Sports Hustle

Nine Kuze 11-08-2005 05:54 PM
Earlier this week, the Philadelphia Eagles suspended Terrell Owens for four games, meaning he was suspended for the rest of the season.

We all T.O. is portrayed to be a self-centered, egostital jerk but we also know that he's pretty damn good on the field as well. One of the best in his postition.

So, what do you guys think about Philly's banishment of T.O.? Do you think it was stupid or justified? Do you think ol' boy will come back to Philly or is he done in the City of Brotherly Love for good?

Personally, I think that they were pretty right and justified to suspend T.O., but I'm sure about the 'for the whole season' deal. I wasn't feeling it for Ron Artest and I'm not about it for Owens. Even though dude carries more baggage than a busboy at the Hiltons, I think that football wise, Philly wasn't really right for doing this.

But non-football and everything else wise, I think it was the right thing to do and T.O., just shut the hell up once in a while and leave Donovan alone. It what I got.

Post up what you think.
Peace.
Spooky 11-08-2005 09:57 PM
I think the Eagles were very justified in suspending Owens. He needs to be brought down a peg and realize that he's part of a team and not "The Terrell Owens Team, featuring the Eagles!"

Owens is suspened for the same reasons why Tampa let go of Keyshawn Johnson. After Keyshawn's suspension, I think he's come back to the game as a level-headed, team player, with a determination to win.


Perhaps I'm biased in this matter as it means the Cowboys will have an even better chance at beating the Eagles Monday night....again Tongue
Nine Kuze 11-11-2005 01:23 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Spooky
I think the Eagles were very justified in suspending Owens. He needs to be brought down a peg and realize that he's part of a team and not "The Terrell Owens Team, featuring the Eagles!"

Owens is suspened for the same reasons why Tampa let go of Keyshawn Johnson. After Keyshawn's suspension, I think he's come back to the game as a level-headed, team player, with a determination to win.


Perhaps I'm biased in this matter as it means the Cowboys will have an even better chance at beating the Eagles Monday night....again Tongue


Yeah, I'm kind of with you on that Spooky. The Eagles had every right to suspend Owens and dude was and did do this to himself because he just kept giving them reasons to act the way they did.

Although, I'm kind of sad because T.O. was one of my favorite players because he was so damn good at what he did... but he doesn't do anything anymore at the moment. Anybody else on the T.O. soap opera?

Small NBA news: I don't want to alarm or jinx anybody in Los Angeles (or is is Anaheim. Damn you, Angels!) but the LA Clippers are 5-1! I know, I know. It's been 6 games but still for the Clippers, this is pretty damn good. Unbelievable, to be more exact.
Peace.
Nine Kuze 11-22-2005 05:47 PM
You sports, mostly basketball fans, or just sports brawl fans, you have to CHECK THIS OUT!

This is a slide show of some of the most recent brawls that took place in the NBA and actually, its kind of entertaining. The resoultion and graphics are a bit fuzzy and not all that good but its still good enough to see some fights and encounters that go down Big Grin

Man, who know knew Shawn Bradley could take a punch? And Dennis, you kidder...

Here's another one on the best dunks and other plays in the 2004-2005 season.
Peace.
YoruameBaroness 11-23-2005 12:53 AM
According to David Ortiz, Manny Ramirez won't be returning to Boston next year.

"Manny lives a difficult situation that only he and his family know about, and he does not want to play there," Ortiz said.

There's a strong probability that Manny will join Guerrero in the lineup of the Angels of Anaheim.

Read the entire story here.
Wingnut 11-24-2005 06:36 AM
Well it's Turkey day and that means the annual football game for the Lions. Takeing on Vick and Atlanta isn't a very solid prospect for a win. In all reality Vick will likely school us all over Ford Field, still it is a proud tridition here in Detroit to play on Thanksgiveing day win or lose and I look foward to enjoying the game even if the Lions get their butts kicked.
Nine Kuze 11-28-2005 08:35 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Wingnut
Well it's Turkey day and that means the annual football game for the Lions. Takeing on Vick and Atlanta isn't a very solid prospect for a win. In all reality Vick will likely school us all over Ford Field, still it is a proud tridition here in Detroit to play on Thanksgiveing day win or lose and I look foward to enjoying the game even if the Lions get their butts kicked.


