The X-Box 360

Gummibear 11-23-2005 08:28 AM
I think the XBOX 360 has great potential, however most of the release games have yet to tap into it and that is precisely the problem with the early release. I thought the graphics were great but overall not that great of a leap from the last Xbox, in fact I think the original Xbox only sold so well because it boasted Halo as a release title.

I don't think lack of great release titles will hinder the 360, because remember, when PS2 came out initially there were few really impressive titles, despite the excellent support for it. Most of the games we have recognized as staples of the PS2 came a few month's after it's release. XBOX 360 still stands a good chance when you think about it.

As for the PS3...it will most likely do better than XBOX 360 in the long run. PS3 is actually going to have time to organize themselves and put out along with decent release titles. Not to mention that they might actually make enough to fill demand.
Mike 11-23-2005 01:20 PM
I didn't say the graphics look the same, I said they don't look like enough of an improvement to warrant a whole new system. Plus, a lot of current Xbox games aren't compatible with the 360 yet so you still have to have both. And if the games aren't any fun to play, then it really doesn't matter how good the graphics are, does it?
Volt 11-23-2005 02:47 PM
I think everybody who says the graphics aren't that much better need to remember that these are just the first generation of titles, and they're hardly pushing the 360's potential. Look at the original Halo then look at Doom 3. Or, say Sonic Adventure 2 Battle and Resident Evil 4. The jump from the first generation to the later titles is massive, and even right now a few of the launch or near launch games are looking better than their PC counterparts running on high end computers (CoD2, Quake 4, Oblivion IMO).

quote:
And if the games aren't any fun to play, then it really doesn't matter how good the graphics are, does it?

Boring games always have been and always will be a problem on every system, so I don't think you can just single the 360 out like that. I went over to my friend's house to play PDZ and CoD2 yesterday and they were pretty damn fun, and those were just two of the launch titles. Condemned and Quake 4 are also looking pretty damn good (I played a bit of the PC version of Q4 and the 360 version is apparently going to be just about the same), and I don't mean that just in tersm of graphics. Like Gummibear said, even the PS2 had a rocky launch in terms of titles. The 360 has a few good games out already and with more on the horizon already like Gears of War, Oblivion, UT2007 (possibly) and the inevitable Halo 3, it doesn't seem to me like graphics or fun will be a problem. And yeah yeah, they're mainly FPSes and a few will be or are on PC, but for people without a massive PC gaming rig (even mine is starting to show wrinkles) who enjoy those kinds of title, the 360 seems to be the best choice to me.
But whatever. To quote Scott, that's just my opinion.
Volt 11-23-2005 03:58 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Gonzo
quote:
Originally posted by AndroidZeroX
Does anyone have an idea how long it will take for them to send out the second shipment cause i got pushed back to that unfortunatly. Ive researched and got a whole bunch of statements, all ranging from the end of Nov. to end of March. Anyone have anything they can tell me??

Middle of February

Roll Eyes

quote:
Originally said by GameSpot

In response to the retail drought of Xbox 360s across the country, Robbie Bach, president of Microsoft's Entertainment & Devices division told GameSpot, "We are well aware that many gamers are disappointed to have not gotten their Xbox 360 on day one. We are working around the clock to manufacture as many Xbox 360s as we can and are replenishing our retail channel week after week."

Peter Moore, Microsoft's corporate vice president of worldwide marketing and publishing, had similar words on the subject. "Our goal is to replenish inventory in the channel every week," he said earlier this week during an interview with GameSpot at the console's launch event, Zero Hour. "So lots of Xbox 360s are flowing in every single week. It's not like we're shipping and then going dry for two or three weeks."

Source: http://www.gamespot.com/6140371

'Tis all.
Travis Bickle 11-23-2005 04:03 PM
According to several stores/major retail chains down here, if you want to walk into a store and buy an XBOX 360, you have to wait until the middle of February. But whatever.

Microsoft is putting all the effort into Japan and not much into America, just so they actually don't fail again.
Mr. Fortnight 11-23-2005 08:25 PM
quote:
According to several stores/major retail chains down here, if you want to walk into a store and buy an XBOX 360, you have to wait until the middle of February. But whatever.

Microsoft is putting all the effort into Japan and not much into America, just so they actually don't fail again.

The Feburary thing seems to run contrary to the news from Gamespot (which is generally dead-on). You make it sound like Microsoft is ignoring the American market, it is not. It can't use the boxes it produces here for the Japanese market (for the reason why we can't play Japan imports without mods here, it's the hardware). What is more likely happening, is over the next month, boxes are being produced equally for the US, Japan, and Europe. With the priority being for the European and Japanese launches. Each using a different software/hardware setting.

