Pathologically Watchable Movies

Dork 08-11-2005 01:10 AM
Have you ever come across a movie you just couldn't stop watching? I don't mean your favorite movies, those you pull out ever so often when the feeling hits, but movies you're compelled to watch over and over. They call to you and you have no recorse but to pop the movie back in the player or just hit rewind.

What movies have you seemingly been unable to stop watching? What about it is about them that calls to you?
---------------------------------------

I have one right now, 'The Nightmare Before Christmas' that I must have watched 15 times since I got it three weeks ago. I think part of the reason I can't stop watching it is because I don't know exactly what it is I like so much. Then again it might be the stop-animation, the songs (very likely), maybe it's the way characters move, or even Jack's wonder and joy at finding something new. I honestly don't know what it is but keep on watching just the same.

muchlove
-Dork

by the by, I nabbed the thread title from a 'Charlie' movie review in which the reviewer referred to Johnny Depp as 'pathologically watchable'.
Travis Bickle 08-11-2005 01:25 AM
Let's see...

There was this period of time where I fell asleep every night to Blade Runner in middle school.

I've seen Pulp Fiction over 50 times and can quote anything from the script in a split second. It was that damn good.

As a kid, I used to know the entire script and all the songs to the Nightmare Before Christmas because I saw it a gazillion times when it first came out and I couldn't put it down. I still remember it too, I think, and I haven't seen it in years (In our town/everybody scream/In this town of Halloween/I am the one hiding under your stairs/fingers like snakes and spiders in my hair...the opening song hauled ass!)

From time to time, if I'm ever home, have nothing to do, and I'm bored, I resort to watching FLCL again...

I saw Sin City in the theater 4 times and plan on seeing it a bit more when it comes out on Tuesday.

My ex-girlfriend and I saw Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas about 4 times in one day. For no reason. It was just that awesome.

And I don't watch as many movies as one might think, though I am a film student...
Lupin IV 08-11-2005 07:03 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Dork
Have you ever come across a movie you just couldn't stop watching? I don't mean your favorite movies, those you pull out ever so often when the feeling hits, but movies you're compelled to watch over and over. They call to you and you have no recorse but to pop the movie back in the player or just hit rewind.

What movies have you seemingly been unable to stop watching? What about it is about them that calls to you?
---------------------------------------

I have one right now, 'The Nightmare Before Christmas' that I must have watched 15 times since I got it three weeks ago. I think part of the reason I can't stop watching it is because I don't know exactly what it is I like so much. Then again it might be the stop-animation, the songs (very likely), maybe it's the way characters move, or even Jack's wonder and joy at finding something new. I honestly don't know what it is but keep on watching just the same.

muchlove
-Dork

by the by, I nabbed the thread title from a 'Charlie' movie review in which the reviewer referred to Johnny Depp as 'pathologically watchable'.

Must be a bizarre coincidence, but it's exactly the same for me. When I'm not watching the movie, I have the soundtrack playing. I can watch some scenes over and over countless times, especially "Jack's Obsession", "Making Christmas". Everything after "Poor Jack" is especially good too. When I was younger, I would watch Return Of The Jedi countless times. So many times, today I can tell you pretty much what happens in that movie scene for scene.
Dork 08-11-2005 07:19 PM
I'm just going to go ahead and say that when I get the DVD 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory' isn't going to leave my player for about a month. I love that movie, I'd be watching right now if I had it. Sometimes you just wished you lived in a city with streetcorner bootleggers.

muchlove
-Dork
Generalissimo D 08-11-2005 07:57 PM
Silly Dork, go to L.A.!

Pirates of the Carribean held my interest for some reason. I have watched it well over 50 times. I actually counted that.

That Hercules animated movie I just watch for no reason at all. I just randomly pick it up every once in a while and pop it in.
Lady Tesser 08-11-2005 08:21 PM
As lame as it sounds - 'Mary Poppins'. There's a sort of hypnotic calming effect about it for me ...
088nd 08-11-2005 09:40 PM
Mine are

OLD SCHOOL- Greatest comedy ever. Best acting in a comedy movie.

Anchorman- GUH. 'Gasm.

Pulp Fiction - Duh

The 13th Warrior - Obscure movie based on Michael Crichton book.
TanookiJoe 08-11-2005 09:55 PM
Well, I can think of several movies that fit this description, but the most apt is...