Yeah, it is kind of a tradition here in Michigan to eat some trukey and stiffing with the fam while you watch the Lions lose to (insert ANY football team here) on Thanksgiving Day.

Anyway, the Boston Celtics legendary franchise has officially hit the fan.Larry Bird and Bill Russell must be rollin' in their graves...
Peace.
Nine Kuze 12-06-2005 04:36 PM
quote:
Originally posted by YoruameBaroness
According to David Ortiz, Manny Ramirez won't be returning to Boston next year.

"Manny lives a difficult situation that only he and his family know about, and he does not want to play there," Ortiz said.

There's a strong probability that Manny will join Guerrero in the lineup of the Angels of Anaheim.

Read the entire story here.


This is true as Manny has put his house for sale (anybody here got $6.3 million for a house in Beantown?) and I found this article about a three way trade talking about Manny going to Anaheim.
Peace.
Nine Kuze 12-13-2005 04:15 PM
A brief post about some news in the sports realm...

USC's Reggie Bush won the Heisman Trophy. Rightfully so, since dude got about 88% of the votes...

Ron Artest says he wants to be traded from the Pacers, thinking it will be better for the team. Well, the kids in Indiana aren't too happy (and neither I'm I, dammit!) and here's a picture of how they feel about Ron Ron right now...
Peace.
088nd 03-07-2006 05:36 PM
I know this is a big bump, but I'm really getting into the NBA right now, especially as I'm from Dallas. Mavs rule, get it? Any predictions from anyone else (most likely Nine XXVI)? I'm rooting for the Mavs to go all the way, and they've got some amazing players in all aspects of the game. They are in no way one dimensional, and all of their players have something they add to the game. Even Dampier, who's often looked down upon, is an awesome dunk-blocker, as well as a pretty good offensive rebounder. I really want them to win, and if they can step it up in time, I think they just might have a chance.
Nine Kuze 03-07-2006 05:54 PM
quote:
Originally posted by 088nd
I know this is a big bump, but I'm really getting into the NBA right now, especially as I'm from Dallas. Mavs rule, get it? Any predictions from anyone else (most likely Nine XXVI)? I'm rooting for the Mavs to go all the way, and they've got some amazing players in all aspects of the game. They are in no way one dimensional, and all of their players have something they add to the game. Even Dampier, who's often looked down upon, is an awesome dunk-blocker, as well as a pretty good offensive rebounder. I really want them to win, and if they can step it up in time, I think they just might have a chance.


*looks around thread*

WOW. It's been a while. Thanks for bringing it back 088nd. Gettin' into the NBA? Good man and now for your prediction on how the Dallas Mavericks. Don't worry about a thing, man. I got you. How will they do?

They won't win the NBA Championship.

I'm sorry to say that but the chances of their being a rematch between the San Antonio Spurs and the Detroit Pistons are very high and it could go to either one of the teams. Hopefully, not Detroit.

The Mavericks have done very well this season. Dirk Nowitzki is rightfully a MVP candidate (just give it back to Steve Nash), Jason Terry is shooting the sh*t out of the ball, Josh Howard is stepped up big time, and the bench is crazy deep. Also, Avery Johnson has done something no one thought that would be seen in their lifetime: He has the Mavericks playing defense. On a team with Keith Van Horn, that deserves a lock for Coach of the Year.

But Dallas has a trend of screwing up big games down the stretch, for example against San Antonio and Phoenix last week and if history is anything, people just don't trust Dallas in the playoffs because to win in the playoffs you need defense and a half court game. Dallas, even though they have improved, aren't in the same league as San Antonio and Detroit.

For a prediction as of right now. If Dallas ends up with the first seed, they'll play either the LA Lakers or Utah. Dallas would win both sets in probably five games. Kobe gets one because he'll probably go apesh*t on them again (remember the 61?). And as for Utah, while if Andrei Kirilenko's wife lets him have an "allowance", then I don't see why they can't win one game against the Mavs.

If they get the 4th seed, which is more likely, then Dallas would play the LA Clippers and would probably win five games. Come on its still the Clip Show. Much love, Elton Brand!

