Wierd gaming habits.

paul1290 09-20-2005 06:42 PM
This is where you can list some of your wierd video game habits.

Like this:

When I use the D-pad on the Gamecube controller to switch visors in Metroid Prime or to use spells on Eternal Darkness, I sometimes use my right thumb to use the D-pad even though it's on the left side of the controller. I pretty much let go of most of the right side of the controller to do this. It really doesn't make sense and I not quite sure why I do this.

I also sometimes, but not always, keep my thumb over the B button most of the time rather than the A button. I'm not sure why I do this because most people keep their thumb over the A button most of the time because you can reach the other buttons more easily. Keeping my thumb over the B button just seems more natural to me for some reason.
Wingnut 09-20-2005 07:42 PM
My fingers rest over the centermost button, usually the one with the raised bump on it, to allow easy access to all buttons. Always has been my use for it. In action games, my finger usually hovers over the fire button, or if I am really good, the jump button to doge the enemy attack and deliver a more effective counterattack instead of a hastey first strike.
The Baker St. Irregular 09-20-2005 07:47 PM
When I play fighting games like Soul Caliber or DOA, I usually switch my right hand so that it's under the middle of the controller. That way, I can use both my thumb and index finger on the buttons.

Whenever I or somebody else plays a creepy first-person shooter, all of the lights have to be off in the room. Pleased It's wicked awesome. I've nearly died when my brother and sister used to play Thief in the dark. Also, Resident Evil 4 is 70% more fun with the lights off.

When I play any kind of game and I start to get really mad, that's one of the only times I ever start swearing my head off. I almost never use swear words when I speak, so when I'm insanely cursing at that one helicopter I can't shoot down, my family members are genuinely scared for their lives. O__o
Wingnut 09-20-2005 07:51 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Mistress-Samwise
When I play any kind of game and I start to get really mad, that's one of the only times I ever start swearing my head off. I almost never use swear words when I speak, so when I'm insanely cursing at that one helicopter I can't shoot down, my family members are genuinely scared for their lives. O__o

A similar thing happens to me when an enemy, in particular a boss character, performs an uber-cheap and/or impossible move that winds up kicking my ass. Often the words "You cheating bastard!!!" can be heard among other similar phrases.
The Baker St. Irregular 09-20-2005 08:05 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Wingnut
quote:
Originally posted by Mistress-Samwise

A similar thing happens to me when an enemy, in particular a boss character, performs an uber-cheap and/or impossible move that winds up kicking my ass. Often the words "You cheating bastard!!!" can be heard among other similar phrases.

For me, it's more like, "Holy f@%^ing s$@*! How the f&@# am I supposed to f*&%ing beat this goddamn thing?!"

o.o

Even thinking about that makes me scared of myself.
Patsai 09-20-2005 09:33 PM
When I used to be a hardcore gamer, my gaming habit was usually always to sit as close to the TV as possible whenever you're forced to play in a high tense situation, and I often literally stare into the TV until I see the individual RGB lines.
Mugiwara Luffy 09-20-2005 09:51 PM
When I play Tetris, I don't blink. At all. For several hours.

When I play MarioKart, I curse like a madman if a CPU pulls out a cheap win in the end. That game can be incredibly frustrating.

In Super Smash Bros. I sometimes get into a mode where all I do is dodge. Back and forth, back and forth. It's especially bad if my opponent starts to do it too, and all we're doing is dodging. When we realise what we're doing, we laugh.

I used to be really afraid of Zelda boss battles, and still am a little to this day.
CablesInside 09-20-2005 11:41 PM
when i play old-school platformers with a run function, i keep my finger on the run button at ALL times
especially in the mario games
it was dizzying to watch
i have no idea how i do it without dying
but i hold down b, and use the middle of my thumb to jump
Dork 09-20-2005 11:52 PM
I have short powerful bursts of playing games. I won't touch my gameboy for weeks at a time but all of a sudden, for one reason or another I'll start playing it and I'll play it five to six hours a day. When I have these bouts I often need to recharge my Gameboy once every two days.

And nearly every night when I get into bed and turn the lights out I'll play my GB SP for 20 to 40 minutes. I've yet to get caught.

muchlove
-Dork
Volt 09-20-2005 11:57 PM
Sometimes I eat Cheetos while playing games and my fingers get stuck to the controller...
Also, whenever I'm playing onine or with my friends I have a tendency to add "McGee" to the end of everything, such as "Our team blowsMcGee."
088nd 09-20-2005 11:59 PM
When I play CS, I talk with the Bots. I also tend to pronounce things like OMG, ZAWMG, and LOL.

My fingers always go to wasd on the keyboard first, in any environment.
IanC 09-21-2005 06:26 AM
Moving the control like its a sterring wheel when playing racing games.

