'Memoirs of a Geisha'/'Sayuri'

Dork 09-17-2005 01:46 PM
A trailer for 'Memoirs of a Geisha' is up on the Japanese site.

'Memoirs of a Geisha' is the film version of Arthur Golden's book of the same name which in term got most of it's research from Mineko Iwasaki (the top Geisha of her time) who has also written a book, her memoirs, partially out of disgust for Golden's work entitled 'Geisha, A Life'.

It's funny, I've read both books but I'm not very apprehensive about this movie. As long as it's faithful to the Geisha profession and those who work it I don't care if the movie is a musical parody of the book.

Anywho, the movie looks beautiful. Japan is a lovely place if nothing else the movie will be some nice eye candy.

muchlove
-Dork
Mr. Peabody 09-17-2005 05:06 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Dork
A trailer for 'Memoirs of a Geisha' is up on the Japanese site.

'Memoirs of a Geisha' is the film version of Arthur Golden's book of the same name which in term got most of it's research from Mineko Iwasaki (the top Geisha of her time) who has also written a book, her memoirs, partially out of disgust for Golden's work entitled 'Geisha, A Life'.
-Dork

Yes, I've heard that Golden took some liberties with Iwasaki's story and she was made a pariah because of it.

It just goes to prove that if you have a story to tell, write it yourself.
angelcakes 11-25-2005 08:57 PM
I'm extremely excited about this movie. I just purchased the soundtrack and the music is absolutely beautiful. I was scanning the web for some pictures to use for my signature and I stumbled across the Sony website.

Sony site

I really can't wait till this movie! Big Grin
Mugiwara Luffy 11-25-2005 09:40 PM
I've seen the trailer for this movie three times and it always gives me chills. I think this movie is going to be amazing and I definitely plan to see it.
Dork 11-27-2005 11:04 PM
I went on a nightmare of a daytrip saturday and brought the book with me. When I first read it I would only take breaks when my mind got too blury to understand what was going on anymore. And it's still an addictive read.

I have doubts about this movie. The pan asian cast is just the beginning of those doubts. It looks like the producers, whoever they are, are presenting a pop version of Golden's novel along the lines of 'Moulin Rouge!'. If the movie is obviously pop-inspired that could be a good thing if they treat it as a historical account it will be a very uncomfortable ordeal indeed. And I'm extremely disappointed that they seem to be forgoing the stark white make-up that is the geisha profession's trade mark. It just feels like it's unnessesarily taking a lot of the fun and mistique out of the geisha.

The more I think about it the more I hope this movie is going to be obviously pop inspired. That 'Moulin Rouge' didn't take it's history too seriously made it a lot of fun.

muchlove
-Dork
David Ryder 11-30-2005 02:20 AM
I took a look at a trailer for it....looks rather average. It's so athentic to...chinese and koreans's playing japanese people and one token american too.