Stryper!!!!!!!!!!!

NightRanger 08-25-2005 11:26 AM
Don't you even start by saying their cheesy, because they are in no way cheesy. Since when is being a Christian cheesy? Never, of course. Anyone that says Stryper stink are either satanists, or a bunch of punks. Is their something wrong with praising The Lord? I don't think so. Their song "Honestly" is one of the greatest love songs ever written. Other Stryper tunes I dig are:

Always There For You
To Hell With The Devil (Amen, Brother)
Soldiers Under Command (of GOD!!!!!)
In God We Trust

I can't wait to check out the new album "Reborn"!!!!!!
Mike 08-25-2005 11:41 AM
There's nothing wrong with being Christian.

But Heavy Metal is supossed to be evil. Stryper just looks (to me anyway) like one huge oxymoron.

...and besides, most metal music isn't REALLY evil, anyway. Most Iron Maiden songs are about books.
NightRanger 08-25-2005 11:50 AM
quote:
Originally posted by GAT-X105
But Heavy Metal is supossed to be evil.

That's not necessarily true.
Dude Love 08-26-2005 12:09 AM
Metal is typically considered to be a very dark rock. I wouldn't say evil, but it's not all cupcakes and daffodils, either.

While I do not wish to pass judgment on Stryper without ever hearing them (I doubt I will either, as metal never has been my cup of tea), I would like to state that the angle of this band (Christian music) seems antithetical to the entire genre of metal.

That's not to say that Christian music is in any way lame, uncool, or even "cheesy", but I just can't see the two mixing.
StevieV019 08-26-2005 07:56 AM
quote:
Don't you even start by saying their cheesy, because they are in no way cheesy. Since when is being a Christian cheesy? Never, of course. Anyone that says Stryper stink are either satanists, or a bunch of punks. Is their something wrong with praising The Lord? I don't think so. Their song "Honestly" is one of the greatest love songs ever written.


Umm...I may be wrong (well, actually, no Im not in this case)...but saying a band is cheesy has nothing to do with their religious beliefs. Just perhaps, their music may be unequivocally horrible. If thats the case, and the image they portray through their music is just as bad, then they can be categorically deemed as 'cheesy'. In which case, my friend, you would be in the wrong...for saying something isnt cheesy when, indeed, it is...

Being cheesy or deemed cheesy has nothing to do with being Christian, nor should that be the lone reason of deciding whether something is cheesy or not...

Furthermore, saying Stryper stinks doesnt categorize one as a satanist or a punk. That comes down to the person's personal beliefs on an individual basis. You are entitled to your opinion about praising the Lord, as we all are. At the same time, its up to each individual to decide whether that is wrong.

I have never heard of the band "Stryper" nor have I heard any of their music...so I cant offer an opinion on this band...

*waves the flag of Bleedthrough*

Moving on...
David Ryder 08-28-2005 03:00 PM
saying their cheesy is in no way a slam on christians in anyway. I'm christian and I don't think they are all that great, and calling someone a satanist or a punk simplely because they don't like them is a little much.
088nd 08-28-2005 03:23 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Gaddes
saying their cheesy is in no way a slam on christians in anyway. I'm christian and I don't think they are all that great, and calling someone a satanist or a punk simplely because they don't like them is a little much.


Same here. That's not very Christian anyways.

But I agree with GAT, that metal is supposed to be EVIL. It's at least supposed to sound dark, and I don't understand while a Christian band would want to sound angry/depressed/violent while praising the Lord.
NightRanger 08-31-2005 10:59 PM
quote:
Originally posted by 088nd
quote:
Originally posted by Gaddes
saying their cheesy is in no way a slam on christians in anyway. I'm christian and I don't think they are all that great, and calling someone a satanist or a punk simplely because they don't like them is a little much.


Same here. That's not very Christian anyways.

But I agree with GAT, that metal is supposed to be EVIL. It's at least supposed to sound dark, and I don't understand while a Christian band would want to sound angry/depressed/violent while praising the Lord.

Geez, you know, ever since Tipper Gore formed the PMRC back in '85, people have been getting the thought that all metal needs to be dark and evil, and that's not true. Metal can be peaceful, it can be soulful, it DOESN'T have to be evil or dark.
Travis Bickle 09-01-2005 08:08 PM
When someone text messages me at work about something as stupid as this, I have no choice but to respond.

You've apparently never heard of any Norwegian bands, sir NightRanger. Like the Black Metal band Mayhem. Nice bunch of guys they were. They pretty much started Black Metal back in 83.

