Episode 31 Discussion: "Sin"

Volt 10-15-2005 11:00 PM
A pretty cool episode, in my opinion. We got some nice fight scenes, and now know the full story on that Wrath kid. Speaking of which, I hope he dies. Real bad.
Also, was it just me or was the human transmutation scene freaky? That baby thing... I woulda thrown it in the Gate.
Sephiroth 10-15-2005 11:04 PM
Wow, Just wow. I am taken aback by the sheer level of awesomeness exhibited by this episode. Kimblee and the lizard dude were pretty cool early on, especially when Kimblee tried to use his partner as a bomb. Envy giving Wrath the philosopher's stones was a rather disturbing scene. The way he was slowly corrupting the poor kid is rather sinister. This was followed of course by an awesome fight between Armstrong and Izumi, which was really intense. Archer's offer to let Kimblee back into the army was really sinister, as it will be pretty major in a few episodes. However, it really shows how ruthless Archer is. Then of course, the Lizard guy starts screaming for Greed, which is a wise idea. Wrath's change into his crazy form was rather disturbing. The scene with him strangling Izumi was creepy. However, it was cool to find out just a bit more on homunculus creation, and the birth of Wrath (his baby form was really odd). The Ultimate Shield's first real fight was pretty awesome as well. From it, we got to see that Greed is A) No Fool, B) just looking for a good time, and C) Not good at jokes. Also, we learned that Lust is not a very old homunculus, since Greed did not know about her. Anywho, long story short, I am really looking forward to the next episode, the preview made it sound like it was totally devoted to Greed.

P.S.
Envy, is the
spoiler (highlight to read):
Ultimate Mask
for those who do not read the manga (I don't know if the anime mentions it).

EDIT:
Ok, would a mod please merge the two threads, I just saw the one Volt Made
aeternus_flammus 10-16-2005 05:39 PM
I thought they said something about the Lust we know being the second one . . .
Madrona 10-16-2005 07:17 PM
quote:
Originally posted by aeternus_flammus
I thought they said something about the Lust we know being the second one . . .

I'd say she's actually about the same age as Sloth..there abouts.
Where Lust came from will be coming up in a few episodes. You'll find her to be not as single minded as say Envy.

who is a shining example of jerkiness
Nine Kuze 10-17-2005 01:17 PM
That was a pretty damn good episode. We found more about the homunculi as Greed is also known as the Ultimate Shield, Sloth (Julia Douglas) can 'swim' in water, and all the seven are together for the first time in a long time.

Is it just me or is anyone getting confused by Envy. I mean, I know he's a male but there are sometimes that I just wonder about his gender. I mean, the way he dresses doesn't really help and the sound of his voice. Also, does it appear to anyone else that Envy's hatred towards the Elric brothers is a little one-sided and doesn't make sense. We only see Envy show hatred towards Edward, not Alphonse, so I thought that was interesting.

Yeah, I'm getting more and more into Greed and I can't wait for him and Ed to go at it. But still my favorite homunculus is Pride. Also, the whole gate thing is weird and crazy, and Volt, I probably would have done the same thing and chucked that kid striaght into the gate.

In the next episode, Dante of the Deep Forest, it seems very interesting because Al was talking about how Greed is known as the Ultimate Shield and was wondering about his other secrets. But if you read my own thread about everything on the the FMA characters, then the next episode is where we should first meet Dante, the leader of the homunculi. Damn it, they don't show enough on the previews for the next episodes!

Also, what's up with Scar and the old man with the tattoos on his face. I have a pretty far-out there theory but...
the old man could be Hohenheim.
. It's pretty strange but that's how I feel and, damn it, I hope I'm right.
Peace.
Shredder 10-17-2005 11:38 PM
Sorry I missed starting the topic again, but it was a good one! A lot of info on the homunculi, too. It's interesting that, as someone mentioned, there may have been other homunculi in the past using the "sin" names. I always wondered, though, what happens if there were more than 7 results of human transmutations at one time? I assume they'd just wait in the gate until they got their turn, but I don't think they ever really say... Also, some good set up for some awesome episodes up ahead- I hope everyone stays tuned! Happy

One more thing- if you're seeing it for the first time, I really don't recommend reading spoilers. It's just a lot more fun to experience all the plot twists (and yes, there are a lot) for yourself as the show unfolds. Discussing and speculating are fun, but blatant spoiling just ruins it. If you have seen the series, thanks for using the spoiler boxes! Big Grin
Volt 10-18-2005 10:24 PM
One thing that's really confusing me is Sloth. Wild conjecture ahead, but in case it's right (which I have a feeling it is...), I boxed it.

I'm pretty much positive Sloth is the result of Ed and Al's transmutation, seeing as how she looks like a somewhat younger version of Trisha and due to that part in The Ishbal Massacre where Al says, "I think I just heard mom's voice" after Sloth/Douglas has spoken.
But, one thing is puzzling. At first she looked like a horribly deformed zombie-type majig when Ed first saw her, which is understandable given the scene in which Wrath is created, where at first he's that crazy alien Cabbage Patch Kid, and now he's a crazy anorexic Cabbage Patch Kid. However, in Teacher (I think? IDK... there are so many flashbacks to the human transmutation scene --- Edit: Actually, I think it was in Mother, if it matters.) when we see the full aftermath of the transmutation, after Al is bound to the suit of armor, Ed says, "It wasn't human," and we see an empty ribcage surrounded by ash. Wha? Did Sloth run away, forgetting her ribcage? What's the deal?

But yeah, overall cool yet fairly disturbing episode. Greed is rapidly becoming really awesome, and I can't wait to see his zombie-like form that's been shown in the commercials.
WRATHNEEDSTODIE
Xero-Hour 10-19-2005 02:46 AM
Now that the human transmutation=Homunculus connection has been made im wondering when Ed and Al will put 2&2 together and realize their is a homunculus out there that looks like "mom"