:: The Academy Animated Awards :: (The Nines - The Hustla Within the Shell...)

R.Smith 11-25-2006 01:50 AM
Evening ladies and gentlemen. R.Smith here presenting the awards for Best Animated Direction and Best Cinematography. Let's get to it shall we?

Nominees for Best Animated Direction:
  • AIR
  • Fullmetal Alchemist
  • Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG
  • Samurai Champloo

And the winner is:
spoiler (highlight to read):
Samurai Champloo

Nominees for Best Cinematography:
  • Cowboy Bebop
  • Fullmetal Alchemist
  • Princess Mononoke

And the winner is:
Cowboy Bebop
Generalissimo D 11-25-2006 04:25 PM
Harum. Browser twitched.

Nominees for the Best Editing are:
  • Big O
  • Samurai Champloo
  • Trigun
  • FLCL

Granted, its not a vary varied list is it.

The Winner is:
Samurai Champloo.

I can't say I'm too displeased with that. Mighty fine show. Deserves it.

And now for something that really broke my heart...

Nominees for Best Villain are:

• Alan Gabriel (The Big O)
  • Kazundo Gouda (Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG)
  • Hideo Kuze (Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG) [My aren't we varied]
  • Legato Bluesummers (Trigun)

This isn't a list. This is a crime.

The Winner is:
Legato Bluesummers
, proving once again that, in Anime Fandom, it's always time for war.
minespatch 11-25-2006 10:54 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. D
And now for something that really broke my heart...

Nominees for Best Villain are:

• Alan Gabriel (The Big O)
  • Kazundo Gouda (Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG)
  • Hideo Kuze (Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG) [My aren't we varied]
  • Legato Bluesummers (Trigun)

This isn't a list. This is a crime.

The Winner is:
Legato Bluesummers
, proving once again that, in Anime Fandom, it's always time for war.

was it because alan gabriel didn't get picked?
Nine Kuze 11-26-2006 11:23 AM
I, er... Kuze was robbed. >_>

No, no. It's D weak attempt at a jab at me for looking like I was way too biased and in the favor of Ghost in the Shell.

You should have stopped me when you had the chance (to nominate others). Of all the presenters, I knew you'd be the token uppity rebellious one. Thank you, D.
Peace.
Generalissimo D 11-26-2006 11:52 AM
Then I guess its time for war my friend.
The Baker St. Irregular 11-26-2006 04:48 PM
Looks like it's my turn to be caught in the crossfire.

I am very, very proud to be the lucky gal to present the next categories, which concern my favoritest things about anime: the men.

And sweet mercy, do I love those!

For the category of Best Supporting Male Character, the nominees are, in alphabetical order:

Alphonse Elric (FullMetal Alchemist)
Batou (Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG)
Dan Dastun (The Big O)
Scar (FullMetal Alchemist)

The winner for Best Supporting Male Character is:
Batou!

Finally, the nominees for Best Male Character are:

Edward Elric (FullMetal Alchemist)
Jin (Samurai Champloo)
Mugen (Samurai Champloo)
Roger Smith (The Big O)

Who pwnz0rz the most?
Roger, of course.

Congratualtions to all our winners! Please allow me to buy you guys ice cream sometime!
Asirt 11-26-2006 05:59 PM
Good evening people! This is all your all-time favorite "Powerpuff AIRhead Z" guy, Asirt! I'm here to announce the next two categories of the AAA: The Women of Anime!

For many years, men have always been fascinated with the opposite sex. Anime is no exception, but enough of my ramblings, let's get it on!

For the category of Best Female Character, the nominees are:

Fuu ...from Samurai Champloo!
Haruko Harauaka ...from FLCL!
Misato Katsuragi ...from Neon Genesis Evangelion!
Motoko Kusanagi ...from Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG!

The people of Paradigm City Forums have spoken! The best female character is...

Motoko Kusanagi!

For the category of Best Supporting Female Character, the nominees are:

Asuka Langley Soryu ...from Neon Genesis Evangelion!
Faye Valentine ...from Cowboy Bebop!
Meryl Stryfe ...from Trigun!
Rei Ayanuami ...from Neon Genesis Evangelion!

The people of Paradigm City Forums have spoken! The best supporting female character is...

Faye Valentine!

Well, Krang, the next two categories are all yours!
Krang 11-28-2006 02:20 AM
Hey, this is Krang, and I will be announcing the winners for the Best Dramatic Series and Best Action Series.

