[Comment] Forums dead?

088nd 10-23-2005 01:36 PM
Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed a significant decline in the activity of this forum? It seems to me that new topics get started once in a blue moon, and even though there seem to be people on, nothing is really getting posted.
Generalissimo D 10-23-2005 02:00 PM
It's just been a slow month. Wait for December to hit, then it'll really rev up.

And haven't we discussed pretty much everything so far?
evanASF27 10-23-2005 02:32 PM
quote:
Originally posted by D-Boy
It's just been a slow month. Wait for December to hit, then it'll really rev up.

Everything, even the MFL, is slowing down a bit. Ignoring the fact that Big Discussion as a whole has been declining, many members have also returned back to school/college and I suspect that the heavy work load is starting to take its toll (meaning less forumwide activity).

Though I don't think complaining about it will do anything. Oh Well So we must wait it out.
088nd 10-23-2005 04:07 PM
I wasn't really complaining. I was just asking whether or not anyone else had noticed this, besides me.
Krang 10-24-2005 02:22 AM
I have also noticed, although it is understandable since it is around midterm time for college students (who make up a good percentage of our visitors, I assume). Still, it wouldn't be a bad idea to get some activity going anyway so that more people can participate when they are less busy. The first and most important way for everyone to help out with this is to start some new threads. It only takes about 5 minutes at most to come up with a good idea and post about it. Does something interest you that isn't being discussed here? Is something being discussed at another message board that isn't being discussed here? Post a new thread about it! And if you can't think of anything, why not do a search through previous threads and bump up some of the more interesting ones with a relevant comment? As long as the comment contributes to the thread in some way and helps spark some discussion, it is perfectly fine to bump a previous thread, no matter how old it is.

The second way that everyone can help out is by inviting other anime fans to the forums. Since it has been quite a while since Big O has been on TV (and nearly two years since the last episode aired), it's not very realistic to expect too many new Big O fans to show up by themselves, so the best way around this is to find existing anime fans and invite them here to discuss anime in general. Once they see how prominent Big O is around here, maybe they'll even check it out on DVD and become a fan of it as well. Similarly, you can also help out by inviting previously active members to stop by. Some members may have pursued other interests and forgotten about Big O and these forums, so a simple reminder may bring them back and help increase the activity around here.

quote:

We may have gotten close as far as Big O goes, but as long as we have a forum for general discussion, that's not possible. Smile

Anyway, no matter how dead this place gets, we will still be here to continue providing everyone with a place to discuss Big O, anime in general, and anything else. Even if it ends up with just Shredder and I posting back and forth, we're not going anywhere. We were there before season two even aired in Japan, we were there while each new episode aired on Adult Swim, and we will be there long after Big O is taken off the air. I hope these suggestions will help bring some activity back to these forums and make them more enjoyable overall for everyone.
Wingnut 10-24-2005 08:49 AM
Plus there are Big O fans out there that simply don't know about this place. I know a serious Roger/Dorothy fanfic writer whom I simply need to get in contact with and inform about the existance of this place.
Nine Kuze 10-24-2005 09:26 AM
I have done this!
Sorry about thatBig Grin . I yeah, I have noticed this as well and I hope that we can shake things up around here.

EDIT: Just ignore this. During my n00b days. Tongue
Peace.
Mugiwara Luffy 11-21-2005 08:33 PM
Well I agree its not a good idea to make a thread specifically so people can hurl insults at each other, but I think a heated debate is fascinating to read and it rarely dies down. We all complain about the forums being dead and the problem is not many people talk to each other. Everyone posts what they have to say, but all discussion has boiled to news, silly questions, or threads that have already existed.

We should be able to discuss topics freely, as long as the discussion remains civil. If a member begins to behave barbarically, then instead of closing a thread, that member should be WARNED.
Travis Bickle 11-21-2005 08:46 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Lt. Sanji
We should be able to discuss topics freely, as long as the discussion remains civil. If a member begins to behave barbarically, then instead of closing a thread, that member should be WARNED.

