Sports Hustle

Nine Kuze 09-20-2005 05:56 PM
This one is for all my sports hustlers.

It's around this particular time that all sports start to get their season going or are about to end their season. Basketball is starting up next month, as is hockey (Don't call it a comeback!). Football is under way and baseball is entering its final stretch of the season.
Hell, even Nascar is starting their playoffs.

So, with all the sports intergrated at the time being, you do you think will be the champions of their respective sports? Will the Red Sox and Spurs repeat or will someone finally shut up New England? And will the NHL World Champions, the... um... um... well, will the NHL World Champions be able to defend and repeat?

Peace.
The Fallen Phoenix 09-20-2005 07:09 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Paradigm City Hustla

It's around this particular time that all sports start to get their season going or are about to end their season. Basketball is starting up next month, as is hockey (Don't call it a comeback!). Football is under way and baseball is entering its final stretch of the season.

So, with all the sports intergrated at the time being, you do you think will be the champions of their respective sports? Will the Red Sox and Spurs repeat or will someone finally shut up New England? And will the NHL World Champions, the... um... um... well, will the NHL World Champions be able to defend and repeat?

Peace.

Red Sox might not even make the playoffs, and I certainly don't see them repeating.

I'm not really sure, but the way the baseball season is winding down, these are my predictions by division:

AL East
New York ~ 96-66 (1st - Second Seed)
Boston ~ 93-69 (2nd - Miss Playoffs)

AL Central
Cleveland ~ 98-64 (1st - First Seed)
Chicago ~ 95-67 (2nd - Wild Card)

AL West
Los Angeles ~ 93-69 (1st - Third Seed)
Oakland ~ 91-71 (2nd - Miss Playoffs)

NL East
Atlanta ~ 94-68 (1st - Second Seed)
Philadelphia ~ 87-75 (2nd - Miss Playoffs)
Florida ~ 86-76 (3rd - Miss Playoffs)

NL Central
St. Louis ~ 102-60 (1st - First Seed (Already Clinched))
Houston ~ 89-73 (2nd - Wild Card)

NL West
San Diego ~ 82-80* (1st - Third Seed)

*I'd love to see this team finish below .500, just so I can have a nice long laugh.

ALDS
Chicago White Sox @ New York Yankees (3-1)
Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim @ Cleveland Indians (3-0)
NLDS
San Diego Padres @ Houston Astros (3-0)
Atlanta Braves @ St. Louis Cardinals (3-1)

ALCS
New York Yankees @ Cleveland Indians (4-3)
NLCS
Houston Astros @ St. Louis Cardinals (4-2)

WS
St. Louis Cardinals @ New York Yankees (4-2)

It's tough, because I don't want to say St. Louis will win it all because I don't think they will, though they have the best chance on paper. There is a lot hinging on a few factors. First, whether Cleveland manages to stay hot into the playoffs: I think they have a legitimate shot at winning the Central, and I can certainly see them plowing through Los Angeles (perhaps losing the game Colon pitches). The White Sox are fading, and the Yankees have proven they can defeat the White Sox in a short series when Chicago is not playing at full strength; New York, surprisingly, probably has the strongest rotation going into the playoffs of any American League team if Johnson and Small continue pitching the way they have in their previous few starts and Mike Mussina returns to form. If Jaret Wright cannot recover in time for the playoffs, Chacon or Wang are both solid No. 4 starters. I honestly do not think Chicago's Three of Buerhle-Garcia-Garland will hold up in the playoffs, especially since all three starters haven't been particularly consistent over the last month or so. Besides, Chicago's lack of hitting is a serious problem, especially in the American League. The Chisox have not been running, and without that part of the game they are very vulnerable. New York's biggest question mark is, again, its bullpen: can Sturtze and Gordon hold up this year? If so, New York has a legitimate chance to go deep with its good rotation and excellent hitting.

Cleveland has a great one-two punch in Sabathia and Lee, and the back end of their rotation is equally solid. They can have a better rotation than New York if Johnson and/or Small slow down and Mussina gets rocked. Nevertheless, it is their hitting that will probably carry them through the playoffs, so long as the young talent does not choke up. I think New York's experience will probably pull them through to the World Series, however. But I think it will be a great ride regardless.

The Angels, as far as I am concerned, have little pitching after Colon, and their hitters have been very inconsistent over the last month. Anderson has to step up, else Guerrero will just be treated as the AL's Barry Bonds. I cannot see them advancing past the first round.

