Metal Gear Solid 4 screens

Patsai 09-15-2005 11:58 PM
NOTE: This is actual footage of MGS4 running off of the PS3 grahic engine. This is not a tech demo. I repeat, this is NOT a tech demo.

Now for my opinions. Graphics are unbelievable. Now my question is...is that old man Solid Snake or Big Boss!?
Sharpshooter005 09-16-2005 02:07 AM
quote:
Solid Snake or Big Boss!?

I'd say Snake

1. It looks like the main character, and to play as big boss in two games IN A ROW would be..kind of pointless.

2. Eyepatch is on the wrong side. In fact as I said on another forum, I don't think thats an eyepatch at all, but an interface of some type, because notice he's got something on his suit plugged into a camera.

3. Big Boss (in MGS3 anyway) smoked cigars. The guy in this is smoking cigarettes..which is a trademark of solid snake in the games, so..yeah.

One bit of counterevidence though, is he's clearly holding a knife. And as we remember from MGS2, Snake dosen't like blades.

I love how this will be for a console..and so I don't have to say "gee I hope my pc can run it!"

I want this game now...I'm willing to do terrible, unspeakable things to the enemies of whoever can get me a copy immidiately, if thats how the deal is gonna go.
DJX Prime 09-16-2005 07:36 AM
If it's Snake, I hope they change his look so that he has either the full beard or clean-shaven. The mustache isn't doing anything for me.

Call me crazy, but it doesn't seem to look like Snake or Big Boss to me. Something about the eyes...at first glance, I thought he looked a little bit like Revolver Ocelot. I'll have to wait and see.
David Ryder 09-16-2005 07:58 AM
wow I knew the next gen system's where going to be powerful but wow, simply amazing.
088nd 09-16-2005 08:55 AM
Looks amazing.
X Prime 09-16-2005 10:38 AM
It is Snake. The eyepatch is part of Snake One, an electronic monitoring system.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/651/651347p1.html

As for Otacon... I have to go "eh'? He doesn;t look at all Asian...
Lupin IV 09-16-2005 01:10 PM
Looks amazing. Especially Otacon. Game developers are finally using detailed textures for skins like hl2.

And i take it this game is set in the future? Tongue
Xel 09-16-2005 03:40 PM
I think it's Snake as well. As for the moustache, no matter who it is, it's GOTTA go away. He looks like Stan Lee.

Otacon makes a bleeding adorable middle-aged man. I heart me some Otacon gooooood.
Sharpshooter005 09-16-2005 03:41 PM
quote:
at first glance, I thought he looked a little bit like Revolver Ocelot. I'll have to wait and see.

While I highly doubt this theory, at one point in the trailer he does give himself an injection similar to what Ocelot did in MGS2...Which...is odd.

quote:
He doesn;t look at all Asian...

...Since when was Otacon Asian? "Emmrich" isn't exactly an Asian sounding surname.

quote:
And i take it this game is set in the future?

MGS2 was set in 2007 (the tanker chapter) and 2009 (the big shell). In the trailer it says "X years since big shell", assuming they're using X the roman numeral and not just X as a blank or something, it would be set in 2019. Part of it at least.
X Prime 09-16-2005 03:43 PM
...Odd. I vaguely recall Otacon saying he was born on Hiroshima on the day of THE BOMB.

And Snake gives himself the injection to boost his own performance.
Xel 09-16-2005 03:48 PM
quote:
Originally posted by X Prime
...Odd. I vaguely recall Otacon saying he was born on Hiroshima on the day of THE BOMB.

His father was. But his father was born ON the day of the Hiroshima bomb. Not IN Hiroshima on the day of the bomb.
Sharpshooter005 09-16-2005 03:49 PM
quote:
I vaguely recall Otacon saying he was born on Hiroshima on the day of THE BOMB.

His grandfather worked on the manhattan project, and in MGS1 he says his father was born on the day of the Hiroshima bombing. Not in Hiroshima though.

quote:
Snake gives himself the injection to boost his own performance.

Maybe it's a countermeasure to FOXDIE? Or was he just a carrier for it..or...yeah I can't remember how the hell that whole part of the plot goes.

edit: Also I wonder how many "revolutionary" gameplay features we'll hear about that will wind up being cut out totally or reduced in scope (the survival viewer in mgs3 was supposedly going to be more important than it was)
Lupin IV 09-16-2005 09:13 PM
After watching the trailer, I can say that is game is probably going to be on of the most amazing games ever.

Probably.

There's only one little tiny doubt in my mind. That being, what Hideo shows in movies, and cutscenes is totally different from what usually happens in the games. I just hope the gameplay and most importantly, the ai, is just as revolutionary as the graphics. (and i'm sure it will be!)

BTW Is it just me, or does Otacon still look rather young, compared to Snake? Confused
Raven 09-16-2005 11:53 PM
I believe that something in Snake's Genes makes him age faster than other humans do. I forget where they mention that though.