And who is in the position to define whether or not one is acting "barbaric"? The mods? The admins? The users? If you toss warnings out left and right, you'll drive peple away.
Generalissimo D 11-21-2005 09:26 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Gonzo
quote:

And who is in the position to define whether or not one is acting "barbaric"? The mods? The admins? The users? If you toss warnings out left and right, you'll drive peple away.

But would that be such a bad thing? Sure, we'd probably have to get some security people to make sure no one hacks us out of anger, but keeping it anti-troll/spammer would do wonders for the board. No one really acts barbaric, save for a few people.

But everyone has their moments, isn't that right Doc?
Mugiwara Luffy 11-21-2005 09:28 PM
As soon as discussion turns from the topic to personal attacks, a mod or admin should step in. Who cares if people are turned away? Not that many new people are joining. I think better enforcement of the rules would better the forum anyway.
Travis Bickle 11-21-2005 09:30 PM
quote:
quote:
quote:

But would that be such a bad thing? Sure, we'd probably have to get some security people to make sure no one hacks us out of anger, but keeping it anti-troll/spammer would do wonders for the board. No one really acts barbaric, save for a few people.

But everyone has their moments, isn't that right Doc?

WILL YOU PLEASE STOP STALKING/COPYING ME. FOR THE LOVE OF FORD!

If you warn people constantly, even less people will visit the forums.

I take everything I say back. This is the worst idea I've ever had since I accidentally woke up in Tommy Lee Jones' pool.
Krang 11-21-2005 09:34 PM
quote:
We should be able to discuss topics freely, as long as the discussion remains civil.

But... that's exactly how it is now. What is preventing people from discussing topics freely?

quote:

Yeah, I personally don't see a problem with the way the rules are enforced now. There has to be a balance between being too strict and too lenient.

quote:
As soon as discussion turns from the topic to personal attacks, a mod or admin should step in. Who cares if people are turned away? Not that many new people are joining. I think better enforcement of the rules would better the forum anyway.

Easier said than done. Being overly strict just makes things harder on the mods and I, as does being overly lenient. That's one of the reasons why I said that we need a balance: it makes the forums more enjoyable for everyone.
Travis Bickle 11-21-2005 09:38 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Krang
quote:

Yeah, I personally don't see a problem with the way the rules are enforced now. There has to be a balance between being too strict and too lenient.

The only problem right now is that half of the mods don't even visit the forums anymore.
Krang 11-21-2005 09:40 PM
quote:
The only problem right now is that half of the mods don't even visit the forums anymore.

Well, that's true, but with the current level of activity, I think the remaining mods and I can handle it for now.

Now I'm thinking of splitting this new topic of discussion off and merging it back into the original thread. Laughing
Travis Bickle 11-21-2005 09:51 PM
To put all of this aside, I can just say that there is only one thing we need on these forums:

MORE COWBELL

The Fallen Phoenix 11-21-2005 09:53 PM
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Krang
quote:

College applications, among other things, does that to a person...time is a commodity I am afraid I do not possess in excess.

But just because you don't see us, doesn't mean we aren't there. Granted, that doesn't really apply in my case since, admittedly, I myself have not had the time to visit the forums as much as I probably should recently, but there are some circumstances beyond my control.

In any case...I don't really see any problem in terms of rule enforcement, though. Things seem, at least from my perspective, to be reasonably temperate...it helps that there has not been serious trouble recently, too. So, yeah, I do not really see a need to make any drastic--or even minor--changes at this particular time.

And, for the record, more cowbell is always good, regardless of the situation.
StevieV019 11-23-2005 12:29 PM
quote:
To put all of this aside, I can just say that there is only one thing we need on these forums:

MORE COWBELL

Yes...and that is why Scott doesnt fear the reaper!!!
paul1290 02-06-2006 09:12 PM
I apologize if I'm bringing back a thread that's to old.

I think it'll be a very long time before these forums die out. Every time I log on there are usually at least more than 10 people here (Except during obviously inconvenient times like 6 in the morning or during the school/work day).

Also, I've seen some forums stay very lively under much worse conditions. I know of this other forum that still manages to have new threads quite often even though the topic being discussed on it is very narrow and there are only around 8 or so people who regularly go there.
(However, it might be because the people who regularly go there tend to be very obsessed with that topic.)