Here are the nominees for Best Dramatic Series:
  • AIR
  • FLCL
  • Lupin the Third
And the winner is...
Ghost in the Shell:
Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG

And here are the nominees for Best Action Series:
  • FullMetal Alchemist
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion
  • Samurai Champloo
  • Trigun
And the award goes to...
FullMetal Alchemist

Next is Nine himself to wrap up the awards with the final two categories.
Nine Kuze 12-27-2006 04:02 PM
Sorry its been a while, I was trying to keep Hideki Anno away from the Best Director award. Also, I'm somethin' so lazy.

Anyway, the nominees for Best Director are:

Kenji Kamiyama - Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG
With a detailed and sensible creative eye, Kamiyama takes an incredible realistic journey through the country of Japan in the year of 2030 by focusing on terrorism, policies of immigration, and the foundation of war on society based off of false accusations showing the parallel issues of today and of that in the cyberkinetic world.

Kazuyoshi Katayama - The Big O
Taking the center stage on what memories mean to people and what is considered the truth in different viewpoints, Katayama expresses the mystery of the world that is Paradigm City and its citizens and its technology by leaving the exclusive framework of those elements to have the series answered but not necessarily, by himself.

Satoshi Nishimura - Trigun
On the setting of Planet Gunsmoke, Nishimura takes an expressive look at the power and trials of the human spirit with the journey of Vash the Stampede along with his comrades and enemies alike through the viewpoints and different ideas of the aspect of life particularly between of the value and expense of human life between brothers.

Shinichiro Watanabe - Samurai Champloo
With the simple devices of revenge, honor, and destiny at hand, Watanabe shows through an adventurous and subtle look not only the three main characters and those around them grow and be driven by a simple context to become something more but also the intriguing face, people, and culture of Japan as it was in the 19th century.

And the Nine goes to...
Kenji Kamiyama of Ghost in the Shell

Damn good, he's one of my favorite directors and he deserves it. Heh.

Before I get to the main event of the AAA's with Best Series, I just want to personally thank Krang, Green_Bird, Mistress-Samwise, R.Smith, Mike, Ace, D, Zo-Pa, Buck Buck, Asirt, Fujiko and Luffy first and foremost for helping me present the awards for this year's event. It really means a lot to me, so thank you. And thanks to those who voted and participated as well.

The nominees for Best Series are:

:: Cowboy Bebop ::

:: FullMetal Alchemist ::

:: Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG ::

:: Trigun ::

See ya Space Cowboy because the Nine goes to...
Cowboy Bebop

Thank you again everybody, and we'll get this crackin' again next year. We... have come to terms.
Peace.
Nine Kuze 01-30-2007 07:08 PM
quote:
Recap of the Second Annual Academy Animated Awards
The Paradigm-City.com forums gave host to the second annual Academy Animated Awards ceremony, where the big winner was Cowboy Bebop which won the top prize after losing out to The Big O last year.

The AAA’s, or the Nines, had many of the same nominees as last year including last year’s 11 award-winning mecha series The Big O, but featured new additions as well. One of the most notable were the presenters of the awards. This year featured some of the most well known members of PCF to present the 23 awards of the Nines. The presenters in order of presentation were Zopwx2, Green_Bird, Mugiwara Luffy, Buck Buck #1, Fujiko, Ace of Spades, Mike, R.Smith, Mr. D, Mistress-Samwise, Asirt, Krang and Nine XXVI. Another new feature to the Nines was the introduction to the 23rd category, Best Motion Picture.

The character categories, dominated by The Big O and Cowboy Bebop last year, showed a bit more variety this time around. With the exception of the Best Female Character, every category had two nominees from the same animated series. After falling to Bebop’s Spike Spiegel, Big O’s Roger Smith was able to capture the Best Male Character award from Edward Elric (two-time nominee from FullMetal Alchemist) and Jin and Mugen from Samurai Champloo. Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG had a high of four nominees in the character categories with Motoko Kusanagi winning the Best Female Character award after losing to R.Dorothy Wayneright last year. Ghost in the Shell’s Batou and Cowboy Bebop’s Faye Valentine took the honors of Best Supporting Male and Female Characters respectively as Trigun’s Legato Bluesummers took the Best Villain Character award earning Trigun’s only award of the event.