Either way, Dallas can't avoid San Antonio. And San Antonio is better than Dallas. And San Antonio will beat them.

But look at it this way, San Antonio isn't exactly 100% healthy and San Antonio has never won back-to-back championship titles. So there's something, if anything, to grasp for the Mavericks in winning the NA Title.

Hope this helps, dude. Smile
Peace.
088nd 03-07-2006 07:11 PM
Yeah, I really can't help but agreeing with you. I mean, I really desperately want them to win, but after their performance in last Sunday's game against Phoenix, I feel it would be going against logic to say they have a serious chance. I mean, they were outplaying them all through the game until the last two minutes, and in that time Phoenix was able to make it an unwinnable game. It kind of angers me, as it seems they are able to play so much better than they did. I do, however, think they'll make a decent run in the playoffs. I don't know if you're right about the Clippers beating them, but I'm going to trust you, seeing as you probably have years more of basketball exposure than I do.

I'll probably wind up pulling for San Antonio after the Mavs are bumped off of the playoff bracket. I mean, it is another Texas team afterall.
Nine Kuze 03-08-2006 12:37 PM
quote:
Originally posted by 088nd
I don't know if you're right about the Clippers beating them, but I'm going to trust you, seeing as you probably have years more of basketball exposure than I do.

I'll probably wind up pulling for San Antonio after the Mavs are bumped off of the playoff bracket. I mean, it is another Texas team afterall.


Oops, my bad. Sorry if I didn't make that more clear before but I meant that if Dallas and the Clippers met in the playoffs, than Dallas would win in five games. Six games just to be interesting and nice but that's pretty much stretching it. So, five games will do.

Also, just for fun, here are the NBA Standings by conference:

Eastern Conference:
1. Detroit, 2. Miami, 3. New Jersey, 4. Cleveland,
5. Indiana, 6. Washington, 7. Philadelphia, 8. Milwaukee

Western Conference:
1. San Antonio, 2. Phoenix, 3. Denver, 4. Dallas,
5. LA Clippers, 6. Memphis, 7. New Orleans/Oklahoma City,
8. LA Lakers

Also, the jig's up, Barry Bonds.
Peace.
088nd 04-17-2006 02:09 PM
Only one more week of play until the NBA playoffs!

And the MVP still isn't really a clear decision. So many good candidates to choose from. My pick goes to Dirk (surprise?). He's helped the Mavs have one of the greatest seasons in franchise history, and the team that was built around his insane shooting ability is really championship caliber. But there's still Chauncy Billups, whose working his way towards ANOTHER Detroit appearance in the finals. His shooting ability torched so many good Eastern conference teams, it's almost ungodly. Kobe is another to consider for obvious reasons. I don't think, however, that Nash should be in the picture again. IMO, he hasn't had as good of a season this year, especially without Stoudemire there to make him look better. But that's just me.

Another thing: is it just more, or does it look like the Clippers are manipulating their playoff seed? The sudden appearance of Memphis in the #5 spot shocked me, especially after the Clippers had held it for the past month and a half.



I just can't wait for the playoffs right now. The Mavs really have a chance to beat any team in the Western Conference, especially now that Howard and Griffin are upping their minutes.
Nine Kuze 04-17-2006 02:23 PM
quote:
Originally posted by 088nd
Only one more week of play until the NBA playoffs!

And the MVP still isn't really a clear decision. So many good candidates to choose from. My pick goes to Dirk (surprise?). He's helped the Mavs have one of the greatest seasons in franchise history, and the team that was built around his insane shooting ability is really championship caliber. But there's still Chauncy Billups, whose working his way towards ANOTHER Detroit appearance in the finals. His shooting ability torched so many good Eastern conference teams, it's almost ungodly. Kobe is another to consider for obvious reasons. I don't think, however, that Nash should be in the picture again. IMO, he hasn't had as good of a season this year, especially without Stoudemire there to make him look better. But that's just me.

Another thing: is it just more, or does it look like the Clippers are manipulating their playoff seed? The sudden appearance of Memphis in the #5 spot shocked me, especially after the Clippers had held it for the past month and a half.



I just can't wait for the playoffs right now. The Mavs really have a chance to beat any team in the Western Conference, especially now that Howard and Griffin are upping their minutes.

