Sports Hustle

Nine Kuze 10-10-2005 08:15 PM
The weekend sure was busy. Wingnut, the Red Wings won though. I think to Calgary. But to the big news, the MLB Champions, the Boston Red Sox, got sweeped by the other Sox from Chi-Town that everybody thought was going to choke. Damn, I thought the champs would win at least one game... Also, the Cardinals swept the Padres, no surprise there, and the Yankees forced a Game 5 tonight against the LA Angels of Anaheim. But the thing that shocks me is Game 4 of the Astros/Braves series. Not only did the Astros win on a last home run play against the Braves, but that the game went to 18 innings! That's crazy! Think about it, that's like watching around six hours of baseball. That's the thing that shocked me.

Also, in football news, the Redskins and the Benegals are no longer undefeated. And someone else too, but I forget. And Patriots win again from number #4 against the Michael Vick-less Falcons.

That's all I got for now.
Peace.
The Fallen Phoenix 10-10-2005 09:32 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Paradigm City Hustla
The weekend sure was busy. Wingnut, the Red Wings won though. I think to Calgary. But to the big news, the MLB Champions, the Boston Red Sox, got sweeped by the other Sox from Chi-Town that everybody thought was going to choke. Damn, I thought the champs would win at least one game... Also, the Cardinals swept the Padres, no surprise there, and the Yankees forced a Game 5 tonight against the LA Angels of Anaheim. But the thing that shocks me is Game 4 of the Astros/Braves series. Not only did the Astros win on a last home run play against the Braves, but that the game went to 18 innings! That's crazy! Think about it, that's like watching around six hours of baseball. That's the thing that shocked me.

Five hours, actually. Okay, okay, five hours and a LOT of change.

I like rounding down.

The shock doesn't really come from the time of the game persay, but the fact that 18 innings is, in effect, two complete games.

...I am very irritated with the officiating in Game 5 of this ALDS, though. A generous strike zone I can live with (because both teams are getting the benefit of it), but that was a terrible call by Joe West ending the top of the 5th.

And the Yankee defense hasn't been helping, either...
Nine Kuze 10-11-2005 01:06 PM
Yeah, the Yankees lost in five to the Angels. Didn't see that coming. Well, actually, I didn't expect to see both the Yankees and the Red Sox lost in the division series. Very interesting. That five years now that the NYY last won the whole thing. Since 2000. Think about that...

Read this to see how A-Rod is getting kicked down for how sorry he played.

And SLAM Magazine writer Lang Whitaker is pretty hurt about the Braves' losing...

Peace.
Nine Kuze 10-14-2005 12:27 PM
ALCS Game 2

Did anybody see or hear about this? If they did can they explain what the hell happened or tell me how Pierzynski was called out? Seriously tell me, because that boy out like Ron Artest last year...

Peace.
The Fallen Phoenix 10-14-2005 08:10 PM
quote:
ALCS Game 2

Did anybody see or hear about this? If they did can they explain what the hell happened or tell me how Pierzynski was called out? Seriously tell me, because that boy out like Ron Artest last year...

Peace.

He wasn't called out, and that's the problem because replays showed the ball was actually fielded cleanly.

In baseball there is a rule that if, on a swinging strike three, the catcher does not catch the ball, the batter is permitted to attempt to run to a base, in which case the catcher must either tag the batter or force him out at first to officially record the out.

Usually, when a ball goes into the dirt, the catcher will tag the batter anyway just as a precaution. When the ball is not ruled caught, however, an umpire will usually yell, "no catch!" in order to inform the players how the play was called. The umpire, however, merely gave the sign for strike three (thereby indicating the third out) and did not rule whether the catcher had actually caught the ball.

Pierzynski, taking a chance, decided to break for first. The catcher, thinking the play was made, had already disposed of the ball (tossed it to the mound), so he made it safely.

Worst call in postseason history? Probably not, but it certainly ranks in the top 10...
Nine Kuze 10-17-2005 01:01 PM
Thanks for clearing that, Forum Phantom. I just know that it was a pretty ****** call and still, the Angels went down with some respect. Gotta tip your hats of to them. I'm also starting to think that the Cardinals are gonna win the World Series.

Did anybody see the USC/Notre Dame game? Man, there's an instant classic. Reggie Bush is amazing, anytime ol' boy got his hands on the ball, dude practically scored everytime. And three touchdowns! Matt Leinart is the man also, doing his thing at the end like that. Even though he got lucky twice on those two calls at the end, Leinart knows how to win and not to lose.

Anyway, that's what I got for now.
Peace.
The Fallen Phoenix 10-17-2005 06:07 PM
quote:
Thanks for clearing that, Forum Phantom. I just know that it was a pretty ****** call and still, the Angels went down with some respect. Gotta tip your hats of to them. I'm also starting to think that the Cardinals are gonna win the World Series.

