Lois McMaster Bujold

Pygmalion 11-04-2005 11:34 PM
Way back in 1986, I picked up The Warrior's Apprentice at my favorite bookstore. The cover wasn't much to look at: scantily-clad young woman draped across a scowling, bare-chested hero -- but who was the runt in a military uniform smirking into the camera?

I gave it my usual try-out, reading a few paragraphs in the middle ... and I was hooked. Bought the book, devoured it, and was back in a day to get anything this Bujold had written. Hooray, two more books just published! I read them just as fast, and then found out that no, she's not an incredible writing machine, she's just had her backlog published. And the next book wouldn't be out for months. AAARGH!

If you're new to the Vorkosigan universe, you're lucky -- you have available almost twenty years of great stories, from Shards of Honor to Diplomatic Immunity. (If you want to see the books in internal chronological order, this list will do.)

Bujold has written some fantasy books, too; I enjoyed The Spirit Ring, which has the sort of techy magic that L. Sprague De Camp and Fletcher Pratt did so nicely. Her newest series starts with The Curse of Chalion, an interesting spin on fantasy quest stories.

Pygmalion