F.e.a.r.

Generalissimo D 09-10-2005 02:13 PM
The Official F.E.A.R. website

Ook...this is one creeeepy game. I just got through the demo after a good while of putting it off, and I must say it is superb.

Anyone else has thoughts on this?

I think our wonderful government should have it...assuming the BPRD was false...
Volt 09-10-2005 02:24 PM
I got the demo. Pretty sweet stuff going on. Awesome blood effects and weapons. My favorite weapon was the one that dissolves the target's skin upon contact. The slow-mo stuff is really sweet, and the melee combat is pretty cool too. One thing I didn't like about the demo was the structure in term of "scare moments": walking - shooting - walking - shooting - walking - scare moment (which usually isn't even scary... eh) - repeat. Also, the demo's length left a bit to be desired. But hey, it was free, right? This definitely looks like a sweet game and I'll be getting it when I get the chance. Now if S.T.A.L.K.E.R., the other big acronym game, could follow F.E.A.R. and release a demo already...
Oh and, I'm really hoping for some bladed melee weapons. Given the game's blood system, things could get pretty damn sweet.
Captain Maw 09-11-2005 08:32 AM
yeah. the ending was a total acid trip, or freaky hallucination trip.
good game. probably not gonna get it though.
Sharpshooter005 09-17-2005 05:38 PM
I've LONG thought the EPA should be phased out, and its entire infastructure and workforce be reworked into some form of top-level, secret agency that deals exclusively with preparing for the zombie apocalypse, or the invasion any sentient extraterrestrial life with faster than light travel would doubtlessly embark upon.

They could also hunt demons, I guess. Oh, oh. And we'd finally have an answer as to "who polices the robots" since Japan is so keen on ushering in that threat to mankind. I always assumed the department of energy would be the ones who had to exterminate rogue units.

I downloaded the demo..it's sitting on my desktop waiting to be installed, no idea if my laptop now can run it (it seemed to run hl2 just fine). Maybe when I'm a bit further on this paper I'll try it.

edit: No really though, Japan is really really racing to be the ones that have most of the blood on their hands once your maidbot decides the best way to prevent a mess is to attack the source...you. For more information on our darkest hour, go watch chibits. Which I'm fairly sure was supposed to be cautionary propaganda about a world gone mad, but the marketing department forced them to make it into some hackneyed comedy piece.
Ace of Spades 09-17-2005 06:24 PM
Well. I know what I'm doing on Halloween.
Generalissimo D 09-17-2005 11:42 PM
quote:
I've LONG thought the EPA should be phased out, and its entire infastructure and workforce be reworked into some form of top-level, secret agency that deals exclusively with preparing for the zombie apocalypse, or the invasion any sentient extraterrestrial life with faster than light travel would doubtlessly embark upon.

They could also hunt demons, I guess. Oh, oh. And we'd finally have an answer as to "who polices the robots" since Japan is so keen on ushering in that threat to mankind. I always assumed the department of energy would be the ones who had to exterminate rogue units.

Nah man. Keep the thing as is, just pin it to the underbelly and sow it with the psychatrict institutes. Once a kid starts seeing the supernatural(or ushering it in) he goes to the elevator and presses the hidden button. Figure it out from there. And for kicks get some of those buzzcut head kids who have been made anti-Japan by old war stories from their grandfathers.

quote:
Originally posted by Sharpshooter005
No really though, Japan is really really racing to be the ones that have most of the blood on their hands once your maidbot decides the best way to prevent a mess is to attack the source...you.

The Real Revolution:It kills you if you get a game over.

quote:
For more information on our darkest hour, go watch chibits.

was that [sic]? But if its chobits...I'm getting my Barret arm ASAP.
Sharpshooter005 09-17-2005 11:46 PM
quote:

Either one.

Get this though, Chibits is a fifteen minute short about the two REALLY TINY robots having some kind of token "zany adventure".

Now think about it. If the normal ones are freaky, picture one thats small enough to sneak into your room through an air vent at night, and climb down your throat. Before tearing up your lungs with it's tiny hands.

EDIT: To look upon this, is to know the face of true horror.

Generalissimo D 09-17-2005 11:50 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Sharpshooter005
quote:

Either one.

Get this though, Chibits is a fifteen minute short about the two REALLY TINY robots having some kind of token "zany adventure".

Now think about it. If the normal ones are freaky, picture one thats small enough to sneak into your room through an air vent at night, and climb down your throat. Before tearing up your lungs with it's tiny hands.

EDIT: To look upon this, is to know the face of true horror.

Shocked

Dude. Now I know why I've been wanting a gasmask. Its not just those superclones in the game.
Sharpshooter005 09-18-2005 04:05 AM
WOW. I just played the demo

It didn't run too well (then again, the demo did say to restart my system before playing, which I didn't..so..yeah, maybe that was it).

Usually the jump out of nowhere, giggling little girls stuff dosen't freak me out THAT much, but just the atmosphere and some of what happened
spoiler (highlight to read):
the shifting hallway, the guy appearing next to you, then disintigrating when you shoot him.
was really effective.

Worse..I went outside afterwords for a cigarette. It gets kind of misty outside in the morning..which kind of creeped me out a tiny bit. Then I turned and looked down at the parking lot, which has some of those timber cylinder things at the edges...it seemed like someone or something WALKED behind one out of the corner of my eye. The damn demo was freaking me out even after I finished it.

If this runs a bit better when I restart the computer, and maybe I'll have to set the thing to minimal isntead of low..but anyway. If it runs better..I'm definately buying this.