Recent Movie Purchases (and movie merch.)

Dork 08-22-2005 01:59 AM
I don't think there's one of these yet for movies. Which is a little surprising actually, seeing how much we all seem to like to brag about the crap we've been wasting our monies on. And I say that lovingly as someone who adores 80% of the crap she wastes her monies on.

So, what movies have you bought recently?

Here are the ones I've bought in the last month more or less in order, just to get things started.

'The Nightmare Before Christmas'
'Finding Neverland'
'Benny and Joon'
'Ed Wood'
'Hook' (that's right. Hook. Johnny Depp's no where to be seen)
'Edward Scissorhands'

Wednesday afternoon I went on a bit of an unintended movie run at Best Buy. They had some stuff that comes very well recommended and it was all pretty cheap;

'What's Eating Gilbert Grape?'
'Dead Man'
'Cry-Baby'

Haven't watched the first two yet but 'Cry-Baby' was quite funny the second time around. My opinion of Johnny Depp has gone up considerably after watching 'Cry-Baby'. Right now I really know what to say about it except how on Earth did he land 'Edward' after that one? It's a good performance but still. Weirdness.

muchlove
-Dork
BethMcBeth 08-25-2005 01:46 PM
I recently picked up Disney's Mulan because the art work is just so amazing in it and also The Iron Giant a great movie! ^_^"

-Beth
Avenir 08-25-2005 04:42 PM
As I mentioned in the Recent Anime Purchases thread (suppose I should have waited for this thread, as it's not technically an anime film), my brother and I recently chipped-in and pre-ordered the Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children Advent Pieces ultimate edition DVD set. Big Grin

Now to wait for the English version to come on for pre-order.
IanC 08-25-2005 04:46 PM
My last months non anime dvds i got:

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
Finding Neverland
Hero
Alexander Director's Cut
Edge of Darkness
Scary Movie 3
Shaoilin Soccer
The Omega Factor (70s BBC X Files style series)
Doctor Who the Movie (aka the TV movie)
Dork 08-26-2005 11:17 PM
I picked out the next batch of Johnny Depp movies I wanted today. He has a lot of good stuff, makes me happy. Anywho went to Best Buy and they only had one of the movies on my list, 'Donnie Brasco'. So I got that.

And my dad bought 'Platoon'. He was pretty shocked when I told him Johnny Depp was in it. We watched the movie trying to spot him and sure enough he's in it for like five minutes. His mouth is very distinctive the way he opens it. I think he got killed but the movie was so dark I couldn't really tell.

muchlove
-Dork
Dork 08-28-2005 11:34 PM
'Secret Window'

I've seriously got to stay away from the video department at Wal-Mart.

I also bought a 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory' shirt from Hot Topic. And I got another one, the red one with the cartoon Wonka, in the mail the other day.
Generalissimo D 08-29-2005 04:41 PM
yer a looney dork. A total. F**king. Looney.

oh well.

My mom picked up the Nightmare Before Christmas on VHS to replace the copy we lost so looong ago(I believe my cousin has it.)

I also found an old tape of a movie called "Fright Night Part 2" in the stuff my aunt brought over to sell in our yard sale.

Really campy vampy flick. Oh well.
Captain Maw 08-30-2005 04:47 AM
The Lord of the Rings Special Edition Extended DVD box set.
cost me over 100 bucks... but well worth it, around 40 min. of extra footage that, i believe, they should've added, seeing how some scenes help explain the movie.
Dork 08-30-2005 10:47 PM
'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory' tin lunchbox!

I am not kidding.

Eh, I go through these buying bouts once every six months. Staying far away from ebay for the moment.

Oh, I got 'Don Juan DeMarco' from amazon.com yesterday. Yayness. Looks sorta funny.