I think the reason why Feburary is the "time frame" stores state, is one; to get customers off of their backs leading into the holiday season, and two; to try to get some product in, while everyone thinks the shortage will end in Feburary.

Feels like Cabbage Patch Kids all over again, but I know at least by the time I can get my hands on that sexy litle box, I can get it with DOA4. That, and Call of Duty 2.
Travis Bickle 11-23-2005 08:29 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Ensign Minneapolis
quote:

The Feburary thing seems to run contrary to the news from Gamespot (which is generally dead-on). You make it sound like Microsoft is ignoring the American market, it is not. It can't use the boxes it produces here for the Japanese market (for the reason why we can't play Japan imports without mods here, it's the hardware). What is more likely happening, is over the next month, boxes are being produced equally for the US, Japan, and Europe. With the priority being for the European and Japanese launches. Each using a different software/hardware setting.

I think the reason why Feburary is the "time frame" stores state, is one; to get customers off of their backs leading into the holiday season, and two; to try to get some product in, while everyone thinks the shortage will end in Feburary.

Gamespot's pretty slow these days with updating, so I don't use them as a credible source anymore. That, and the fact that there have been recent word that their reviews, news, and other things are highly influenced by bribes and such from game companies.

Now, it is well known that, with the original X BOX in Japa, Microsoft totally failed. Japan is pretty much "where it's at" in terms of broadening one's horizons in the gaming industry, so you have to please them in order to actually "be" in the game (no pun intended). Microsoft opened a giant ass lounge, and is marketing it more there then in America. Go figure.

And stores would not dare shoo customers away from this. Why? Because they make $300-400 for each 360 they sell. Nobody in their right mind would do such a thing.
Volt 11-23-2005 09:45 PM
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ensign Minneapolis
quote:

Gamespot's pretty slow these days with updating, so I don't use them as a credible source anymore. That, and the fact that there have been recent word that their reviews, news, and other things are highly influenced by bribes and such from game companies.

Now, it is well known that, with the original X BOX in Japa, Microsoft totally failed. Japan is pretty much "where it's at" in terms of broadening one's horizons in the gaming industry, so you have to please them in order to actually "be" in the game (no pun intended). Microsoft opened a giant ass lounge, and is marketing it more there then in America. Go figure.

And stores would not dare shoo customers away from this. Why? Because they make $300-400 for each 360 they sell. Nobody in their right mind would do such a thing.

I'd still much rather take the word of GameSpot (as well as that of the people at my local GameStop and EB) than yours, no offense intended. My take is that the people you talked to were just misinforemd or pulling estimates from their asses. Even with the fact that Microsoft is looking for a victory in Japan, they're not going to distribute such a huge amount to them that they'd neglect to send a decent amount to America until February. I'm 90% sure that the "shortage" was just a marketing strategy. There wasn't an actual shortage of units, Microsoft just wanted to get some free advertising by way of word of mouth. Maybe I'm wrong, but it makes sense to me.
Mr. Fortnight 11-23-2005 09:54 PM
I do have to doubt the marketing angle. It has way more potential to backfire and alienate the american market, with the PS3 looking to come out of the gate hard. Although it's under the radar marketing strategy has served to shoot it in it's own foot more than anything.

But back to the 360, as I said, a pre-planned shortage would not be a good thing by any means. More than anything else, they probably made enough to fill ALL pre-orders, and a little bit for the people who decided to buy at the store on release day. Most likely, there are trickles to major electronics, video games, and retail stores to get some people lucky this christmas.

Not that it really matters because eventually everyone who wants an XBox 360, will get one; but Microsoft is going to have to come up with a sound marketing strategy, so that the Sony and Nintendo fanboys can't poison the masses and pull disgruntled players to thier respective sides.

Console fanboys are like members of a cult. Always looking to convert more to their religon.

Thank God I'm more of a computer person. But I have to say, I got to see an XBox 360 in action, and it's a good, every-person's system. Great Graphics, accessible controller, asthetically pleasing, and potentially some jaw-dropping, mind blowing games.

I sincerely hope the 360 gets that Japanese market. Might mean more Japanese games here. Katamari on the 360 anyone? Almost seems... prophetic.
Generalissimo D 11-23-2005 11:06 PM
Eco-Political arguments aside, turns out there seem to be quite a bit of defects.

To quote an except from the forum link.

quote:
My story first - between my friends and I, we bought 6 machines at the Zero Hour event. Of the 6, my machine has a dead hard drive, another machine is working but is rather flaky (seen some strange behavior - the drive may also be scratching discs, as my friend's copy of Condemned is now unplayably scratched, but we don't know if the drive caused it - the machine has also had problems booting games and being turned off...), one seems to be good, and I haven't heard yet about the status of the other three.

lol.
Krang 11-23-2005 11:49 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Gaddes
and once again 360 is going to just be a ton of tired and worn out first person shooters, hurray.

