FMA Returns! Episode 27 Discussion: "Teacher"

Shredder 09-17-2005 10:17 PM
FMA finally returns with episodes that haven't been seen yet on CN. If you remember (and hopefully everyone got a chance to catch up on FMA), Ed and Al were about to be reunited, much to their surprise, with a woman they call "teacher." Find out who she is at 11:00 central! Enjoy!
evanASF27 09-17-2005 10:33 PM
w00000tness!! Big Grin
*goes to set VCR*

I've been waiting for the new eps for a while ^__^ ...can't wait to see what happens next.
Sephiroth 09-17-2005 11:32 PM
Man, It's good to have FMA back. Even though I had already seen this episode (it comes with the second video game), it was still awesome. It lacked much action, which is rather unfortunate, however, the introduction of Izumi made up for that. Izumi is undoubtedly one of my favorite characters, and she only gets better as it goes on. This episode had a lot of references to birth and death, and the philosophies that go along with that. It was interesting to pick up on the ideas that Ed and Al had gone against when they tried to bring their mother back. Also, for those who have not played the game,
spoiler (highlight to read):
the kingdom that Al mentions, the one destroyed by the Philosopher's Stone, is the setting for a great deal of the game.

All in all, a great episode to kick off the new episodes (though the introduction was a bit confusing having not seen the episode before it in a long while). I'm really, really glad to have FMA back.
Wingnut 09-18-2005 10:11 AM
Dang, now that is one woman you do NOT want to piss off. She goes from kind to bitch in less time than it takes Ed to get angry at a short joke.
Alhtough the last scene was somewhat unexpected. She found out what they tried to do with their mother, promtly kicked their asses for it, then knelt down and hugged them both. It really makes me wonder who she might have lost that makes her the way she is.
Also who is that big, bodyguard-like guy that follows her around?
Sephiroth 09-18-2005 10:15 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Wingnut
Dang, now that is one woman you do NOT want to piss off. She goes from kind to bitch in less time than it takes Ed to get angry at a short joke.
Alhtough the last scene was somewhat unexpected. She found out what they tried to do with their mother, promtly kicked their asses for it, then knelt down and hugged them both. It really makes me wonder who she might have lost that makes her the way she is.
Also who is that big, bodyguard-like guy that follows her around?

The big guy is her husband/bodygaurd, though she is entirely capable of protecting herself.
Volt 09-18-2005 12:56 PM
Awesome. I loved the part when Al first tells Izumi that he's Al and sort of waddles away from her, and the part where she coughs up blood after using alchemy. XD
Interesting last scene. She must have tried to transmute somebody back to life, since she can use alchemy without a circle. I have a feeling it was
her child, since that Mason guy tried to change the subject when Winry asked if she had kids.
I also noticed she has the same tattoo on her collar bone that Al has on his shoulder. Maybe that's common, but I don't really pay too much attention to detail. XD
Wingnut 09-18-2005 01:02 PM
quote:
Originally posted by VoltI also noticed she has the same tattoo on her collar bone that Al has on his shoulder. Maybe that's common, but I don't really pay too much attention to detail. XD
I think it is a sign of hers that the Elrics adopted as their own after training under her. Much like how the DBZ fighters that trained under Roshi all wore his symbol on their gis.
X Prime 09-18-2005 01:23 PM
Just so I'm not getting the wrong impression, is El Gigante (Sig was his name, no?) supposed to be Izumi's husband?

Izumi ages ridiculously well... I can't even see an age difference from young and old.

It's funny how Izumi and Sig look like they could take any homunculus we'e seen so far by themselves. Sig is bigger than Al for crying out loud.
dominusofdeath 09-18-2005 02:13 PM
quote:
Originally posted by X Prime
Just so I'm not getting the wrong impression, is El Gigante (Sig was his name, no?) supposed to be Izumi's husband?

Izumi ages ridiculously well... I can't even see an age difference from young and old.

It's funny how Izumi and Sig look like they could take any homunculus we'e seen so far by themselves. Sig is bigger than Al for crying out loud.

He's bigger than Armstrong. And yes that is her husband.
seraphjei 09-18-2005 06:10 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Volt
Awesome. I loved the part when Al first tells Izumi that he's Al and sort of waddles away from her, and the part where she coughs up blood after using alchemy. XD
Interesting last scene. She must have tried to transmute somebody back to life, since she can use alchemy without a circle. I have a feeling it was
her child, since that Mason guy tried to change the subject when Winry asked if she had kids.
I also noticed she has the same tattoo on her collar bone that Al has on his shoulder. Maybe that's common, but I don't really pay too much attention to detail. XD

exact-o-freaking-mundo, thats exactly what happens and you'll be shocked later to find out that her "kid" later goes on to be yet another addition to the homonculus team, although he isnt a homonculus right away after envy gives wrath Izumi's "son" the necessary "material" for being a homonculus. Also you'll discover wrath will be able to use alchemy UNLIKE the rest of the homunculi because of ed's special "donation".Ii hope I didnt spoil it too much but Volt got it dead on. Oh and Greed will finally be more less the main baddie for a while, which is freaking cool.
Kairi 09-18-2005 07:01 PM
I hope Izumi gets beaten to a pulp sometime later in the series.

I hate characters like her.
dominusofdeath 09-18-2005 07:06 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Kairi
I hope Izumi gets beaten to a pulp sometime later in the series.

I hate characters like her.

Unfortuneatley, All she does is haul ass.
Gato Gurl914 09-18-2005 09:28 PM
i know its weird, but i laughed when after she saved resembool, and they were thanking her and she was all "no prob!" then went Bleck! and spit out blood. (i guess it was her expression)
Zopwx2 09-19-2005 03:00 AM
I was kind of rusty on my FMA so it took a little bit to get back into it, but it was an ok episode, I guess SOMEONE had to have taught them alchemy, becuase I was wondering if the teacher character was really necesarry.

One thing that bothers me is that most people really don't seem to think a giant metal suit is that odd, especially with the childs voice and that fact taht the person within never takes it off.
AlexRosewater 09-19-2005 07:28 PM
It's a unique episode really since I liked the idea of showing there teachers where they learned Alchemy from. but I did not like how Izumi beat's Al and Ed it made them seem weak even though they really deserved it.
Gato Gurl914 09-20-2005 12:59 PM
i knew the beating was coming i just couldn't figure out when.
NVWC2006 09-20-2005 10:31 PM
i haven't seen beyond these episodes but i've read a number of spoilers.

i'm not sure, but i think it was around the tme that Izumi saved the city that she had gotten her new transfiguration power... she coughed up blood, and doesn't she lose her reproductive organs same as how Ed lost his leg and Al his body? it could have been blood from that..

she does age well. she's still really good looking.

also, because they restarted FMA not long ago for weeknights, i got to see the starting episodes that i didn't see before.

"You tried what was forbidden and were taken to the other side!"

"you saw it, then, didn't you?" those are close to the quotes refering to this 'other side'... i've read on what it is, but so far the show doesn't explain much...it just looked like Ed saw some freaky scorpion thing...
Madrona 09-21-2005 12:14 PM
It's not my favorite episode, but I do like it. I really like Izumi. She's probably the only character I'd be able to cosplay. She appears, at first, to be kind of cold and mean, but she really has a heart. If she didn't, why would all those kids come to her to fix things?
Obviously, she is tough enough that Ed and Al are completely frightened of her. Of course, part of that is because they know she's going to kick their behinds when she finds out what they did.

You get to know what kind of person she really is in the upcoming episodes.