Movie Rental Thread (Netflix included)

Captain Maw 08-30-2005 04:49 AM
most ppl rent than buy. seeing how it's cheaper, and i usually only buy movies i like to rewatch or w/e.
ok, well, i've had Netflix for almost a year, and i've seen about a million movies. (i usually just check Rotton Tomatoes and the ones that get Fresh i watch. and i've seen a lot of good ones.
recently i've watched Starship Troopers, Nobody Knows (For.Film), and Unbreakable.
Ano Hito 09-03-2005 10:51 PM
I'm guilty of taping DVDs that I rent and like. I'm going to hell...
Mugiwara Luffy 09-04-2005 01:35 AM
Oh well, we used to copy the movies we liked back when there was only VHS. Nobody watched em though, so we quit that. Now the real way to go to hell is download movies off the internet...

We signed up for Netflix recently. So far the only movie I've seen from that is The Village and it really, really sucked. I think the next one on the list is I <3 Huckabees. I've seen it, but my sister hasn't, plus it's awesome.
Captain Maw 09-09-2005 05:47 AM
eh... downloading seemed to plug my computer up with crap. (__ware)
so, i'd rather just get the netflix and burn them on to my computer with that software you can get a free trial to use.
Sharpshooter005 09-09-2005 07:36 AM
quote:
i usually only buy movies i like to rewatch or w/e.

I usually buy them if they're

A) Cheap

B) I've seen and liked

C) A 7.99 3 disk set of...I guess semi-obscure film noir. That I wind up buying because "holy crap 8 dollars for 3 dvds"
Dork 09-10-2005 02:28 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Maw
eh... downloading seemed to plug my computer up with crap. (__ware)
so, i'd rather just get the netflix and burn them on to my computer with that software you can get a free trial to use.

DVD Shrink is pretty good software for that.

But I like to buy DVDs so that I can have the pretty box. That and DVDs are so cheap. A DVD packed to the gills with special features is 20 bucks at Best Buy and old DVDs and DVDs with little special features to speak of are drastically cheaper on top of that. I picked up 'What's Eating Gilbert Grape?' for $6.99 at Best Buy. I figure if they're giving them away that cheap I might as well give the Hollywood folks their due.

I'm sorta againist renting. To rent any DVD -new or old- at Blockbuster or Hollywood Video is $3.79 and if I like the movie I'm going to want to own it (because that's the kind of materialistic skank I am). So, what, I'm going to go down to Best Buy and shell out another 20 for the DVD? I've already shelled out $3.79 to see it once. I just can't justify in my mind so I just stay away from rentals.

But I'm still pretty cool with paying $6.50 three times to feed my 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory' addiction. That somehow doesn't cross the boundary of 'but I've already spent money on this' in my mind. It's probably because I love the theatre experience. I wish dollar theatres still existed in my area, I'd see two or three movies a week just to be in the theatre with all those people.

muchlove
-Dork
Captain Maw 09-11-2005 08:34 AM
oh, well exceptional movies, i buy.
unfortunately i have a million B rated movies on DVD but some good movies i only have on my computer.