Copper Room Theory....

subarug 10-15-2005 01:30 AM
(Mods if this is a double post feel free to delete)

OK SO Here we go....

Copper Room.... Why?

I think I have a good answer....

In fireworks manufacturing plants every few feet or so you will find copper plates so that the workers can continuosly discharge themselves of static electricty.If you have ever seen footage of a Firework Factory fire you already know why this is important.

So lets take what we know about copper and static electricty and put a diff spin on.

All you computer techs out their im sure are familiar with static straps and such....

Lets say you were a scientist working on perhaps the most advanced artificial lifeform ever...you have your final core memory chip to put in place...and all of a sudden ZAP! awwwwwwwwwww

You just fried Dorothys mainboard!

If I was Wayneright and I was rich, Hell yeah Id coat my lab in copper! I would never have to worry about frying anything again nor would I have to wear those weaksuace wrist straps!
Lost_Cyborg 10-15-2005 05:45 AM
OMG! You've got it! My dad and I talked about the copper room and even he couldn't figue it out! *hugs* I'm so happy with this explination I doubt I'll worry about it again.

quote:
You just fried Dorothys mainboard!

Did you mean mother board?
Zopwx2 10-15-2005 07:07 AM
Awesome. And it actually makes sense within the context of the show too.
Wingnut 10-15-2005 08:47 AM
That does make sense. It would also work well for storeing sensitive components from electricial damage.
Xylem 10-15-2005 06:51 PM
I think the copper room is there to protect people from the electromagnetic pulse caused in the event. (fried everyones memories and caused a polar shift)

thats why arthur fitzgerald(sp?) and Dorthy haven't lost thier memories.
Mr. Peabody 10-15-2005 08:27 PM
Personally, I always thought the copper room was actually a panic room for Timothy Wayneright in case any of his androids turned on him.

When Roger notices the room is reinforced with thick copper plating, he asks Dorothy if she can explain why. Dorothy says that she doesn't know but Wayenright was certainly frightened of something, at which Roger casts a speculative glance at the android girl.
Lost_Cyborg 10-16-2005 06:57 AM
Mr.Peabody, I think you've got a really good thery (sp?) there, same to you Xylem, plus there is the (electro?) magnet in the room which picks up Dorothy, but not the other android, is it possible the room was to keep something in and to stop other things get into the things inside. *blush* I'm not sure what the Things would be.
Mattartist 10-16-2005 11:38 AM
Perhaps Jehova's witnesses...? Big Grin

BwAhahaha!

For the copper room theories, I'm pretty much enclined to the fearful Wainwright theory. Also note about the "wire" Roger tripped in the place. I THINK that "stripped" RD model was trying to PROTECT something there...

But thats just me..

Okay, I'm done ranting. Big Grin
Lost_Cyborg 10-16-2005 12:32 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Mattartist
Perhaps Jehova's witnesses...? Big Grin

BwAhahaha!

For the copper room theories, I'm pretty much enclined to the fearful Wainwright theory. Also note about the "wire" Roger tripped in the place. I THINK that "stripped" RD model was trying to PROTECT something there...

But thats just me..

Okay, I'm done ranting. Big Grin

You know it's been a few years since Jehova's Witnesses came to our door... I wonder why... *evil grin*
-----------------------------------
You might be right, I've allways wondered why that act was done in that style, it all ways gives me the feeling that the writers expected to go back to the old mansion but never did.
Paradigm Dog 10-23-2005 03:37 PM
Good theory, BUT, I've always believed what Xylem said. I think the Copper Room has a larger significance. It is a protection against the Event, to save some memories. I think Waynewright, like Gordon Rosewater, is trying to "change the game" so to speak. They might even be in cahoots. After all, without Dorothy, Roger would have never made it as far as he did during this series of events before the ACT 26 Reset. One thing's for sure, the Copper Room is an important element.
A Clockwork Tomato 10-23-2005 04:28 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Paradigm Dog
Good theory, BUT, I've always believed what Xylem said. I think the Copper Room has a larger significance. It is a protection against the Event, to save some memories. I think Waynewright, like Gordon Rosewater, is trying to "change the game" so to speak. They might even be in cahoots. After all, without Dorothy, Roger would have never made it as far as he did during this series of events before the ACT 26 Reset. One thing's for sure, the Copper Room is an important element.