The National League is really interesting. I think Houston has the best rotation in the majors by far (Clemens-Oswalt-Pettitte is the best three-man rotation in the league), they have a dominant closer in Lidge, but...their hitting is very suspect. They won't get far if they increase Clemens' shutout total (by that I mean Houston getting shutout when Clemens pitches). They have the potential to go to the World Series if their offense can get rolling.

Atlanta...is a wild one, I think. They have pretty good pitching and pretty good hitting, but their bullpen is very vulnerable and they are relying on a lot of rookies. Atlanta hasn't been particularly special over the last month; they're winning the games they should win, but they have not been as dominant as Cleveland, a team which is built in a similar fashion (though the Indians probably have more power). Against St. Louis, though...I don't think Atlanta has much of a chance.

St. Louis has arguably the best pitcher in baseball (apologies to Roger Clemens) in Chris Carpenter, but the rest of their rotation (Mulder, Suppan, and either Morris or Marquis) is certainly solid. Their bullpen isn't dominant, but it doesn't need to be because their starters will eat innings (especially their top two). The offense is the best in the National League, so hitting their way through the playoffs is always an option.

They'll probably be the most well-rested team down the stretch, being as (1) they have already clinched and (2) still have two off days left in the season (one before their last series of the season). Lucky bastards, as if they need any more help this year. Roll Eyes

Padres aren't even a .500 team. Sorry, but they stand no chance in the playoffs, whether Peavy pitches well or not. They shouldn't even be in the playoffs this year.

If St. Louis and Houston match up again in this years' NLCS, it'll be more exciting than last year. Granted, the Astros can't throw out a Carlos Beltran, but they can throw out a healthy Pettitte who has been lights-out second half of the season. I think Houston could really shut down St. Louis' offense if necessary, but without an offense of their own, the Astros are going to be dead in the water.

When all is said and done, these scenarios might not happen. The Indians might realize they're pulling off the impossible--eliminating a 15-game lead. When there was only two months left in the season. The White Sox might wake up and remember they are supposed to be running away with the division. Florida might wake up and remember they are supposed to be able to hit. The Red Sox might actually construct a bullpen, and Schilling might remember that he's an ace. The Big Unit might revert back to his inconsistent self, and Mussina might struggle when he returns. And Small might remember that he's a nobody, a career-AAA starter who shouldn't even be in the major leagues.

Though I hope, for Small's sake, that previous point is false. I'm rooting for Small all the way this year, whether the Yankees make the playoffs or not.

Regardless of what occurs, almost all eight playoff spots are still up for grabs, so almost anything can happen. Good for baseball? Nay, I say--great for baseball. Welcome to the most exciting September we have seen in years.

Now, if only Barry Bonds had done us a favor and gotten his knee hit by a fireballer in his first game back (thereby ending his career), the baseball world would be perfect.
Mike 09-20-2005 07:16 PM
I haven't been following baseball all that much, but I'm starting to doubt the Yankees' ability to go to the Series. Again.

And if they don't, I'm going to root for the White Sox. Poor guys haven't won a championship in like 100 years.
Wingnut 09-20-2005 07:44 PM
quote:

Peace.

It was the Tampa Bay Lightning that last won the Stanley Cup in 2004 BTW. For all the hockey ralated stuff, just turn to me and I'll usually have an opinion on it.
Nine Kuze 09-21-2005 12:40 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Wingnut
quote:

Peace.

It was the Tampa Bay Lightning that last won the Stanley Cup in 2004 BTW. For all the hockey ralated stuff, just turn to me and I'll usually have an opinion on it.

I was kidding about the NHL thing, I knew that the Tampa Bay Lightning are the champs but if you have an opinion on the upcoming NHL season, then please, let us in, Wingnut.

Thanks for responding, Forum Phantom. Pretty damn long but it was very interesting. Personally, I can't see both the Yankees and the Red Sox missin' the playoffs but reality wise, that's what it looks like right now. The Cardinals do look the best on paper to win the World Series, but still I don't wanna count out NYY or BRS yet.

The Padres and White Sox... nothing really to say there.

I'm going to switch over to my main sport, basketball, and give you guys my lowdown. (Check out the Ray Allen avatar!)