Oh, and 'Secret Window' <-- very much recommended. I thought it was alright at first but it's addicting. I watched it almost twice last night.

also from amazon:

'Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory' <-- soundtrack

'Edward Scissorhands' <-- soundtrack (hells yes!)

muchlove
-Dork
Delirious 08-30-2005 11:03 PM
I got these DVDs in the last month or two:

Constantine
Hitch
Jesus Christ Superstar
Star!
The Others
Victor/Victoria
Green_Bird 08-31-2005 05:34 PM
Ringu: Anthology of Terror....it's basicly all the Japanese Ring movies + Spiral. Always cheeper to buy them all together...
IanC 09-05-2005 01:28 PM
The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy (UK Exclusive 2 disc special edition) dvd

Was going to get the UMD as well, but the cheapest i can find is £15.99, which is more than i got the dvd for....
Lupin IV 09-05-2005 01:31 PM
Constantine
Saw

quote:
Originally posted by Green_Bird
Ringu: Anthology of Terror....it's basicly all the Japanese Ring movies + Spiral. Always cheeper to buy them all together...

How are the Japanese versions? Like, good?
Dork 09-05-2005 05:17 PM
'Sleepy Hallow'
Nine Kuze 09-06-2005 12:10 PM
The movies that I have recently bought or seen are:

Kung Fu Hustle
The Aviator
Alexander
Ray
Constantine
Sideways
Million Dollar Baby
Boogeyman

Personally, the only movies I watch are the ones that have anything to do at all with the Oscars but I will lower my standards from time to time. kung Fu Hustle was pretty funny and the chreography was fresh. The Aviator was one of the best movies I've seen. Leo did his thing as Howard Hughes. Even if you're not a Leo DiCaprio fan, go and cop this movie. Alexander was okay but I can see why people didn't really like it much. Ray, Ray, Ray. Jamie Foxx gave one of the best performance EVER, damn it. He should have gotten the Best Actor award for the next ten years for that role. I didn't really like Constantine all that much, Sideways was pretty damn funny, even though the whole movie was about two men traveling around Cali drinking wine and trying to get some trim. Million Dollar Baby was AMAZING! That's all I have to say about that. And Boogeyman sucked. Straight up garbage. Barry Watson was better in Sorotity Boys.

Thanks for listening, and Dork, you have a Johnny Depp. Seriously. I not knocking you for it since JD is one hell of an actor but, you should seriously get that checked out... Big Grin . JK.
IanC 09-07-2005 11:59 AM
Got Dodgeball and Pirates of the Caribbean on UMD today. Cant wait to watch em wherever i want to Tongue
Dork 10-14-2005 11:36 PM
I bought the Incredibles a few weeks back and this week I picked up. . .

wait for it. . .

. . . wait for it. . .

The Second
Complete Season
of Television's most hilarious sitcom
- no; show period-
the one, the only. . .

Arrested Development!

I've spent the last few days going through it. It may only be 18 episodes (a cut from season one's 22 ::sniffsniff:: ) but it's no lesser a gem for it; loose seals biting off hands, a 15-year-old finagling her way into a job as a major studio executive, border-line explicit vow renewals, a racially insensitive puppet show, "Mrs. F". Wow, what a season. What a show. I don't care if Arrested Development gets canceled this year (although I'll be seriously bummed if it does) this show has given so much already. And the re-watchablity of the episodes, wow. Everything, wow.

I'm going to start rewatching the first season tommorrow night.

muchlove
-Dork

P.S. Remember, kids! Arrested Development returns three weeks from now on Monday November 7th at 8pm on FOX for a full hour (2 episodes, surely to be fabulous)
DJX Prime 10-16-2005 06:25 AM
Well, since Halloween is approaching, this is the time that I usually go for the horror section for my movies, so here's my latest purchase:

Fright Night
John Carpenter's The Thing

I still need to get Halloween and I was also taking a look at Dracula with Frank Lugella (sp?) and Lawerence Olivier (rather stylistic). Hopefully with the next paycheck.
Dork 11-04-2005 12:52 AM
'Star Wars episode III'

Sure the scenes are choppy, the dialouge's bad, and Natalie Portman doesn't even attempt to act but Anakin Skywalker fall to the darkside, man! More importantly, the whole movie is an uber cool Anakin character study. That's 2 hours of candy for this english nut.
Travis Bickle 11-04-2005 03:55 AM
-Episode 3
-Land of the Dead
-8 1/2
-Treasure of the Sierra Madre
-American Psycho
-Office Space (Special Edition)