, for several reasons. One is that the songs are great, another is that the whole idea of a trickster character nicely dovetails with the musical theme. But the biggest reason it's our favorite is that ACT's family was thoroughly involved in a production (one was the lighting manager and a member of the school board, one was Professor Harold Hill, and mom played the piano) when the boys were in high school, lo these many years ago.

By happy chance, The Music Man was performed over at Newport through last weekend. ACT, his mom, and Big Pluto went to see it, and gave it six thumbs up.

Pygmalion
Travis Bickle 11-06-2005 02:31 PM
It would be cooler if the poll wasn't just a bunch of things Lil' Jon says.

However, I have to say that The Who's "Tommy" was the best thing I've ever seen on Broadway.
evanASF27 11-06-2005 02:32 PM
"Acting! Is the hardest profession in the world HARD WORK! The hardest profession in the world!" ~ Mr. Meyers (FAME)

"[...]You wake at 10, fold up the bed-- you don't want to leave your couch open all day ya know? It's depressin'..." ~ Joe Zutty (WORKING)

"ED SULLIVAN!!!" ~ Harry McAfee (Bye Bye Birdie)

Okay so we haven't done Bye Bye Birdie yet...but I want that part so badly Big Grin
Generalissimo D 11-06-2005 02:44 PM
quote:
Originally posted by P.D.Q. Beck
"ED SULLIVAN!!!" ~ Harry McAfee (Bye Bye Birdie)

Okay so we haven't done Bye Bye Birdie yet...but I want that part so badly Big Grin

My school did that last year. I didnt see it.

Musicals are without a doubt the hardest type of thing to do onstage.

x.x
The Baker St. Irregular 11-06-2005 10:07 PM
quote:
Originally posted by D-Boy

x.x

And are easily underrated, too.

I managed to only get into one of my school musicals. (I play the trumpet, so there's always going to be somebody better than me at it.) It was "Anything Goes", and it was difficult, indeed. The playing of the music and the having a million rehearsals is a given, but in our case, we had a little trouble trying to get high school kids to go and see a 60 year-old play. One that took place a long, long time ago and therefore contains many crypic references to the time period. O.O!!! La gasp!

The performing arts can be a little thankless if you think about it in terms of how many plebians go out of their piddly way to experience them. But unlike many other arts, it can also be the most enriching and satisfying. It takes real talent for a large amount of very cranky people to put together and pull off a Broadway-esque production. After it's all over, you feel you've acomplished something big. Pleased
evanASF27 11-06-2005 11:33 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Mistress-Samwise
quote:
Originally posted by D-Boy

x.x

And are easily underrated, too.

I managed to only get into one of my school musicals. (I play the trumpet, so there's always going to be somebody better than me at it.) It was "Anything Goes", and it was difficult, indeed. The playing of the music and the having a million rehearsals is a given, but in our case, we had a little trouble trying to get high school kids to go and see a 60 year-old play. One that took place a long, long time ago and therefore contains many crypic references to the time period. O.O!!! La gasp!

The performing arts can be a little thankless if you think about it in terms of how many plebians go out of their piddly way to experience them. But unlike many other arts, it can also be the most enriching and satisfying. It takes real talent for a large amount of very cranky people to put together and pull off a Broadway-esque production. After it's all over, you feel you've acomplished something big. Pleased

Hey! I also played trumpet when my school did "Anything Goes" two years ago. Big Grin I wasn't good enough back then for the first part so I played second, but it was still difficult x_x

And you are very right about how much unrecognized effort goes into the making of a theatrical performance.

*insert side rant*
At our school we have a "Senior Show" at the beginning of the year in which any Senior who wants to can be a part of a musical (seniors only cast-wise). You have no idea how many of the 130 people in this years show were suprised when they realized there WASN'T going to be a CD singing the songs for them. And many of them have yet to recognize that those who can sign and dance aren't trying to show off, they're trying to teach them the music and the choriography. >_<
*end side rant*
pen1300 11-14-2005 07:50 PM
My high school did Oklahoma my senior year and I was lucky enough to end up in the Pit Orchestra. That was the best time of my life and if I EVER get the chance to be a part of a musical (hopefully Pit) again, I would take it because, despite the rehearsals, despite the difficult music (which I didn't find too hard), I loved EVERY MINUTE of it.

So yeah, Oklahoma is a favorite, just because I was involved in it.