I used to do that often. I seem to have cut back on that now.
Mugiwara Luffy 09-21-2005 01:34 PM
quote:
Originally posted by The 10th Doctor
Moving the control like its a sterring wheel when playing racing games.

I used to do that often. I seem to have cut back on that now.

With the new Revolution controller, that movement might actually do something. My sister used to be the same way with racing games.
BethMcBeth 09-21-2005 01:58 PM
Whenever I play DDR I must have this one certain foot pad we have at my parents house its like this extra padded non slick one otherwise I end up slidding all over the room. Tongue

And whenever I play any of the Finial Fansty Games I must have large amounts of Ginger Ale along with Nachos or some other crackers otherwise its like I can't focus or play the game LOL.

As for holding the control I'll switch hands in the middle of the game even if the buttons are closer to one hand over the other no idea why I just do.

-Beth
Lupin IV 09-21-2005 02:34 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Lt. Sanji
When I play MarioKart, I curse like a madman if a CPU pulls out a cheap win in the end. That game can be incredibly frustrating.

Do you mean Mario Kart for the snes? Because thanks to that game, and the fact that the person in first place always happens to have a repeating super star when I get close, resulted in my snes controller having many bite marks on it. Embarrassed Sweatdrop Oh Well

When I play CS online, and I find some player really into the game, whining about everything being unfair and unrealistic, and "play right---this is serious stuff", I take my mic, put it inside my mouth, and start breathing heavily, so everyone suddenly hears a very loud MMMMMMMMMMMHHHHNNNNN HHHHHHMMMNNNN.....MMMMMMMMMHHHHHHNNNNNNN HHHHHHHHNNNNnn....
Patsai 09-21-2005 04:13 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Lt. Sanji
I used to be really afraid of Zelda boss battles, and still am a little to this day.

It was more than just the bosses that scared me (although the Fire and Water temple bosses were jokes to me), it was the enviorments of the dungeons that felt real, it's hard to imagine they're dungeons in the first place (I mean, the OoT dungeons, WW dungeons were pretty laughable). I think my first reaction to seeing the Gohma boss was turning off the console. I was like eight back then. Even worse were the repetitive skeletons that kept appearing at night when you're kid Link.
Mike 09-21-2005 05:18 PM
When I get frustrated in a game, I get a filthy potty mouth.

In CS, I heart the Sig 552 and the Steyr Aug.

Doom 3 freaked me out. The first time, anyway. But that was probably because I was playing it with the lights out and the sound cranked up.

Zelda bosses never scared me. The temples used to intimidate me because I always thought I'd get lost. The chanting in the Fire Temple was creepy, though.

Like Phil, my left hand always automatically goes to WASD. I have emulators set up that way, too, I think it works better because the movement controls are usually on the left hand anyway.
Generalissimo D 09-21-2005 05:26 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Mike
Zelda bosses never scared me. The temples used to intimidate me because I always thought I'd get lost. The chanting in the Fire Temple was creepy, though.

Like Phil, my left hand always automatically goes to WASD. I have emulators set up that way, too, I think it works better because the movement controls are usually on the left hand anyway.

Ganon in OoT scared me. I get lost in the Temples for ages.

I am intuitive for controls. On a keyboard for emulators and platformers, they jump to the arrow keys and R-shift and ASD.

All fullscreen actual games(shooters mostly..and Starcraft for reasons I cannot fathom) I automatically land on WASD. I could be near death, but I always fell for my WASD. STRAFING IS A LUXURY!

I also never use the keypad unless abso-friggan-lutely. I HATE IT.

I tend to not breath or blink for various large streches of time when really into a game though. And I like to -make- sure enemies are dead by attacking them that one extra time.
DJX Prime 09-22-2005 07:33 AM
Okay, some of my weird gaming habits.

Every time I play a Castlevania game, I have to break every candle that I come across, even if I don't need the item inside it.

Also, whenever a bunch of use played Puzzel Fighter, every other game had two of us playing both as Dan. What does this mean? It means that every time one guy clears a chain of crystals, the other guy gets stacked with nothing but red crystals. This goes on back and forth until both sides have nothing but red crystals built up. At that point, it's a race to see who can get a red crystal breaker first and deal the other guy...THE BIG SCREEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWW!!! Tongue

So far, my weirdest habit is instead of playing a game, I watch someone else play it as if I'm watching the tube.
Sir Nise 09-23-2005 10:44 AM
While playing thru FFTactics, I discovered that the AI in the game are complete hookers and kill your guys when you don't want them too(never) and so I cuss at the screen and call them all sorts of profane names.

I don't, but my brother, mother, and sister all lean and sway when playing games. Maybe they think that that will help them be better or move the person in the game. It doesn't.