I think the shielding is there to provide ongoing protection, not against some once-in-a-lifetime event. Maybe your memories come back faster if you're in a shielded environment.
subarug 10-23-2005 11:16 PM
All possibilities.... I thought for once, that since we try so hard to strech our thoughts to come up with theories, for a story element that occupied maybe 2 minutes of screentime, I would give the simplest most logical explanation... you need static protection for sensitive elctronic components.....Trying to let those minds of yours have alittle break here!
Zopwx2 10-24-2005 02:18 AM
quote:
Originally posted by subarug
All possibilities.... I thought for once, that since we try so hard to strech our thoughts to come up with theories, for a story element that occupied maybe 2 minutes of screentime, I would give the simplest most logical explanation... you need static protection for sensitive elctronic components.....Trying to let those minds of yours have alittle break here!

*High five*
Mattartist 10-24-2005 04:53 AM
Ah! Gasp! I think I found it out!

The reason Wainwright had a copper room must've been because of the event, because it must have some kind of power that allows all the people inside to remain unnaffected from the erasures of Big Venus!

Erm, I'm tired. But yeah, thats my OTHER theory....

Me sleepy sleepy sleepy..... Red Face ZZZZZZZZZZ
paul1290 10-24-2005 06:01 PM
Maybe the room was coated in copper so you could electrically charge the entire room. After all, Copper is the 2nd best metal for conducting electricity (the 1st being silver). However, why you would want to electrically charge an entire room for is anyone's guess.

It could also work the opposite way like subarug mentioned in order to discharge static electricity.
subarug 10-24-2005 06:46 PM
Like I said I got my theory straight from how firework factorys are setup with copper plates every so many feet.The workers must contantly touch the plates to make sure they are not carrying a charge.
A Clockwork Tomato 10-24-2005 07:22 PM
quote:
Originally posted by subarug

I think your theory might need a little work. It doesn't really account for:

1. Inch-thick copper (too thick to be explained by static control).

2. Copper plating on walls and ceilings, not just the floor.

3. Worktables that don't seem to be made of copper.

The tight-fitting doors might also be a clue.
Mattartist 10-25-2005 05:17 AM
Dudes, its more than PHYSICAL protection the doc was trying to obtain! He was trying to protect his MEMORIES! That room must've kept his memories safe from the event, but Dorothy must've died in the (cough) mad dash. So after the event, Wainwright emerged, along with his memories, to construct R. Dorothy and the two megadeuses Dorothy 1 and Glinda.

Thats all folks...

FOR NOW! (schwartzwald wuz here) Big Grin
BigPrime 10-30-2005 12:28 AM
People have noted that the room in Waynewright's mansion is essentially a giant Farraday cage since the episode aired, and doubtless that is true. That means the real question is "why build a giant Farraday cage?" I think all of the theories might just be true, in part. In other words, Waynewright likley had more than one reason for building that room the way he did. The immediate reason would likely have been electrical protection for his android research, but he likely had more esoteric reasons, such as Memories and their recovery and preservation in mind as well.
Lost_Cyborg 10-30-2005 07:07 AM
I don't think it could of been for phisical protection; copper is a rarther soft metal, and surely it would be more expencive to coat a whole room in inch thick copper than in stronger, cheeper iron or steel, if he was also worried aboul his electronics he could have had copper panels and table tops too.

Ps- A little note from my dad, Copper isn't magnetic, so along with that huge magnet in the room, which was possibly indespencible, then maybe he needed copper as the best non-magnetic matirial he could use at that time.