I really can't either. And has far as the MVP thing goes yeah, you can name about 10 different guys and give them all pretty damn good defenses on why they should win the MVP. But here are my five:
  • Elton Brand
  • Kobe Bryant
  • LeBron James
  • Steve Nash
  • Dirk Nowitzki

And how can you say that Steve Nash shouldn't be in it again, man? He's got nine different players averging career highs in points because of him (what up Boris Diaw!), he has the Suns playing at the same pace as they were last year, and he has no Amare Stoudemire which still has to suck hard because last time he played for real, he dropped 37 ppg against the Spurs in the playoffs. I'm not really sure who should win out of this five guys but personally, I'd like to see Brand get it. Smile

Also, I really despise the Pistons even though I'm like fifteen minutes away from the Palace and I'm going for the Spurs to win it all (hopefully) again. And yeah, the Clippers all of a sudden dropped to the 6th seed, and that's because they'll be playing Denver. LAC has a better record than DEN and because of that they'll home court advantage... and LAC has pretty much had DEN's number all year. So yeah it's underhanded but its smart as hell. Meanwhile, the Grizzlies get the Mavericks. Damn, Grizzly Pau and the Grizzlies can't get a break. First San Antonio, then Phoenix, now Dallas.

Also, if the playoffs started right now (and this is pretty much how its going to be) this is what we got:

:: Eastern Conference ::
1. Detroit vs. 8. Chicago
4. Cleveland vs. 5. Washington
3. New Jersey vs. 6. Indiana
2. Miami vs. 7. Milwaukee

:: Western Conference ::
1. San Antonio vs. 8. Sacramento
4. Dallas vs. 5. Memphis
3. Denver vs. 6. LA Clippers
2. Phoenix vs. 7. LA Lakers

Take a look at that.
EDIT: 101 Reasons why the NBA was popping this year.
Peace.
088nd 04-18-2006 07:00 PM
Yahoo Sports has an interesting article on why LeBron James should be this years MVP.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=An9RXjMnhkaVM_rDaFuzvym8vLYF?slug=sk-
lebron041406&prov=yhoo&type=lgns


I'm not certain as to the validity of the arguments, especially saying that he is the only good player on his team. In regards to that, Kobe would be a much more suitable choice, as he is the ONLY reason the Lakers are in the playoffs. I really believe a Cavs team without LeBron could easily beat a Lakers team without Kobe. It seems like the Cavs have much more talent than the Lakers do. I mean, you haven't seen LeBron getting 80 point games have you? They play much more cohesively as a team, and I think arguing he's the reason the Cavs are in the playoffs, and therefore the MVP, is definitely flawed when you don't look at the Lakers.

And what was this talk about Dirk not having any talent around him?
Nine Kuze 04-19-2006 03:51 PM
quote:
Originally posted by 088nd
Yahoo Sports has an interesting article on why LeBron James should be this years MVP.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=An9RXjMnhkaVM_rDaFuzvym8vLYF?slug=sk-
lebron041406&prov=yhoo&type=lgns


I'm not certain as to the validity of the arguments, especially saying that he is the only good player on his team. In regards to that, Kobe would be a much more suitable choice, as he is the ONLY reason the Lakers are in the playoffs. I really believe a Cavs team without LeBron could easily beat a Lakers team without Kobe. It seems like the Cavs have much more talent than the Lakers do. I mean, you haven't seen LeBron getting 80 point games have you? They play much more cohesively as a team, and I think arguing he's the reason the Cavs are in the playoffs, and therefore the MVP, is definitely flawed when you don't look at the Lakers.

And what was this talk about Dirk not having any talent around him?

Does LBJ deserve to be an MVP candidate? Yes. Should he win. No. Are the Cavaliers better than the Lakers? Yes. Is Kobe better than LBJ? Yes. I guess what you can see what I'm getting at here is that I think that Kobe has a much better shot than LBJ for winning the MVP. Like you said 088nd, not only are the Cavaliers better than the Lakers without both LBJ and Kobe, but Kobe is the sole reason (I guess you can throw in Phil Jackson as well) that the Lakers are even in the playoffs, let alone have a winning record (I think). Personally, I think the MVP race somes down to Nash and Nowitzki, and I'm going with Nash, just because of everything that PHX went through during the year. True, Dirk is leading the Mavericks to the third best record of the year and they're playing defense (I'll NEVER get use to that) but I'm going with Steve Nash to make a repeat, although in reality, that probably won't happen.