Then anything Sondheim is my favorite. My one friend introduced me to Into the Woods, Sunday in the Park with George, and Sweeny Todd (which was being produced by a local company this past October). I actually saw Passion not too long ago and I just loved it! I'm listening to the CD now. If I can play in the pit for Passion, or even just see it live, I'd be a very happy girl.

I love musicals period and I was actually thinking that same thing: I need more musicals on CD.

Though one of the worst I've seen is Celebration! Though, I was told that the performance must have been the first draft because a lot of stuff didn't make sense. Good music, just bad first Act.

Later,
Pen1300
The Fallen Phoenix 11-14-2005 08:33 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Dork
Ever look at your playlist and say "God, I need more musicals." I'm at that point, but it got me thinking; What are your favorite musicals?

It's really late and I'm suppose to be getting ready for bed so I'll type my list tomorrow.

muchlove
-Dork

Les Misérables, of course. Did you even have to ask?

After all, I own four different versions of its soundtrack (Complete Symphonic, 10th Anniversary, Original London, Original Broadway), have been promised a fifth by a friend (French Concept), and am actively hunting down a sixth (Original Vienna).

Obsession? No, I like to call it love.

Particularly with regards to my dear Éponine...
Mugiwara Luffy 11-14-2005 09:11 PM
Went to see our school's performance of Guys and Dolls last week. Pretty good show.

I'm not too fond of musicals because the songs get stuck in my head. And often times the actors aren't singing, but rather, are shouting the lyrics. Still, I appreciate the effort that goes into them (my sister was assistant stage manager) and I don't mind going out to support my friends. The live theater can be a nice break from the monotony of the movies too.
Travis Bickle 11-14-2005 09:12 PM
They also did Big! The musical at my college for the student play. Yes, Big, the Tom Hanks movie. Needless to say, it sucked.
Pygmalion 11-15-2005 08:34 AM
This one's unlikely to be performed live, but I've always had a soft spot for The Muppet Movie.

Pygmalion
Lady Tesser 11-15-2005 12:40 PM
Theatre is my life's blood - musicals are the opiates.

Besides, I've become the unofficial head costumer for my college's productions for as long as I can stand it. The drama program is still in it's infancy, but the head is talking about doing "Into the Woods" next year (we're doing a normal play called "The Solid Gold Cadillac" next semester).

Oh, yeah, my faves - "Sweeney Todd", "You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown", "The Mikado", and "The Man of La Mancha".

Auntie Pyg - "The Muppet Movie" as a musical would be truly inspired.
Neko 12-15-2005 12:48 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Tesser
"Sweeney Todd"

OH, when I visited New York in the fall that was right next door to my hotel. It looked really cool, and I wanted to find out more about it.

Sooo, what's it about? Tongue
corrupt 12-15-2005 11:41 AM
Like I said in the country music thread... musicals make me want to kill people. In particular the stupid girls who at school who smoke pot and say there "bi" (which is a complete lie) and try to force me to go to the F****NG ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW, if anyone from my school is on this forum know this, if you talk about musicals in front of me i will throw you out of a 2 story house...
Sharpshooter005 12-15-2005 12:17 PM
quote:
What are your favorite musicals?

Yes, they count...

edit: Now "Springtime for Hitler" is stuck in my head, partially due to a commercial and partially due to this thread.

quote:
Rent

It's very fitting someone mentions this after I bring up TA:WP....

"Lease! The musical!"

Everyone has AIDS! AIDS AIDS AIDS!!
Hobodoken 12-15-2005 12:29 PM
After joining the Theater program by being in the chorus/an extra for Les Mis (Yes, we actually did that, with a rotating stage that we built. It was hell compressed into three and a half months, and heaven compressed into a week), I've liked Les Mis. Fiddler was also fun, especially since I got to be Nachum, the lovable beggar. Now that's fun, running around, swiping candles, begging for bagles... *sigh*

Saw Rent last year, it was pretty good... Nightmare Before Christmas is nice... though I suppose you could make an attempt to clump most Disney movies as musicals...
Travis Bickle 12-15-2005 08:30 PM
Rent is probably the worst musical Broadway Show and movie I've seen. Ever. Seriously. Sucked HORRIBLY.

And the movie version of POTO can suck it as well.
Hobodoken 12-16-2005 02:26 PM
Hairspray was far worse than Rent.

I can't comprehend how anyone could argue with that statement.
Neko 12-16-2005 02:45 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Gonzo
And the movie version of POTO can suck it as well.

Once Butler opened his mouth I was like Crying .