Anyway, these guys were what metal was and probobly always should be. The lead singer, who called himself Dead, was obsessed with Satan, violence, etc.

Anyway, Dead later kiled himself with a shotgun blast to the head, with the help (sort of) of some other person involved in the Black Metal scene. His suicide note read the following:

"Please excuse all the blood" (or something of the sort).

Anyway, the guitarist found all of this in the back of the band's home. Instead of calling friends and family about the recent death of the lead singer, he thought it was so cool that he ran to the nearest store to buy a one time use camera and took a picture of the dead lead singer, which was later used as an album cover. Rumors have it that the brain and bones of Dead were eaten and made into necklaces, but nobody knows if that's really true.

Anyway, time went on and the band kept playing. However, the same guitarist was in debt to some guy named Varg Vikernes. Vikernes stabbed the guitarist to death based on this (or as some speculate, because he was more evil than him, but who knows?). Not only did he stab him to death, but he stabbed him to death with a super swet Viking knife over 20 times in various places.

Anyway, at the same time, while this was all going on, Euronymous (the guitarist that was stabbed and took the sweet picture) ran this thing out of a record store he owned where he and a bunch of buddies went around and burned down churches and the like. If you're sitting there and asking yourself "why?", then you haven't paid much attention to this post, because it's apparent that these guys are f***ing evil and don't really like God. Also, at this time, Black Metal bands and thier fans were terrorizing what they thought to be as lesser evil Black Metal bands.

So yeah. This is what metal was. This is what metal should be. Pure evil.

If there is a mention of religion in anything of or pertaining to metal, then it's usually anti-God or satanic imagery. Anything else just isn't metal. If metal is peaceful, then it becomes just plain (pansy/emo) rock.

As a side note, you totally contradicted yourself when you took your lord's name in vain. You might want to fix that. Yeah...

And, for the record, I'm no satanist or one who speaks out against other's beliefs. I just don't believe or practice anything, and I think that people should keep their religious beliefs to themselves and not impose it or force it on anyone else. That and sh**ty music.

-Scott

(now please leave me be)
StevieV019 09-02-2005 07:46 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Bleedthrough
When someone text messages me at work about something as stupid as this, I have no choice but to respond.

You've apparently never heard of any Norwegian bands, sir NightRanger. Like the Black Metal band Mayhem. Nice bunch of guys they were. They pretty much started Black Metal back in 83.

Anyway, these guys were what metal was and probobly always should be. The lead singer, who called himself Dead, was obsessed with Satan, violence, etc.

Anyway, Dead later kiled himself with a shotgun blast to the head, with the help (sort of) of some other person involved in the Black Metal scene. His suicide note read the following:

"Please excuse all the blood" (or something of the sort).

Anyway, the guitarist found all of this in the back of the band's home. Instead of calling friends and family about the recent death of the lead singer, he thought it was so cool that he ran to the nearest store to buy a one time use camera and took a picture of the dead lead singer, which was later used as an album cover. Rumors have it that the brain and bones of Dead were eaten and made into necklaces, but nobody knows if that's really true.

Anyway, time went on and the band kept playing. However, the same guitarist was in debt to some guy named Varg Vikernes. Vikernes stabbed the guitarist to death based on this (or as some speculate, because he was more evil than him, but who knows?). Not only did he stab him to death, but he stabbed him to death with a super swet Viking knife over 20 times in various places.

Anyway, at the same time, while this was all going on, Euronymous (the guitarist that was stabbed and took the sweet picture) ran this thing out of a record store he owned where he and a bunch of buddies went around and burned down churches and the like. If you're sitting there and asking yourself "why?", then you haven't paid much attention to this post, because it's apparent that these guys are f***ing evil and don't really like God. Also, at this time, Black Metal bands and thier fans were terrorizing what they thought to be as lesser evil Black Metal bands.

So yeah. This is what metal was. This is what metal should be. Pure evil.

If there is a mention of religion in anything of or pertaining to metal, then it's usually anti-God or satanic imagery. Anything else just isn't metal. If metal is peaceful, then it becomes just plain (pansy/emo) rock.

As a side note, you totally contradicted yourself when you took your lord's name in vain. You might want to fix that. Yeah...

And, for the record, I'm no satanist or one who speaks out against other's beliefs. I just don't believe or practice anything, and I think that people should keep their religious beliefs to themselves and not impose it or force it on anyone else. That and sh**ty music.

-Scott

(now please leave me be)


ROCK ON!!! The great equalizer has entered the building...

Thats my boy, where's my dawg at, yo!! (j/k)

Keep it real Scotty!