In the Directorial category, Ghost in the Shell director Kenji Kamiyama beat out last year’s winner Shinichiro Watanabe who was nominated for his Japanese samurai piece Samurai Champloo, two-time nominee Kazuyoshi Katayama (Big O) and Satoshi Nishimura nominated for Trigun.

Last year Cowboy Bebop was nominated for 15 awards, winning eight of the awards. This time around, Bebop was nominated for seven awards and was the winner of all seven including the top prize of Best Series. Ghost in the Shell holding the most nominations with 15 won six awards, FullMetal Alchemist with 12 nominations won two win Best Action Series and sharing honors of Best Character Design with The Big O. Rounding out the rest the winners, Watanabe’s Champloo came away with three awards as last year’s grand winner The Big O came away with two awards. Certain anime series such as AIR, FLCL, and Neon Genesis Evangelion were nominated for many of the categories but failed to capture one award between them.

In the newest category of Best Motion Picture, Memoirs of a Geisha, Syriana and the Internet phenomenon Snakes on a Plane were nominated but the Johnny Cash biopic of Walk the Line took the award. Hayao Miyazaki’s Spirited Away took the honors of Best Animated Picture as well as Best Foreign Voice Acting. The manga Hellsing not only won the award for Best Manga but earned a second award for Best English Voice Acting as Nintendo’s Super Mario Bros. won Best Video Game.

Quick recap of who won what awards:
Best Series: Cowboy Bebop
Best Director: Kenji Kamiyama (Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG)
Best Action Series: FullMetal Alchemist
Best Dramatic Series: Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG
Best Male: Roger Smith (The Big O)
Best Female: Motoko Kusanagi (Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG)
Best Supporting Male: Batou (Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG)
Best Supporting Female: Faye Valentine (Cowboy Bebop)
Best Villian: Legato Bluesummers
Best Cinematography: Cowboy Bebop
Best Animated Direction: Samurai Champloo
Best Editing: Samurai Champloo
Best Screenplay: Cowboy Bebop
Best Storyline: Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG
Best Character Design: The Big O/FullMetal Alchemist
Best Visual Effects: Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG
Best English VA: Hellsing
Best Foreign VA: Spirited Away
Best Animated Picture: Spirited Away
Best Motion Picture: Walk the Line
Best Original Score Cowboy Bebop
Best Original Theme: “Blue” – Cowboy Bebop
Best Sound: Samurai Champloo

So yeah, that's what went down at last year's event if you were keeping score at home... or just didn't give at damn.

Also since the presenter thing went so well the first time, I'll be looking some of you fine members to see if you want to volunteer to present again (or if worse comes to worse, I could just bribe and blackmail some of you like I did last year). I got a lineup of candidates that are more away from the [adult swim] click than last year and this time around, all animated series are qualified to be nominated (halo thur, Venture Brothers) so just thought I'd fill you in on that.

Also instead of 13 presenters, I'm looking to get 12 this time around.

So from now and until November, if you got any candidates that you feel would be great nominees for the categories for this upcoming AAA's, then feel free to post them here in this thread.
Peace.
Nine Kuze 06-24-2007 03:48 AM
Yeah, its about that time of year again.

I want to have the voting up for the third annual AAA's by around late August, so I'm bugging the members of PCF for this again. If you have a series in mind that can be nominated for anyone of the 23 categories, then please post the series here and what categories it can be nominated for accordingly (if you have any comments or nominations for the Best Motion Picture or Best Video Game categories, please post them at their own threads in the Pool Hall and the Golden Maiyer).

If you are going to post some anime series and recommend them for nominations, here are some anime I already got down, just to save those the trouble and all:

- Basilisk
- Bleach
- Blood+
- Death Note
- Eureka Seven
- Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo
- Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - Solid State Society
- Gunslinger Girl
- The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
- Monster
- Noir
- Paranoia Agent
- Read or Die
- Rozen Maiden
- Trinity Blood
- The Venture Bros.

Some specific help though, if anyone could hook me up some recommended nominations for these specific anime, I'd really appreicate it;

quote:
Afro Samurai, Ah! My Goddess, Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad, Hellsing (the new OVA version I guess), The Prince of Tennis, The Soul Taker, Tekkaman Blade.

Also, if you need to know all the categories of the AAA's, all of them are listed on the first page of this thread. Thanks again, and I really appreicate the help from you guys.
Peace.