Eastern Atlantic Division:
1. Philadelphia
2. New Jersey
3. New York
4. Boston
5. Toronto

Eastern Central Division:
1. Indiana
2. Detroit
3. Cleveland
4. Chicago
5. Milwaukee

Eastern Southeast Division:
1. Miami
2. Washington
3. Orlando
4. Charlotte
5. Atlanta

Western Southwest Division:
1. San Antonio
2. Houston
3. Dallas
4. Memphis
5. New Orleans

Western Northwest Division:
1. Minnesota
2. Seattle
3. Denver
4. Portland
5. Utah

Western Pacific Division:
1. Phoenix
2. Sacramento
3. LA Lakers
4. Golden St.
5. LA Clippers

To put it bluntly, San Antonio repeats as NBA Champions by defeated the Indiana Pacers (4-2). When I get more time, I'll go into further detail about this.

And in the NFL, Indianapolis Colts win the Super Bowl.

Peace.
StevieV019 09-21-2005 03:37 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Wingnut
quote:

Peace.

Pretty much the same here with me...however, coming to BOTH myself and Wingnut, you may find yourself overburdened with some biased opinions...mainly towards the Red Wings...Go Wings! (Right, Wingnut?)
AndroidZeroX 09-21-2005 08:50 PM
Thats a mighty bold pick on the Tribe beating the White Sox. Its close, but i doubt they will choke that bad
The Fallen Phoenix 09-21-2005 09:17 PM
quote:
Originally posted by AndroidZeroX
Thats a mighty bold pick on the Tribe beating the White Sox. Its close, but i doubt they will choke that bad

Since August 1st, the White Sox have gone 23-24. That is below .500 baseball. In their last ten games they are 4-6. In September, Chicago has gone 11-8. That certainly isn't bad, but it isn't good, either, especially when juxtaposed with the seemingly unstoppable Tribe.

Since August 1st, the Tribe has gone an incredible 33-12. There is a reason they have shaved approxmiately twelve games off Chicago's lead. The Tribe has won four consecutive series, and 8 of their last 10. This year, the Tribe has allowed 606 runs as compared with Chicago's 613--pitching has supposedly been Chicago's strength this season, but the Tribe has been beating them at their own game.

Hitting, Chicago has never been fantastic: among AL contenders, only the Angels have scored less runs (a differential of 5).

I'm usually not much of a stats guru, but the numbers that count, in my mind, are both teams' records since August. Remember, the wild card team has won the last three World Series--and in all three cases, that team (Boston in '04, Florida in '03, Anaheim in '02) was the hottest team going into the playoffs.

There is no doubt that Cleveland is that team. The only difference between this team and the three I just mentioned is that the Tribe are hot enough to actually wrest control of the AL Central. Whether this will translate to postseason success does remain to be seen, but I would not hesitate to bet big money that the Tribe overtake Chicago.

I really don't see it as a choke--the Indians have just been playing incredible baseball, as they should be. They have had one of the easiest schedules of all six AL playoff contenders, so the Tribe has been winning the games they should be winning. And, all things considered, I just think the Indians are a better team right now and are playing better baseball.

In other news, the New York Yankees have officially taken a half-game lead over the Boston Red Sox tonight. The Tribe are besting Chicago 5-0 in the top of the 8th.
Nine Kuze 09-23-2005 10:32 AM
Its true that the White Sox have been sinkin' faster than the Titanic did in its day but I think that if Cleveland keeps playing the way they do, they'll catch the White Sox.
As of right now, the Yankees do have a 1/2 game lead over the champions and because of the Braves losing, the Cardinals, even though they lost clinced the National League playoffs. I wouldn't say that they'll win the World Series but I think they get there alright. And my boys the Astros have a lead in their Wild Card Divison.
I have to admit that until recently, I haven't really been a baseball fan or even cared to know that must about it. But that has changed this summer, since I've been watching ESPN waiting for NBA news and watching baseball highlights instead. So, basically I was wondering if someone can clue me in to how the MLB wild card system works. I know it sounds kind of weird but I'll really appricate it.

Also, Rafael Palemiro is full of crap.

I'm gonna switch the scene to basketball for a hot minute.

If I were to make playoff positions right now, this is what I would have:

Eastern Conference:
1. Miami
2. Indiana
3. Philadelphia
4. Detroit
5. Cleveland
6. New Jersey
7. Washington
8. New York

1. Miami (4) vs. 8. New York (0)
4. Detroit (4) vs. 5. Cleveland (1/2)
3. Philadelphia (4) vs. 6. New Jersey (2)
2. Indiana (4) vs. 7. Washington (1)

1. Miami (4) vs. 4. Detroit (2)
2. Indiana (4) vs. 3. Philadelphia (2)

1. Miami (3) vs. 2. Indiana (4)
2006 Eastern Conference Champions: Indiana Pacers

It's pretty much a toss up for the 8th seed between New York, Boston, Chicago, and Orlando but I gave to New York because I think Larry Brown will be able to pull off something. Even though Zeke is killin' that team with all his trades, the Knicks will get more wins only because of Brown's coaching not Marbury switching to the 2.

