Monster

Shredder 08-13-2005 10:09 PM
I didn't see any topics about this series, so I thought I'd start one. For those who aren't familiar with it, it's an excellent psychological thriller about a Japanese doctor living in Germany named Kenzo Tenma. Without giving too much information away, he makes a quick decision to save a certain patient's life over another one and this decision comes back to haunt him years later. He ends up on the run in a struggle to prove his innocence over a murder he didn't commit. I think a lot of Big O fans would really enjoy this series, as it is very mature (thematically), more "realistic" in terms of character designs and settings, has a bunch of interesting characters, and heavily features elements of mystery. Personally, I think that this is one of the best anime I've ever seen (it's also extremely close in following the manga) and I highly recommend it. It's full of all kinds of plot twists and you really don't know what will happen next.

So, anyone else following this series or are interested in it?
Avenir 08-13-2005 10:25 PM
I've had the inclination to see Monster for quite some time now, but have yet to get around to doing so. From what I gather, it reminds me heavily of the film The Fugitive, in which Harrison Ford is also framed for murder and ends up on a violent run to find the real culprit. It seems like a very interesting show and right up my alley.

Has there been any word on a stateside release?
Travis Bickle 08-13-2005 10:56 PM
I have episodes 1-5 fansubbed on my pc, and I saw the first one about a month or so ago. Very...intersting. Not your typical anime.

It has also been greenlit by New Line as a motion picture, and some not-so-well-known screenwriter is in the middle of penning a draft for it. It's due to come out in about two years or so.

Could be interesting as well.
Krang 08-13-2005 11:19 PM
Monster is definitely one of my favorites, as I'm sure many of you already know from my sig. Smile I've seen nearly 60 episodes, and it has been an excellent series. The characters are great, and the storytelling is very unique and interesting. Like Shredder, I also recommend this series.

quote:
Originally posted by Avenir
I've had the inclination to see Monster for quite some time now, but have yet to get around to doing so. From what I gather, it reminds me heavily of the film The Fugitive, in which Harrison Ford is also framed for murder and ends up on a violent run to find the real culprit. It seems like a very interesting show and right up my alley.

That part of the storyline is similar, but there are some major differences that keep it original. I don't want to spoil anything by getting into details, but I'll say that Tenma's objective is somewhat different.

quote:
Has there been any word on a stateside release?

No news yet on the anime, but Viz will begin releasing the manga in the fall.

quote:
Originally posted by Bleedthrough
It has also been greenlit by New Line as a motion picture, and some not-so-well-known screenwriter is in the middle of penning a draft for it. It's due to come out in about two years or so.

I also heard about that, and I find it kind of strange that they chose Monster, a series which is barely known in the US. I don't have very high hopes for the movie (especially since I don't know how they can attempt to cram 78 episodes worth of story into a movie), but I'll see it anyway when it is released.
Travis Bickle 08-13-2005 11:39 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Krang
quote:

I also heard about that, and I find it kind of strange that they chose Monster, a series which is barely known in the US. I don't have very high hopes for the movie (especially since I don't know how they can attempt to cram 78 episodes worth of story into a movie), but I'll see it anyway when it is released.

They probobly believe that they've come across something quite unique. Kind of like what Aranofsky thought of Perfect Blue (which is now rumored to be in talks to become a future project of his).
Green_Bird 08-14-2005 11:43 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Krang
quote:

Well maybe they want it because like you said it isn't well known in the US. I mean the only well known anime that they're making movies of is NGE and Speed racer. But with others like Battle Angel Alita, Perfect Blue, Monster, Aeon Flux (if you count that as anime), and maybe the Live action WHR show that was supposed-to-come-out-along-time-ago-but-didn't that really only have a cult following are easy to bill as "New" to the clueless non-anime liking masses and they will never know if it was an anime before hand or not because the directors will tweak stuff here and there and change it just enough that even people who have seen one episode will think its new...either that or a bastardization of it Oh Well ...

But anyway back to topic, I haven't seen it myself, but from what I have read on ANN, it sounds good Smile ....I might check it out whenever it comes over here (Can't and won't download fansubs >_< ).
BabyGhia 08-14-2005 11:42 PM
I saw the first ep and liked where it was going. I haven't gotten to watch anymore because it's on a hard drive I can't get to right now. But reading some of these posts makes me want to continue with it. Might have to redownload it.

BabyGhia
Travis Bickle 01-18-2006 01:39 AM
So far, I've seen the first 20 episodes within the past few months. My friend and I watch it whenever we get a chance to. Tenma's a pretty cool cat.