No way in Heaven, Hell, or high Purgatory. The way the Cardinals have been hitting, there is practically zero chance they are going to be able to defeat Pettitte, Oswalt, and Clemens in succession. They might win with Carpenter tonight (though against a healthy Pettitte, I really don't like St. Louis' chances), but that's all they're going to get.

Houston's starting pitching is about as good as Chicago's starting pitching, in my opinion. White Sox starters might be hotter, but the Astros' pitchers have been there before and have the benefit of experience. Furthermore, the Astros have a better bullpen by far--Lidge is the best closer in the National League, and is just as good as Mo Rivera.

Houston-Chicago--I have no doubt that is the World Series we will be looking at this year--is going to be very exciting, because it will be the first time in a long time that we can look forward to a pitcher's duel every single night this World Series. As a baseball fan, I'm extremely excited about that.

I do tip my hat to the Cardinals, who have done well all year despite their injuries--but their patchwork lineup simply cannot hold up in the postseason, which isn't particularly surprising.

Cheers to the amazing double play that ended Game 4 of the NLCS, by the way. Easily one of the top three double plays I have ever seen.

I just want to end this post quoting Jayson Stark:

quote:
The trouble is, what can [the Astros] do to top that script from Sunday? Get no-hit by Chris Carpenter for 8 2/3 innings, then score five with two outs in the ninth to win? Come from 11 runs down and win in 29 innings? Activate Nolan Ryan and have him pitch the ninth?

Sure. Why not? With this team, anything literally is possible.
AndroidZeroX 10-17-2005 06:23 PM
I would have to agree, I do not see the Cardinals being able to stand up to Pettitte tonight even if Carpenter is on the mound for them. I see them getting put away tonight, and the way the ChiSox pitching is coming along with there starters reaching complete games all the time, i see the Astros struggling against that pitching staff, and losing the WS.
Nine Kuze 10-17-2005 07:40 PM
quote:
I'm also starting to think that the Cardinals are gonna win the World Series.

Yeah, about that comment I made. I made this comment before I went home and found out that the Cardinals are down to the Astros 3 games to 1. So, sorry about that and sorry St. Louis...

But I do agree with AndroidZeroX about how the Astros are going to have troubles against the ChiSox pitching and I see them losing to the Sox in the World Series.

On another NBA note, after not being waived by the Allan Houston amnesty-clause rule, Knicks guard Allan Houston retired today. Man, talk about ironic.
Peace.
The Fallen Phoenix 10-17-2005 07:54 PM
White Sox are going to fare little better against the Astros' pitching. Lets face it, Chicago hitters have not been challenged this postseason. Boston's pitching was atrocious, and aside from LA of Anaheim's bullpen--which looked a little worn out, to me--the Angels had little to offer, either. And I'm not just saying that because Colon was out, because I don't think things would have been too much different if Colon was in and healthy.

Personally, I do not think Chicago's lineup is any stronger than Houston's. I know Chicago bashed 200 home runs over the course of the regular season (I'm still scratching my head at exactly how they managed to pull that off), but they are a small-ball team, all the way. As is Houston. And as I said before, I really think their pitching staffs are about even. The Angels had zero offense this postseason; Figgins and Guerrero were both ice-cold, and that team can do next to nothing when those two bats aren't working.

If nothing else, the World Series is going seven games. Houston does not lose at home during the postseason; they're currently riding a seven (playoff) game winning streak at home. If they can just manage a split the first two games at Chicago, I honestly have to admit I like Houston's chances, even if they do not win all three middle games.
Mr. Fortnight 10-17-2005 08:29 PM
quote:
More NBA...

Western Conference:
1. San Antonio
2. Phoenix
3. Minnesota
4. Dallas
5. Houston
6. Sacramento
7. Seattle
8. LA Lakers

1. San Antonio (4) vs. 8. LA Lakers (0)
4. Dallas (3) vs. 5. Houston (4)
3. Minnesota (4) vs. 6. Sacramento (2)
2. Phoenix (4) vs. 7. Seattle (2)

1. San Antonio (4) vs. 5. Houston (1)
2. Phoenix (4) vs. 3. Minnesota (1)

1. San Antonio (4) vs. 2. Phoenix (2)
2006 Western Conference Champions: San Antonio Spurs

No one is going to touch San Antonio this year. PERIOD.

I had LA reach the playoffs and beat Denver, Golden St., and Memphis because Philly's back. Sure Kobe and Phil don't like each other but they've shown that they can win. But this team still has a lot of problems (Kwame Brown) but I think Kobe and Phil can get them to the playoffs... to be mauled by San Antonio.

With Cassell and Sprewell gone, Minnesota's back in the playoffs. But there aren't anywhere near there 2004 heyday. Phoenix is still good but wouldn't be as good as they were last year without Richardson and Johnson but in the weak Pacific Division, they win the crown no problem and should get to the Conference Finals again. Amare Stoudemire is AMAZING. Period.