Jumanji!
Sharpshooter005 08-12-2005 01:11 AM
I'm trying to figure out how to modify a DVD player, so the only movies it's capable of playing, are Gettysburg, Stalker, Andrei Rublov, Suicide Kings, The Godfather part 2, Apocalypse Now, Citizen Kane, Pulp Fiction, and...the guns of navarone I guess.

Maybe if I put a cd changer type device in, then welded the disc drive shut. That would be a good setup.

quote:
When I was younger, I would watch Return Of The Jedi countless times.

Not only have I seen Empire Strikes Back numerous times, I have a VHS of it dubbed into French with subtitles....I'm not even sure I remember buying it.
Dork 08-12-2005 01:22 AM
If I had one of those multi-disc DVD players it'd all be 'Nightmare Before Christmas', 'Benny and Joon', 'Ed Wood', 'Edward Scissorhands', and an 'Invader Zim' DVD. Yeah, that'd be pretty awesome.

When I was a kid in elementary school I had a bout of watching 'The Lion King' every afternoon that lasted about a year. I can still quote that movie backwards and forwards.

muchlove
-Dork
StevieV019 08-12-2005 08:16 AM
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas totally cracks me up. That has to be the most interesting and also hilarious movies I have ever seen. Sadly though, not it isnt on my pathological movie list....

For awhile the movie "Rounders" was on my pathological list. That movie rocks, in my opinion. I think I watched it mainly for John Malkovich's speech at the end about Matt Damon tricking him and checking his bets all night long.

The movie "The Replacement Killers" with Mira Sorvino and Chow Yun Fat is on the list. I used to love the gunfights and soundtrack in the movie. The opening theme is just plain badass...thanks to the talents of Crystal Method.

"Romeo Must Die" is another one. Jet Li totally owns the screen, of course Aaliyah was really good in the movie as well as Anthony Anderson and Delroy Lindo. The mix of urban gangsters and kung fu made for some fun scenery.

Speaking of Delroy Lindo, "Gone in 60 Seconds" is another movie that hits the list and is one that I watch whenever it comes on TNT (through their habit of repeating movies every month) and has worn out the DVD player. Fast cars, fast script...what can I say...

I hate to say it...well maybe not, this was during my formative years...but "The Karate Kid" and "National Lampoon's Vacation" are two more that I had to watch a bunch of times...mainly over summer vacation with my brother and best friend...good stuff...

Oh...forgot about "What's Eating Gilbert Grape"....Johnny Depp and Leonardo DiCaprio with Juliette Lewis as well. I had to watch that all the time when it came out and of course when its on tv....
Hienrich Ele 08-12-2005 02:05 PM
Whenever Pulp Fiction, and Batman, Batman Returns, Batman Mask of the Phantasm, Mad Mad Mad World, Fallen, Nightmare Before Christmas, Star Wars, or Indiana Jones is on, I will sit down and watch them.

There are probably more, but those are the ones I remember.
The Baker St. Irregular 08-12-2005 05:08 PM
Back in freshman year, I'd stay up after everyone went to bed and watched Fellowship of the Ring. I could easily say I have watched it over fifty times since it first came out. The other two movies, not as much, but only because I'd would actually be tired enough to go to bed. I can't always watch a 3+ hour movie several times a week anymore.

Another thing I could watch over and over would have to be Cowboy Bepop. Everything about that series is so goddang perfect!
Sharpshooter005 08-14-2005 05:35 AM
quote:
Whenever Pulp Fiction...is on I will sit down and watch [it].

There have been times when I've flipped to the last 4 minutes of the watered down, edited bravo version of that. And still just refused to turn it off until the credits stopped rolling.

Sadly they then did some split-screen during the credits to advertise "being bobby brown". We get it, you're a criminal who wants to buy a gun at a sporting goods store. How hilarious.
Dork 08-15-2005 04:57 PM
You know I'm just going to go ahead and add 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory' to my list right now. Yesterday I saw the movie for my third time, I woke up this morning from a dream in which I was conniving to see it again.

It just gets better every time I see it. I can't see it again this weekend but I'm goin to try to work something out for the weekend after next.

muchlove
-Dork