And I can see why New Line picked it up as a movie, and possibly how they can make it into one feature length film.
Schwarzwald_X 01-18-2006 09:31 AM
I heard about this one a while back- I'll probably check it out when it comes out on DVD. Can't wait!
Shredder 01-31-2006 10:51 PM
Ever since Big O's Act 26, I've been a little nervous about disappointing endings taking away from otherwise great shows. Well, in case anyone else was following Monster, you'd know that the final episode was released recently. Thankfully, the ending was as well done as the rest of the series (I want to say more, but I'll wait to discuss it). Now officially having seen the whole series, I can say without a doubt that this is still one of the best anime series out there. It's full of engaging characters and excellent storytelling and pacing (as well as a ton of suspense and plot twists!). Hopefully it will be licensed soon and everyone will get a chance to enjoy this awesome series. Now if they only would make an anime out of 20th Century Boys... (a manga series by the same author, Naoki Urasawa, which I've heard is just as good, if not better). Happy
parabellum 02-22-2006 01:58 AM
I like realistic character designs in Monster.

I think if you enjoyed Monster, you will like Legend of Galactic Heroes.

Monster is ranked number 9 of all animes ever produced

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclop...bayesian&n=2000
Alexzyuy 03-16-2006 08:44 PM
I've seen all but the last fifteen episodes or so. Monster's one of my favorite anime. I think its pretty addictive. It seemed to me that something happened in almost every episode that made me want to keep on watching the series, so it never got old. I like almost all of the characters in it, even the not so likeable ones like Johan. I've heard that the anime is going to released in the US sometime. The manga is already out, I've got the first volume. Big Grin
Asirt 03-16-2006 09:42 PM
After hearing many good things about Monster throughout the Internet, I'm currently download the first few episodes right now. It does seem different from the usual anime series these days. I usually don't watch really long series (52+), but this one does seem interesting.
The Baker St. Irregular 06-07-2006 11:04 PM
Naoki Urasawa PWNED my brain.

Monster > 99% of all anime ever
Asirt 10-13-2006 11:14 PM
Can't wait till Monster comes out in the US? Well, here's the next best thing. It probably doesn't beat the fansubs, but yeah.

quote:
Monster Available with English Subs (2006-10-13 17:09:42)
As previously reported, Odex has released an English-subtitled, Region 3 DVD set of Monster season 1 for the Singaporean market. The 3-disc set costs less than US$25. No North American license for Monster has been announced yet.

Here's said link, in case you're interested.

-----------------------------------

quote:
We are in dire need of anime that isn't just some stupid moe crap or your standard cookie-cutter shonen adventure. But alas! Monster might be too far over the common anime fan's head. Pity, really. I was rather fond of it's mind-rapage...

This is probably why AIR has yet to be licensed...
The Baker St. Irregular 10-14-2006 12:28 AM
Region 3? Like that does me any good. Oh Well

I've always believed that Monster could have a totally awesome English dub. I just wish somebody here would actually, you know, license it. Sweatdrop We are in dire need of anime that isn't just some stupid moe crap or your standard cookie-cutter shonen adventure. But alas! Monster might be too far over the common anime fan's head. Pity, really. I was rather fond of it's mind-rapage...
Nine Kuze 06-23-2007 09:59 PM
*Bringin' it back... kind of*

I haven't seen the anime yet, but tonight I read the manga at Borders. They didn't have the first volume (cocksuckers) but they had the second one and I decided what the hell and I started off with that one.

Basically, its about Tenma looking for Johan and realizing that he's become a serial killer and his after his sister whose lost her memory from her childhood on her 20th birthday. Good lord, is this series good and I just read one volume. I'm looking forward to reading the rest when I can but the storytelling, the characters and the narrative pace of the series is top notch and somethin' so good.

So yeah, I'd like to watch the series when I can but for the moment, the manga is damn good as it is.
Peace.
The Baker St. Irregular 06-24-2007 11:40 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Nine XXVI
So yeah, I'd like to watch the series when I can but for the moment, the manga is damn good as it is.
Peace.

Both are leagues beyond most of the stuff you can get out there. Cool

I think you especially, Nine, will appreciate Monster (manga and anime) because they demonstrate writing and direction on a level rarely seen in their respective mediums. When reading the manga, I can't help but notice Urasawa's immense amount of control over every element, from art to plot and pacing. He's a professional through and through, and it shows in his work.
Nine Kuze 06-26-2007 09:59 PM
quote:
Originally posted by The Baker St. Irregular
I think you especially, Nine, will appreciate Monster (manga and anime) because they demonstrate writing and direction on a level rarely seen in their respective mediums.

Over the past two days, I've read the Monster volumes three through six and this stuff is amazing. And I see what you are saying as well Mistress, with the the delicate pace to the pacing to the direction of all the different storylines and plots with the characters. Its damn impressive and I'm getting ideas from reading this.

Also, Johan is one bad motherf***er and I'm more impressed with him that I was with Light Yagami (he's like... Johna lite or something). I'm not sure about the "split personality" angle (I'm still new at this) but still the way he's about the manipulate everyone around him. I'm waiting for him and Kenzo to get together.

I'm hoping to read the next couple of volumes later on, but I think the Borders here as only up to eight and not seven. Hell, I still need to read the first one while I'm at it.
Peace.