Graphics looks amazing. Brings back memorites of when I first saw screens for the RE Remake on the Gamecube.
seraphjei 09-16-2005 11:54 PM
MGS4 is shaping up to be one helluva a game. From the looks of the screen my mouth is just hanging open at those graphics, boy oh boy is that hot. Also note that small little robot is called the SKII or something on those lines, it was originally used in an old hideo game (was it slayers?) I've heard some rumors about that little guy would serve snake a bit of help. If thats the case i see some amazing openings for the little guy in gameplay mechanics. For instance sending the guy with a c4 into a room (or wherever) planting then getting the hell outta there so you can detonate it, and this can all be done without snake having to give up his position. As for the bigger mechs they seem to be some sort of combinations of Rex, and Ray. However the mechs look for more closer to Rex than metal gear ray, afterall meteal gear ray isnt really a metal gear since it cant fire nuclear weapons, but thats beside the point. I'm also wondering if metal gear ganther will be making a apperance in MGS4, if any of you has played metal gear acid you would all know that ganther(or is it Gander?) is the metal gear card that you get that can fire up to five missles. I have a reason to believe that metal gear will show up sooner or later. Now on to more pressing matters. The title i believe has been announced as Metal Gear Solid 4: The Gun of the Patriots. Hmmmmmmmm. So wahts the title of this game mean? No clue. Also im interested to see what importance Arsenal gear has in this game if at any. Now heres some cool info most of you know about but for those who dont allow me to enlighten you. well kust kidding but im going to tell you anyway. It seems Vamp, yes that blood-sucking dude is still kicking, as well as Meryl from MGS1, Ocelot, and Big boss, will all be making appearances. Now on the big boss topic if you dont believe me look at the screen.

yes its an old screen but look at the skinny ass old guy on the right. Also the Young lady on the far right seems to be naomi you know...Foxdie virus? ring any bells? anyways she might make a comeback as well, and raiden, hmmmmm i still think his place in the Metal Gear Solid storyline is vital. Mostly because i have the strangest feeling snake will die. Maybe we'll see something of an apprenticeship between snake and raiden. Will this story end similar to how the boss ended up dieing at the hands of Big boss at the end of metal gear solid 3. will snake make the ultimate sacrafice for his country. doubtful, as his personality isnt really like that. Snake fights for what he believes in and that doesnt tie into The boss's psyche. Now im thinking a squad sneaking system between snake and raiden might make for some pretty crazy gameplay but who knows. Im dumb anyway
Gummibear 09-17-2005 09:49 AM
Shocked OH SNAP! Those screens are gorgeous! I cannot wait to play this game...it's diffenately going to be an experiance from what I can tell. I wonder if this will be the last because everyone seems to be making an appearance.
Sharpshooter005 09-17-2005 03:21 PM
quote:
I forget where they mention that though.

I think it's implied in MGS2. It would explain why liquid says "you're drowning in time" and makes a big point of big boss being in his 50s or so when they made the clones.

quote:
you would all know that ganther(or is it Gander?

Gander already was in one of the games (metal gear solid: ghost babel). It was like mgs1 except..instead of REX it was gander. I didn't play that one but thats my understanding anyway.

quote:
So wahts the title of this game mean?

The patriots survive partially through using warfare. So...maybe "guns of the patriots" is some other way of talking about the partially explained war that mgs4 supposedly takes place during.

quote:
originally used in an old hideo game (was it slayers

Snatcher. I think...I've never played it, but thats what I hear.

MGS2 was, I think, supposed to have a few references to that game.

quote:
Snake fights for what he believes in and that doesnt tie into The boss's psyche

It fits in exactly.

Big Boss created Outer Heaven because he believed mercenaries/professional soldiers such as himself were being used and ignored by the nations they gave everything in service to. Outer Heaven was going to be a nation built by a soldier, for soldiers.

Snake, on the other hand, is seeming to do the exact opposite. Trying to create a world without continuous warfare, plots upon plots, and the constant threat of metal gears.
AndroidZeroX 09-17-2005 04:45 PM
This game looks awesome! Im assuming that thats Snake, and will reveal more about the past of MGS. I liked how they did the past thing with Snake eater, and since they went a little into the future (or so it would seem) then im sure this will be an awesome game.
seraphjei 09-18-2005 06:22 PM
quote:
It fits in exactly.

Big Boss created Outer Heaven because he believed mercenaries/professional soldiers such as himself were being used and ignored by the nations they gave everything in service to. Outer Heaven was going to be a nation built by a soldier, for soldiers.

Snake, on the other hand, is seeming to do the exact opposite. Trying to create a world without continuous warfare, plots upon plots, and the constant threat of metal gears.

I meant THE boss, the MGS3 final boss aka snakes tranier/master. But even so I understand where your comming from and it indeed actually does tie in. also it'll be intresting if we see more references to Gray Fox, the guy who later helped Big Boos out on zanzibar island remaking outer heaven and all that jazz. Gray Fox and Snake had quite a relationship and i kinda wanna see hideo pull out some kind of crazy twist last second and plug gray into the story somehow. Cloning? It probably would serve the story any purpose but oh well at least he'll make a comeback. And dont you guys just get the weirdest feeling snake is going to die? One way or another...
Generalissimo D 09-18-2005 06:36 PM
Nice graphics. I might actually sit down with the boomerang to play this. I've only played MSG2(3 maybe..) briefly, but I like the stealth and the overall aspect of it. If someone drops a PS3 on my front door with no catch, I'm getting this.

quote:
Originally posted by Raven
I believe that something in Snake's Genes makes him age faster than other humans do. I forget where they mention that though.

Age is locked in your DNA. So if they you make a clone using your DNA, its DNA will be aged as far as you yourself are. So that could explain it...assuming they use that as a scientific explanation.