Episode 34 Discussion: "Theory of Avarice"

Shredder 11-05-2005 10:21 PM
It's almost time for a new FMA ep. It's a good one, enjoy! Oh, and Greed's the man (but you knew that).
Sephiroth 11-05-2005 11:22 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Shredder
It's almost time for a new FMA ep. It's a good one, enjoy! Oh, and Greed's the man (but you knew that).

How long have I been saying that?

Anywho, after crying for about 15 minutes, I can finally post my thoughts on tonights episode. To summarize, it was awesome and terrible at the same time. It was awesome to see how devoted Greed's men were to him, and Law's fight with Armstrong was pretty darn cool. I was sad to see them give up their lives for Greed, but I'm glad they didn't out live him in a way.

It became pretty apparent that Dante was in some way connected with Lust and the others, and she has obviously lived for over 140 years, as she created Greed and he was locked up for that long. So, she is not the sweet old lady she appears to be. In fact, now she appears to be a quite dead lady.

Greed's fight with Ed was quite cool. For those who found it underwhelming, it should be noted that Greed had no Philosopher's stones (the things he coughed up) and was also in the presence of his bones and as such was weakened.

On to the sad, I think we can all agree that Greed's death was pretty touching. The way that he asked Ed to carry on where he left off, and cut the strings the Homunculi and their Leader had over the world like he had been trying to was pretty touching. Plus, he gave Ed the secret of how the Homunculi can be killed. Ed's reaction was sad too, his whole "This is just a joke right?" thing was pretty depressing. Especially since he just broke down and cried in the end.

I feel pretty bad for Martel too, she's all alone now, and knowing what happens next, it only goes downhill from here.

P.S.
Im going to cry myself to sleep tonight.
R.Smith 11-06-2005 01:58 AM
I caught the first showing half-way through, and wasn't too sure what was going on. After watching the second showing I'm still a tiny bit confused.

Interesting to see that Greed wasn't all that bad. Shame he wasn't around longer (episode-wise).

Next saturday is too far away. Frown
newnightcreature0 11-06-2005 12:20 PM
great episode. your right about greed being the man. it was cool how after he stopped being greedy and realized he was dieing how he told ed to finish the rest of em off.
evanASF27 11-06-2005 12:45 PM
quote:
Originally posted by newnightcreature0
great episode. your right about greed being the man. it was cool how after he stopped being greedy and realized he was dieing how he told ed to finish the rest of em off.

indeed. That was a serious change for Greed. o_o I was really suprised when he gave such vital information to Ed.

Shredder was right, this episode SERIOUSLY made up for the let down of the last one. (well, I thought the last one was a let down) The fight scene was awesome, and the way Ed figured out how to defeat Greed was amazingly clever. (w00t Ed!! Big Grin *waves little flag*) THe episode was intense and has reaffirmed several reasons why I love this series Big Grin
Instro 11-06-2005 06:54 PM
Arrgh! I knew I missed a good episode! Please don't spoil too much more for me until I see it. Last night, I threw a party for my mother's 70th birthday at my place and invited about a dozen of her closest friends.

The party was a smashing success and everyone had a good time, but by late evening, I had a living room full of loud, inebriated senior citizens who wouldn't shut up and wouldn't leave. The last one finally left at 1 in the morning!

Sigh...the things we do for our parents....
Raven 11-06-2005 08:47 PM
Greed was full of it the entire time. Though he probably wouldn't admit it, you could tell that he cared greatly about the chimera's that followed him. That alone shows how un-greedy he is. If he didn't, he would not have told Martel to stay inside the armor so she wouldn't get hurt.

But anyway, I was a bit upset to see them kill off so many characters in only one episode. Greed's who arc seemed rushed to me. They should have taken a bit more time and allowed them to achieve more than they actually did. Oh and having Gluttony eat everything and everyone is getting a bit old.
Nine Kuze 11-07-2005 09:18 AM
WHAT. AN. EPISODE.

First of all, can we have a moment of peace for our man Greed? What a solider.

