The Picture of Dorian Gray

harshfire 08-14-2005 01:34 PM
Has anyone read it before? It's an alright book, but it kinda drags. It's interesting and deep to say the least.

Later days:
JA
Sephiroth 08-14-2005 03:39 PM
I read this book about 3 years ago after watching the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, and I really liked it. It was pretty entertaining, though the homosexual undertones were a little wierd at times. The mystery side of it was interesting, and the whole idea of the picture aging for him and its effect on his mind and soul was very cool. Overall, I would reccomend it, but again, it does drag at times.

P.S.
This thread reminds me, a friend of mine still has my copy of the book. I bought it and then lent it to her when I was done, and she has yet to return it to me. I really need to get that back.
Almasy 08-14-2005 03:46 PM
I love this book! It's like one of the only books assigned from school that I ever actually read, and didn't just spark-note! ;D
Lady Tesser 08-14-2005 04:51 PM
A brilliant piece of philosophical and horror fiction, exposing the hypocrasy of the era and the people that author Oscar Wilde knew. Plus it's one of the best dark humor pieces to illustrate the adage "Be careful what you wish for - you might get it."

I still have a very old, worn cloth-covered copy from 1913 somewhere in my book storage, which is the one I read one rainy afternoon. I used Lord Henry from this and Algernon from 'Importance of Being Earnest' in a compare essay about outside-influenced corruption.
harshfire 08-17-2005 10:30 PM
Yeah, it was very philosophical and I thought it nice at one point, but it starts dragging on me. I like some of the stuff they say though. Ha ha. I have to agree with Lady Tesser.

Later days:
JA