Golden St. isn't there yet but, hell who knows maybe next year, the Warriors will end there 1,000 year playoff drought. Baron Davis is making it happen in Oakland. I have a rematch with Dallas and Houston in the first round and this time, my favorite team wins in seven. Houston has improved big time with Stromile Swift and Derek Anderson and having Tracy, Yao, and the other 500 guards together for a full season. Besides, Dirk is looking like he's losing it. The Rockets and Suns shut him down last year's playoffs and the Mavericks seem weaker this upcoming year then they have in years.
Also, one last thing from the NBA. 2006 MVP: Jermaine O'Neal!!!!

Peace.

I wouldn't discount Minnesota that easily. Minnesota has proababy the most hungry of any Minnesota team in history. Also, Whenever Minnesota and San Antonio face eachother, it's a rivalry like no other. That comes from when Minnesota and San Antonio were in the same division. Thing is, San Antonio's wins in the Finals the past few years were flukes against weaker teams in my opinion. I do not see Phoenix beating us like you predict, and I think this is probably the season that KG FINALLY gets a championship, in a TIMBERWOLVES jersey. Might be a 7 game battle, but Minnesota CAN beat San Antonio in the Finals.
Nine Kuze 10-19-2005 01:08 PM
Right now, for the city of Chi-Town, things are looking pretty good with the White Sox going to the World Series. But don't forget about the other Chicago team. I thought this was pretty interesting...

One of my favorite players, Ron Artest, said he would like to fight Ben Wallace on Pay-Per-View for $10 million dollars. The funnier thing is is that the columinst says that he'd pick Wallace in a nine round-TKO... but only if they wore gloves.

Also, here are some NBA players talking about the new dress code.

I also found this to be very interesting...

Also, to reply to Ensign Minneapolis, I wrote that awhile ago and I came up with my official NBA preview and it that, I don't have the Lakers making the playoffs (in fact, to be honest, I think Golden St. has a better chance than they do), Denver makes the playoffs, Sacramento and Seattle move down a notch in the standings, and yes, I still have the Wolves losing to the Suns in the second round. Except this time in six games, or possibly even seven games.

I agree that Minnesota should be the most hungry team in the West, overall in the NBA, it's Indiana, I just don't see Minnesota doing a lot in the playoffs. True, they got rid off Cassell and Sprewell, but they bad thing is they got rid of Cassell and Sprewell. True they head cases and a couple of punks but when they were doing they're thing thay were dropping 19 and 16 and I don't think Mario Jaric and Rashard McCants is gonna be producing like that this year. And also they have a new coach who hasn't been a head coach yet and that's gotta mean something in the West. Mostly, I do believe that when MIN and SAS play, its a good rivalry but it wouldn't be like it has been in the last couple of years since San Antonio is pretty much untouchable (not in the preseason at least, but wait until the regular season Big Grin ). And also Phoenix is not going away. They still have Stoudemire, Nash, and Marion, Nash is the reigning MVP, Marion hardly needs the ball that much to get his 18ppg and even though Stoudemire is injured for four months, the Suns should be fine and with a descent record when he comes back. But without Johnson and Richardson, they not going to average 110 points a game and they damn sure not going win 62 games.

The thing is with Minnesota, is that the best teams in the West have gotten better. San Antonio got Michael Finley and Nick Van Exel, Sacramento got Shareff Abdur-Rahim, Dallas and Phoenix FINALLY got people who can play some defense, and my favorite (Houston) got better with the return of Juwan Howard, the signings of Derek Anderson and Stromile Swift, but the trade for Rafer Alston scares me...

Anyway, I'm a fan for Kevin Garnett myself and I hope that before he retires that he gets a championship in Minnesota, but it wouldn't be this year.

Also, I don't understand what you meant by San Antonio facing weak teams in the Finals. No offense to anybody out there but the East has been weak since ol' boy Jordan left after '98. I understand about the '99 Finals against New York but in '03 and '05, the Spurs played against the Nets, who made it to the Finals the year before and brought in defense that year to stop the bigs of the West, and the Pistons, who were the defending champions and were a bad five minutes away from repeating. Just wanted to mention that.
Peace.
Nine Kuze 10-21-2005 09:31 AM
There's going to be an interview on 60 Minutes this Sunday and here's a preview of what Michael Jordan has to say...
Peace.
The Fallen Phoenix 10-22-2005 04:12 PM
World Series starts tonight (Houston Astros at Chicago White Sox, 8:03 EDT).

Watch it.

...for the record, I predict Houston Astros in six.
Nine Kuze 10-25-2005 05:55 PM
quote:
Originally posted by The Forum Phantom

Watch it.

