RENT: the musical: the movie

Dork 08-16-2005 05:09 PM
A group of young East Villagers in New York City cope with such harsh urban realities as AIDS, homelessness and paying the rent. Based on the Tony Award-winning musical.
------------------------

I knew it would happen eventually, I just wasn't prepared for it to happen so quickly: RENT, the award winning broadway musical is coming to theatres this fall.

I saw the poster for the movie Saturday after I saw 'Charlie' for the third time (I WILL see it again before the end!). Cool beans, I thought. I love the soundtrack. I saw a production of it that came through Jacksonville a couple years ago but it's only after buying the CD that I fell in love with it (what with I could understand it and all). But that's not the cool, scream worthy part of the story. Oh, no.

I checked IMDB.com and it looks like a good deal of the original broadway cast is going to reprise their roles in the film ::screams::

Watch the trailer here

I don't know how much weight my opinions carry around here (what with my tendency to go stark raving fan-mad) but you must see this movie this fall. If you see anything, see this movie. If I had to decide between seeing Charlie again and Corpse Bride or RENT, it would be RENT.

I am going to cry in the theatre. I am going to bawl. I never cry but even that trailer teared me up. Get the music, see the movie. You will not regret it.

muchlove
-Dork
Travis Bickle 08-16-2005 07:09 PM
I saw the play once on Broadway. I hated it with a passion. Seriously. I remember back in the day when every girl I went to school with carried around the soundtrack like it was the goddamn bible. My mom bought it, I listened to it and hated it.

I liked what they did with it in Team America, though:

EVERYONE HAS AIDS!

AIDS AIDS AIDS!

AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS!

Sorry for the negativity. I just can't believe people actually liked this...and POTO when Shumacher made it into a movie (though the Broadway play kicked ass).
harshfire 05-26-2006 08:59 PM
Ha, old thread, and I'm bringing it back.

Anyway, I like the soundtrack so far, and I haven't seen the movie or the broadway yet. But I'd like to. My boyfriend's going to buy me the DVD though, so I'll get to see it at some point. Sweatdrop I already know most of the songs. Heh heh.

My boyfriend tried to explain the storyline to me, but he didn't do a very good job. lol.

I'd like to see it though...

Later days,
Rev
Diverse Considerations 05-26-2006 11:09 PM
I sat through it with my (now ex-)girlfriend. I wasn't impressed. At least I had something to look forward to that night. Big Grin
Mugiwara Luffy 05-27-2006 10:15 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Diverse Considerations
I sat through it with my (now ex-)girlfriend. I wasn't impressed. At least I had something to look forward to that night. Big Grin

I had pretty much the same experience, minus the "something to look forward to" part. She dumped me right after the movie.

And that's why I despise the movie Rent.
Diverse Considerations 05-27-2006 03:07 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Mugiwara Luffy
I had pretty much the same experience, minus the "something to look forward to" part. She dumped me right after the movie.

And that's why I despise the movie Rent.

Eh, mine dumped me a few months later after we went to the ballet.

And that's why I despise the movie Rent...and the ballet.
Inigo Montoya 05-27-2006 06:15 PM
Holy cripes, am I the only one here who had a great time with his girlfriend at Rent??
Diverse Considerations 05-27-2006 08:06 PM
quote:
Originally posted by The Venome Lord
Holy cripes, am I the only one here who had a great time with his girlfriend at Rent??

And you are apparently also the only one who still has a girlfriend after Rent...
Fujiko 05-27-2006 11:57 PM
I saw it. It was...okay. I went to a theater with a bunch of my friends and only paid a dollar to get in. Just the end bugged me a bit.

spoiler (highlight to read):
I'm getting tired of these people coming back to life at the end of movies. But that's just me I guess. If you're gonna die at the end, you should do it and stay that way.
dancinggummi88 05-30-2006 08:09 AM
it was a beautifully done remake of the play
harshfire 06-03-2006 04:36 PM
quote:
Originally posted by dancinggummi88
it was a beautifully done remake of the play

Wow, this kind of went off topic for a little while. Anyway, I like the music. But that's me. I found out most of the people in the broadway show were in the actual movie too. I'd really like to see the broadway, I prefer those better (like the Phantom of the Opera movie sucked, but I liked the play). Maybe someday, but for now, I'll have to settle with the movie.

Later days,
Rev
Dork 06-11-2006 12:45 AM
I really didn't like it. I love the musical and was hoping that RENT would clear a few things up that had confused me which it did but dramatically it was a huge let down.

On the soundtrack just about every line of the musical is sung. It's practically an opera. You have lots of conversational lines that are sing-songed. It works. It really does. But when you take those same lines and say them they come out as badly written. There's a pace to them a lyrical quality that sounds horrible just spoken. Good example is Angel's 'You Okay Honey?' song. On the soundtract it's a song. And it's beautiful, ironic, sad, and very sweet. Loses all of that when it's spoken.

I hated Maureen's set. It was embarrasing. I had to turn away from the TV for a second there. Which is no insult to Indina Menzel. The lines of the song are somewhat absurd on their own but on the CD (for the broadway version) she brings a dignity and respect to it while still maintaining the fun. The character played way too much to the crowd. It's not something I think any good performance poet would do.

Lately, and this is possibly my biggest complaint, I hated that montage of Roger's past. In the original there's an off-handed comment about Roger's girlfriend that powerfully and quietly tells you everything you need to know about him. 'Close on Roger his girlfriend April left a note saying 'we've got AIDS' before slitting her wrists in the bathroom'. Yeah, sure the montage gives you something to look at during 'One Song Glory' but it takes away all the power of Roger's past. Cheapens it and makes it heavy and heavy handed. And you know, I think good movies are the ones that have the courage and confidence to enjoy a artistically needed quite moment, like watching a guy play guitar and sing about his craft.

All and all I would not recommend the movie 'RENT' to anyone. If you're interested in 'RENT' get the original cast recording. All the movie's going to do is turn you off what is in fact a beautiful story about love, dignity, and artistic and personal intedrity. On the other hand if you already love 'RENT' it's an interesting watch. It doesn't take anything away from my on-going enjoyment of the soundtrack and it did clear up for me what exactly happened with Maureen and Joann's breakup.