Anyway, like Greed, I almost practically cried because Greed was... plain and simple the man. What I liked the most was during the entire fight, I felt this presence that Greed wanted Edward to defeat him, to see for himself if he can defeat the other Homunculi. Also, the scene where Greed and Edward are talking before Greed's death was amazing, capped off with Greed and Edward really have some sort of respect for each other and Edward greiving at the end for what he did. Can anyone explain why Greed shriveled up like that? That was just weird?

The fight was amazing but I wish it could have gone on a little longer. And Edward is such a scientist. It was confusing at first when he gave his explaination about how he can counter Greed's shield but I figured it out after a couple of minutes. All dude had to say was that he used alchemy to change the hardness of his carbon shielding, from diamond rough to pencil lead soft.

Also, about Dante...
spoiler (highlight to read):
Yeah, Dante is NOT at all what she seems. Before Greed came to the house, apparently Dante transferred her soul into Lyra's body and sent Lyra's soul into Dante's old body... and killed... in a pretty gruesome way I might add. Also, Dante is way older than 140 years. She's around 400 years if you want to get technical, it's just that Greed (and maybe Pride) is was born 140 (or 130?) years ago when Dante tried human transmutation.

... poor girl. She didn't deserve that at all.

Anyway, it was nice to see how much the chimera honored Greed and how they were going to give they're lives up for him. Also, did Alphonse forget he was kidnapped or something because he seemed real thoughtful towrads Greed, Martel, and the other chimeras.
Anyway that's all I got. Peace.
Sephiroth 11-07-2005 08:24 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Raven
Greed was full of it the entire time. Though he probably wouldn't admit it, you could tell that he cared greatly about the chimera's that followed him. That alone shows how un-greedy he is. If he didn't, he would not have told Martel to stay inside the armor so she wouldn't get hurt.

But anyway, I was a bit upset to see them kill off so many characters in only one episode. Greed's who arc seemed rushed to me. They should have taken a bit more time and allowed them to achieve more than they actually did. Oh and having Gluttony eat everything and everyone is getting a bit old.

Just because Greed cares about the Chimeras, does not mean he is not Greedy. He cares about them yes, but more than likely as a result of the fact that he is greedy for friends, or as he put it, "allies". He is very Greed, when he pointed out that he wanted whatever the world was selling, he was not kidding. He wanted Wrath, he wanted the chimeras when he found them in the prison, he wanted Kimblee, more importantly he wants freedom. He is not meant to be totally evil, but he is not good. He does evil things and would have continued to do more had he not been killed. He was just doing them for different reasons than the other Homunculi, and tends to be a lot nicer about things in general. He was not full of it, he was definately greedy.

Oh and I think I realized why he wanted to be bonded to a suit of armor:
spoiler (highlight to read):
Perhaps, since he was not working with the other Homunculi, he had no acess to the philosophers stones, like the ones Wrath ate. If those are what give Homunculi their power, which I believe Envy hinted at, then he would have no way to get a fresh supply of power. Therefore, he would have eventually grown weak and died. If he was bonded to a suit of armor, he would no longer have to worry about consuming the stones. Just a thought.
Volt 11-07-2005 09:09 PM
Awesome episode all around. I didn't see the last episode so some things were a little confusing (did Dante get killed in the last episode? Cuz when I saw her cut in half on the ground I was thinking "I would have liked to see that happen." XD Yeah. That's bad.), but the brutal action made up for it. The Greed vs. Ed scene? Definitely the best fight scene so far. Too bad Greed had to go so soon though. His Ultimate Shield form was just kickass.
Also, is it just me, or was it awesome when Ed did that kinda break dancing move to dodge Greed's punch and kick him in the face? Yeah. It was awesome.
newnightcreature0 11-11-2005 12:49 AM
"Anyway, it was nice to see how much the chimera honored Greed and how they were going to give they're lives up for him. Also, did Alphonse forget he was kidnapped or something because he seemed real thoughtful towrads Greed, Martel, and the other chimeras."

ya gotta remember what kind of a person al is. i mean if the person is messing around with his bro most likely he'll show some concern and respect towards them.