EDIT: From Slamonline.com:
quote:
First we dismiss the brilliant players on mediocre teams (otherwise known as the Andre Dawson Rule). LeBron James will join Oscar Robertson, Jerry West and Michael Jordan as the only guys in NBA history to average 30 points, six rebounds and six assists for a season. Brilliant. Kobe Bryant once threw a pass to Bill Walton's son. Unbelievable. But when it comes to winning games, LeBron and The Black Mamba are insignificant. Being them is like being the very best K-Mart jewelry salesmen in a store located next to Tiffany's.

Funny stuff right there and it makes the same point as I do.

Dude's an idiot. Of coruse Dirk Nowitzki has talent around him. He always has. The problem with Dirk is is that never seems to take to the next level such where Shaquille O'Neal or Tim Duncan have to win six total championships between them. Dirk definetly has the talent to do so but he's much like Kevin Garnett, too unselfish for his own good. And also Dirk seems to have problems with smaller and less talented defenders, such as Bruce Bowen (my pick for DPOY) and Ryan Bowen last year. Dallas will beat Memphis in five games but then they run into San Antonio, where they go down in seven. If SAS wasn't so banged up, I'd say six. But with DAL's depth and SAS's injuries, this will be one helluva series that goes to seven.

EDIT: Here's more on Dirk Nowitzki's MVP chances.
Peace.
088nd 04-25-2006 09:56 PM
In case you hadn't heard yet, Avery Johnson was named Coach of the Year.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=As...=yhoo&type=lgns
Nine Kuze 04-25-2006 10:01 PM
quote:
Originally posted by 088nd
In case you hadn't heard yet, Avery Johnson was named Coach of the Year.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=As...=yhoo&type=lgns

YES. Sweetness, because that was my pick for Coach of the Year. And he totally deserves it. Any man who can get the Dallas Mavericks playing defense instantly should get the award hands down.

I would have been alright with Mike Dunleavy (LA Clippers) or Byron Scott (New Orleans/Oklahoma City Hornets), but its cool to see the Lil' General get the award.
Peace.
088nd 04-30-2006 06:00 PM
Wow, first week of the playoffs are almost over with. I suppose that's the only word I can describe it with, too - "wow". There are so many good matchups, and no team (besides the Mavs), have been able to dominate their opponents. Even San Antonio and Detroit lost to the Kings and the Bucks, respectively. The sheer number of games being decided by 3 or fewer points, or even going into overtime, shows that this year is special. Every team wants it so bad, it's incredible. I'm really excited as to what the next week brings in store.
Right now:

Eastern
1. Detroit vs. 8. Milwaukee - Detroit leads 2-1
2. Miami vs. 7. Chicago - Tied 2-2
3. New Jeresy vs. 6. Indiana - Nets lead 2-1
4. Cleveland vs. 5. Washington - Cavs lead 2-1

Western
1. San Antonio vs. 8. Sacramento - Tied 2-2
2. Phoenix vs. 7. Los Angeles Lakers - Lakers lead 3-1
3. Denver vs. 6. Los Angeles Clippers - Clippers lead 3-1
4. Dallas vs. 5. Memphis - Mavs lead 3-0!

Surprise by the Lakers anyone? I didn't know they could play team ball, but they proved me wrong, and are now up 3-1 against the suns (including todays suspensful one point victory in overtime). Seriously, where were guys like Kwame Brown, Smush Parker, and Sasha Vujacic in the regular season? Kobe has really led these guys into being a much better team, and I can only expect that they get better throughout the series.

Your thoughts, Nine?

Edit: Well, the Kings just handed it to the Spurs, beating them 102-84. I think it's safe to say that they will not win the championship. I mean, I've heard of comebacks, but this is an 8 seed we're talking about. After they would beat Sacramento, they would have to go through Dallas, and Phoenix/Lakers/Clippers. Not looking to good for them.