That's what it looks like so far to me, also. The only game released for the XBox that interested me, other than games that were also released for other consoles, was Shenmue II, so I didn't bother buying an entire console for one game. It's still very early for the 360, but if they stick with the same types of games as last time rather than working on getting a better variety of games released, it doesn't look like I'll buy a 360 either since I don't care about the FPS genre.

quote:
Originally posted by Mike
And if the games aren't any fun to play, then it really doesn't matter how good the graphics are, does it?

Exactly, that pretty much sums up my opinion on why I was not interested in most games on the original XBox. There are definitely boring games on other consoles, but at least those other consoles also have many games that are fun.

quote:
Originally posted by Volt
I think everybody who says the graphics aren't that much better need to remember that these are just the first generation of titles, and they're hardly pushing the 360's potential. Look at the original Halo then look at Doom 3. Or, say Sonic Adventure 2 Battle and Resident Evil 4. The jump from the first generation to the later titles is massive, and even right now a few of the launch or near launch games are looking better than their PC counterparts running on high end computers (CoD2, Quake 4, Oblivion IMO).

Good point. However, the point is that the difference between the graphics of early 360 games and late games from the last generation is not nearly as noticeable as the difference between early games from the last generation and late games from the generation before that. Normally, this would not make any difference to me since I don't really care about graphics, but I find it a little ironic considering that graphics are the 360's main (only?) marketing focus.

quote:
I'm 90% sure that the "shortage" was just a marketing strategy. There wasn't an actual shortage of units, Microsoft just wanted to get some free advertising by way of word of mouth. Maybe I'm wrong, but it makes sense to me.

Long before the release, I heard several rumors that they would use a false shortage to try to build up interest, and it looks like they did exactly that. It seems a little too coincidental that a company like Microsoft would "accidentally" underestimate the demand...
AndroidZeroX 11-29-2005 09:34 PM
quote:
quote:
for one shipment!!!???? It cant take 3 months to make that few xbox 360's.

According the EBs, Gamestops, FYEs, Best Buys and Circuit Cities I went to....FEBRUARY. TOUGH LUCK!

Yeah... so Gonzo.... you were just a tad bit off on your knowledge, or apparent lack there of.....

http://www.usatoday.com/life/2005-11-28-...ond-round_x.htm
Travis Bickle 11-29-2005 09:44 PM
quote:
quote:
quote:
for one shipment!!!???? It cant take 3 months to make that few xbox 360's.

According the EBs, Gamestops, FYEs, Best Buys and Circuit Cities I went to....FEBRUARY. TOUGH LUCK!

Yeah... so Gonzo.... you were just a tad bit off on your knowledge, or apparent lack there of.....

http://www.usatoday.com/life/2005-11-28-...ond-round_x.htm

As we previously discussed, apparently things have changed with the shipping of 360s. You can call me ignorant all you want. A couple of weeks ago, it was pretty much a given that you wouldn't recieve a 360 until next year. Now, since Microsoft owned up to this "shortage", all is well now. However, I highly doubt that you'll be able to walk into a store and purchase one before the end of the year.
David Ryder 12-02-2005 04:20 PM
I've been hearing that 360's have gone from 300-400 to like 600-800 bucks. Anybody heard anything about this? or for the truely desparate, fork out 2k foro ne on ebay.
Volt 12-02-2005 04:37 PM
quote:
I've been hearing that 360's have gone from 300-400 to like 600-800 bucks. Anybody heard anything about this?

Only on eBay.
X Prime 12-02-2005 04:44 PM
quote:
quote:
I've been hearing that 360's have gone from 300-400 to like 600-800 bucks. Anybody heard anything about this?

Only on eBay.

One sold for, I sh** you not, over $1,400.
Mr. Fortnight 12-02-2005 04:48 PM
Saw one on E-Bay selling for roughly $15,000. Jeebus.
David Ryder 12-02-2005 05:25 PM
quote:
One sold for, I sh** you not, over $1,400.

wow, the things people do for what's new.

quote:
Saw one on E-Bay selling for roughly $15,000. Jeebus.

anyone who pays that much for any new video game system needs some help. Now I'm glad I'm not a rabid PC box....uhh I mean X-box fanboy.
Volt 12-02-2005 06:37 PM
Heh, most of the eBay auctions are ridiculous or just a joke. It seems like a lot of them are just empty 360 boxes that people are too moronic to read the description for. There was one actual system going for $250,000, with a free Mercedez-Bens thrown in, so I heard. XD
David Ryder 12-02-2005 06:43 PM
quote:
There was one actual system going for $250,000, with a free Mercedez-Bens thrown in, so I heard. XD

lol or perhaps it's just the car and no engine. X_X