At this point in time, that would mean that the Astros would have to win four in row against that amazing pitching and unbelievable luck of the White Sox...

You may not know the Celtics Mark Blount, but still read this. He's in some trouble...

Anyway, what is one of your favorite sports moments? Mine is at the end of Game 1 during the Rockets/Magic Finals in 1995. Hakeem Olajuwon grabbed a rebound and tip the ball back in to win the game in overtime for the Rockets to win the game. (Later, the Rockets would sweep ORL for their second straight title). That was the very first time I watched a basketball game and I've been hooked ever since. What about you guys?
Peace.
The Fallen Phoenix 10-26-2005 06:20 PM
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by The Forum Phantom

Watch it.

At this point in time, that would mean that the Astros would have to win four in row against that amazing pitching and unbelievable luck of the White Sox...

Luck indeed. The White Sox have gotten so many calls in this year's playoffs that it is seriously ridiculous. I mean, I understand a team might get a call or two and, by the end of a series (or season), calls will balance themselves out.

But still...the calls the White Sox have gotten are ridiculous. And their pitching hasn't been that amazing in the World Series: any one of these three games could have certainly gone either way. Obviously, Houston in 6 is not happening, and although it seems very unlikely that the Astros can pull off four consecutive wins...

I think it could happen. Probably will not happen, but it most certainly could.

quote:
Anyway, what is one of your favorite sports moments? Mine is at the end of Game 1 during the Rockets/Magic Finals in 1995. Hakeem Olajuwon grabbed a rebound and tip the ball back in to win the game in overtime for the Rockets to win the game. (Later, the Rockets would sweep ORL for their second straight title). That was the very first time I watched a basketball game and I've been hooked ever since. What about you guys?
Peace.

The 2001 World Series (particularly, games 3, 4, and 5 at Yankee Stadium) between the New York Yankees and the Arizona Diamondbacks. Those comebacks were unbelievable. I think that was by far the best World Series played in the last two decades, and every game was very enjoyable (save Games 1 and 6, which were both blowouts).

Another two of my favorite sports moments were 1999, when David Cone pitched a perfect game against the Montreal Expos on Yogi Berra day, and September 2, 2001, when Mike Mussina dueled David Cone at Fenway Park. Mussina had retired the first twenty-six batters he faced, and recorded two strikes on Carl Everett, before losing the perfect game bid on a bloop single (damn, what a way to go!). I love pitching duels, and that was one of the best ones I have ever seen. I only wish I could have been at those two games, rather than being stuck watching them on television...
Generalissimo D 10-26-2005 06:24 PM
..My mom kept me up yesterday for nothing.

Astros lost. Everyone was agitated at school today.

I need a bunker to wade this out.

Hurray for The Great American Pastime.
The Baker St. Irregular 10-26-2005 09:17 PM
<-- Is a Chicago Cubs fan.

Mad Grumble-grumble-grumblecakes.
Nine Kuze 10-27-2005 01:39 PM
The White Sox won the World Series and Jermaine Dye was named Series MVP.

But to the real news, did anybody hear about the bombshell that Sweryl Swoopes dropped yesterday. Check it out.

This is just messed up. According to this, somebody was hired to kill Ray Allen's stepfather.
Peace.
Nine Kuze 11-04-2005 01:13 PM
YEAH!!!

It's the beginning of November and that means... the NBA is back!

Here's a survey the NBA GM's took to predict who's going to win what in the NBA this 2006 season. It's pretty interesting.

Today's games are:
Memphis @ Orlando
Charlotte @ Philadelphia
New Jersey @ Toronto
Detroit @ Boston
Washington @ New York
Cleveland @ San Antonio
Portland @ Denver
Utah @ Golden St.
Atlanta @ LA Clippers
Minnesota @ Seattle

My winning picks:
Memphis over Orlando
(someone get Pau Gasol another 'L' in his name...)

Philadelphia over Charlotte
(whoever does the scheduling REALLY screwed PHI. Over the the next couple of days they play Detroit AND Indiana and they are already 2-0.)

New Jersey over Toronto
(Air Canada, er... Jersey makes a comeback! Man, that's going to be fun...)

Detroit over Boston
(Hopefully, Paul Pierce will still be in Beantown by the time the game starts...)

New York over Washington
(Truth be told, Washington will probably get it but it's Larry's first home game with the Knickerbockers and I so want him to win...)

San Antonio over Cleveland
(LeBron won't 6 of 7 three pointers against the champions. That's all I'm sayin'...)

Denver over Portland
(C'mon....)

Golden St. over Utah
(This is the year of the Warriors' playoff push. Sure they won't make it, but damn it, they're gonna try...)

LA Clippers over Atlanta
(Can't wait for this game Tongue ...)

Minnesota over Seattle
(Can someone get Kevin some help? Anybody and no, Wally World does not count...JK)
That's it for me. Peace.