In the Atlantic, it will be a toss up between Philly and Jersey (soon to be Brooklyn!) but I gave it to the Sixers because Chris Webber, Allen Iverson, and Maurice Cheeks will have a whole season to gel together as NJN was unable, or didn't want to, get Shareff Abdur-Rahim. But having Carter, Kidd, and Jefferson is a pretter good threesome so it will be interesting to see.

With my main boy Ron Artest back, and hopefully under control, the Pacers are once again the best team in the East. Not record wise, but won't matter in the playoffs. Also if Jermaine O'Neal, Jamaal Tinsley, and oh just about everyone else can still healthy, Indiana can match up and even beat Miami and Detroit.

Flip Saunders has A LOT of pressure on him in Detroit because except for Dale Davis, he has the same lineup as Larry Brown, he will probably be pressured to play Darko, and if he doesn't at least get to the Finals, he'll be considered a failure and be screwed with Joe Dumars and the rest of the Pistons management.

Miami has a lot of firepower, but that's the same reason why the wouldn't win. Miami has Shaq, Dwyane, Antoine Walker, Jason Williams, James Posey, and Gary Payton (comin' off the bench) and that's way too many personalities and too much drama for someone like Stan Van Gundy to give the helm off control to for 82 games and around seven months. Much love to SVG, but if it were Pat 'Showtime' Riley coaching the team, then would probably not have as much concern.
I mean, look waht happened to the 2004 Mavericks and Lakers. That's proof enough for me.

Sorry for ranting on like this, but I'll do the Mild, Mild West next post.
Peace.
The Fallen Phoenix 09-25-2005 09:30 PM
MLB playoff system is pretty simple. There are three divisions (East, Central, West) across two Leagues (American and National). Up until roughly twenty years ago, the two Leagues were actually run independently, but they are now under the combined control of one Commissioner.

Anyhow, the team with the best record in each division goes to the playoffs. So in both leagues there will be an East, West, and Central champion.

Then, among all the other teams in the league, the one with the best record wins the wild card. Technically speaking, a wild card team can have a better record than other division leaders--as was the case in 2001, for example, when the Oakland A's (who won the Wild Card) had the second best record in baseball behind the Seattle Mariners.

Seeding is determined by record--precedence going to division leaders. Even if a wild card team has the second-best record in the league, it will be treated as the fourth seed. Home field advantage goes to the higher seed--so in a five game series, the first two games are played at the home stadium of the higher seed, the second two the home stadium of the lower seed, and the final game back at the home stadium of the higher seed. In a seven game series, the breakdown is 2-3-2.

In the NLDS and the ALDS (Division Series), the first seed (best record in the league) matches up with the last seed (Wild Card) unless they are from the same division. In that scenario, the first seed plays the third seed (worst record among division leaders), and the second seed (second best record among division leaders) plays the wild card.

In either scenario, the wild card team does not get home field advantage.
Nine Kuze 09-28-2005 02:19 PM
Thanks, Forum Phantom. That really helped clear things up for me. The Angels and Braves have already clinched their divisions along with St. Louis. But things are still a little bit messy in the American League.

MLB Standings (EVA!!!!)

Anything else in any other sports?
Nine Kuze 09-30-2005 02:06 PM
More NBA...

Western Conference:
1. San Antonio
2. Phoenix
3. Minnesota
4. Dallas
5. Houston
6. Sacramento
7. Seattle
8. LA Lakers

1. San Antonio (4) vs. 8. LA Lakers (0)
4. Dallas (3) vs. 5. Houston (4)
3. Minnesota (4) vs. 6. Sacramento (2)
2. Phoenix (4) vs. 7. Seattle (2)

1. San Antonio (4) vs. 5. Houston (1)
2. Phoenix (4) vs. 3. Minnesota (1)

1. San Antonio (4) vs. 2. Phoenix (2)
2006 Western Conference Champions: San Antonio Spurs

No one is going to touch San Antonio this year. PERIOD.

I had LA reach the playoffs and beat Denver, Golden St., and Memphis because Philly's back. Sure Kobe and Phil don't like each other but they've shown that they can win. But this team still has a lot of problems (Kwame Brown) but I think Kobe and Phil can get them to the playoffs... to be mauled by San Antonio.

With Cassell and Sprewell gone, Minnesota's back in the playoffs. But there aren't anywhere near there 2004 heyday. Phoenix is still good but wouldn't be as good as they were last year without Richardson and Johnson but in the weak Pacific Division, they win the crown no problem and should get to the Conference Finals again. Amare Stoudemire is AMAZING. Period.

Golden St. isn't there yet but, hell who knows maybe next year, the Warriors will end there 1,000 year playoff drought. Baron Davis is making it happen in Oakland. I have a rematch with Dallas and Houston in the first round and this time, my favorite team wins in seven. Houston has improved big time with Stromile Swift and Derek Anderson and having Tracy, Yao, and the other 500 guards together for a full season. Besides, Dirk is looking like he's losing it. The Rockets and Suns shut him down last year's playoffs and the Mavericks seem weaker this upcoming year then they have in years.
Also, one last thing from the NBA. 2006 MVP: Jermaine O'Neal!!!!

Peace.
088nd 09-30-2005 04:56 PM
quote:
I have a rematch with Dallas and Houston in the first round and this time, my favorite team wins in seven. Houston has improved big time with Stromile Swift and Derek Anderson and having Tracy, Yao, and the other 500 guards together for a full season. Besides, Dirk is looking like he's losing it. The Rockets and Suns shut him down last year's playoffs and the Mavericks seem weaker this upcoming year then they have in years.

I dunno, it doesn't seem to me like Dirk is losing it. He still got a majority of the Mavs's points in the play-offs last year. Phoenix shut the entire team down, a lot of their game was focused around keeping him from getting shots on the basket. I do think Dallas is probably going to be a weaker team this year, but I don't think that it's going to be so bad to lose to Houston. Who knows? That's just what I think.
Sir Nise 10-03-2005 09:44 AM
Har Har! Yesterday, Falcons.....beat.....vikings like they stole somethin'. 30 to 10 was the score.
And OMG to the max, Dante Culpepper got sacked 9 times. Our defense is L33t right now!11! Except, Michael Vick got injured. Sadness.

That shows you crazy minnesota fans and that you guys are not as good without randy moss.
Nine Kuze 10-03-2005 12:26 PM
Baseball Fans... Start Your Engines!

The Playoffs Are Here!
Gummibear 10-03-2005 12:45 PM
I have a feeling my beloved Patriots won't make it to the Superbowl this year. Frown I'm sort of peeved that the Chargers beat us at our home field ( what a bummer) But I'll keep rooting because I love them so! ^.^
Nine Kuze 10-03-2005 01:39 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Gummibear
I have a feeling my beloved Patriots won't make it to the Superbowl this year. Frown I'm sort of peeved that the Chargers beat us at our home field ( what a bummer) But I'll keep rooting because I love them so! ^.^

I kind of that same feeling to, Gummibear, but I think the Patriots are still the favorites to not only get back to Super Bowl but to win again.

Yeah, the Chargers told the Patriots what was really up. What was it like 41 to 17. DAMN! Who saw that coming?

Anyway, former Wizard now Laker Kwame Brown had this to say about his former teammate Gilbert Arenas about why he really faked a sickness during the NBA Playoffs. This whole thing just solidifies this fact that Kwame Brown is a complete punk.

Peace.
Nine Kuze 10-05-2005 12:37 PM
The MLB Playoffs started yesterday and the defending champions got ripped a new one by the Chi-Town White Sox. 2 to 14. Shocked Boston pulled off a record for worst loss by a defending champion in the first game of an opening series. Anyway, the Yankees defeated the Angels, the Cardinals defeated the Padres, and the Braves and Astros play tonight. Anyboby got any predications?

Also, hockey calls it a comeback tonight as the 2005-2006 NHL season starts today. More scoring, more offense, more breakaways, and no more ties! Sounds pretty damn interesting! Check out was ESPN has on the NHL here. And if anybody has to say about the hockey league (and there new logo Big Grin !) then give a holla and put down your two cents.

One last thing, the NBA is trying to put in a dress code where the players have to where suits everywhere and guys like Allen Iverson and Josh Childress aren't feeling that.

Peace.
088nd 10-08-2005 04:13 PM
How bout that Texas v OU game. 45-12 Texas.

Pleased

Actually it was a pretty sloppy game on both sides
Wingnut 10-08-2005 11:34 PM
We lost the little brown jug. Crying Crying Crying Crying