Are you a reader?

Patsai 08-08-2005 12:18 AM
My question is: are you literate? Do you like to read? How often do you read, and how well do you interpret what you read? What have you gained from reading?

I thought about this for a while. I personally don't read a lot of books simply because somes books don't catch my interest long enough to keep me going. Very few books have done that to me, and others that I have finished I sometimes force myself to read, missing details in parts I'd rather wizz through than understand (only later to bite me back in the a**). I honestly don't gain a lot of vocabulary through reading, but that may be because I don't read challenging books. I had trouble reading through To Kill A Mockingbird.

I've noticed a lot of kids at school complain about reading books (especially if they're illiterate or just don't have time, or just simply don't care), but I was very surprised to find the majority of heavy readers are the deep-thinking musicians (the rock star types) who don't care much for social parties.
Travis Bickle 08-08-2005 12:24 AM
I possibly read too much. I can (kind of) speedread through books while grasping what the book is fully about. And I've reread through many of my favorite books several times...
Generalissimo D 08-08-2005 12:36 AM
If I had time, I'ld read my library. I like sci-fi stuff, I enjoy Lovecrafts stuff as long as he doesnt ramble on like a history book using his adjectives of choice. I used to read alot of conspiracy and paranormal research stuff when I was a bit younger. I still do sometimes, but I dont get the same emotional fervor when my eyes scan the pages of strange information.

I guess thats why I like to peruse snopes every so often.

Time is a big problem, and I wish I could speed read like Bleedthrough. I could have finished I, Robot whole in a few hours if I didnt have so many distractions. A big problem I have is my eyes like to jump around, so I end up either rereading or skipping parts.

But for right now...I dont read to much. Not as much as I used to. After all, the only friends I had were books. Then I got real ones...so...bleh.
Buck Buck #1 08-08-2005 12:39 AM
I don't read as much as I'd like to. I just have trouble finding books that grab my interest and usually end up putting them down after only a few minutes.
Sharpshooter005 08-08-2005 12:47 AM
quote:
I was very surprised to find the majority of heavy readers are the deep-thinking musicians (the rock star types) who don't care much for social parties.

But I read constantly, and not only do I lack any and all musical talent, I border on being suspicious of people who do have it (lets just say...I had a fairly negative experience with a girl whos apparently a vocal major..so I kind of hope the "if you major in that, you wind up working at starbucks" stereotype is correct. Because damn am I petty and bitter.)

..Well...sadly not in the past month. I keep wanting to go get this one book I'm hellbent on reading, yet things keep coming up. Hopefully that'll be fixed tomorrow.

No offense to any vocal majors on here. Unless you basically lied to me for about a month, then rationalized it with how you "didn't want to hurt me". Which I doubt any of you did.
Travis Bickle 08-08-2005 12:56 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Sharpshooter005
..so I kind of hope the "if you major in that, you wind up working at starbucks" stereotype is correct. Because damn am I petty and bitter.)

It kind of is. We have one girl that's been working there for a while that has an amazing voice. I think she's doing something with singing in college, but I'm not sure XD

Nothing's bad about working at Starbucks, though Tongue

NOW BACK TO THE TOPIC
Sharpshooter005 08-08-2005 02:13 AM
quote:

It kind of is. We have one girl that's been working there for a while that has an amazing voice. I think she's doing something with singing in college, but I'm not sure XD

If you and the girl you refer to live in Miami, this has the possibility of being, by a wide margin, the strangest coincidence ever to happen. It would also be hysterical.

Back to the topic, yeah..um..I've never read to kill a mockingbird. I can, however, find you a link to an online version of the malleus maleficarum. That's right...I've never been assigned what seems to be a standard assigned book, but I have a guidebook for the Inquisition written in 1486 easily accessible.

I'm not sure how this works either.

quote:
I used to read alot of conspiracy and paranormal research stuff when I was a bit younger. I still do sometimes, but I dont get the same emotional fervor when my eyes scan the pages of strange information.

We're on the same page (no pun intended) here. I used to constantly, CONSTANTLY read stuff about UFOs and government conspiracies. Now if I read something about the paranormal, it's usually related to ghosts. And if I mention the men in black, it's usually in the context of "I wish there were men in black, so I could get a job where I wandered around in a suit covering up evidence of extraterrestrials."

In fact if I really wanted to go through all the still unpacked boxes, I'd probably find a number of those old books...not sure if I kept them though.
Zopwx2 08-08-2005 03:22 AM
If I don't have a book on my desk at all times I feel as though I'm wasting valuable time.

I'm always looking for another book, I tried the whole list thing but it got too long.....

Now about people not liking to read: I have no idea where your going with the rockstar thing, but people have to really put in some effort into reading and evenutally they'll realize what they're missing.

I guess its easy to lose your patience when you're used to things being instant, but I always hear the same thing from people who I know aren't stupid but still hate reading, "You know if a book doesn't interest me early on I get bored and don't want to read it", you kind have to stick with it until things develop before things get interesting. Its that way with all great books.

Someone telling me they don't like reading is like someone telling me they hate music.
Yomiko 08-08-2005 03:08 PM
I read alot. I understand what I read even if its in old English like The Scarlet Letter. 99% of the books I pick up on my own I really enjoy. (this doesn't really count for books your english teacher gives you to read)
BabyGhia 08-08-2005 03:35 PM
I pretty much read something everyday. I like to read a few pages of a book or manga before I go to bed. Habit that I picked up from both my parents, who picked it up from their parents. Although recently I can't say that I've read a lot of new books. Last new one I read was The Wolves of Calla and trying to read Dreamcatcher (both by Stephen King), but I'm finding that I'm picking up book that I've already read instead. Also, I probably should go to the Library more often.

As for comprehending what I read, not really. I've never had wonderful reading comprehension. I like to read and some books will keep in my head while others won't. Some books I can read over and over and still catch something after the tenth time of reading it (for example... The Eyes of the Dragon).

I think I just like to read for reading's sake sometimes.

BabyGhia
Madrona 08-08-2005 04:12 PM
I don't read as much as I used to. It used to be if I had free time, I'd be reading. And I read single-mindedly. If I'm reading there is nothing else I can do. My hubby doesn't understand how I can focus so quickly into what I am reading and just cut him off. But my reading habit is an old one. I always read before going to sleep. My mom does that too. I thought everyone did it!!

Most of my reading is online now. Mostly fanfics I'm afraid. Roll Eyes

Here is a site that has a bunch of the classics on line. It also has the Inaugural Addresses of many Presidents.
Zopwx2 08-08-2005 08:24 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Madrona
Here is a site that has a bunch of the classics on line. It also has the Inaugural Addresses of many Presidents.

Another site: http://www.online-literature.com/
pen1300 08-09-2005 08:37 PM
Am I a reader? HELL YEAH!

I'm not a very "dedicated reader." I'm reading all the time, but I never have a set amount of time that I get through books. I discovered this when I was filling out a questionaire about my reading habits. It all depends on what is going on and what kind of general mood I'm in. My mom is one a night. I'm one a night on good times. Other times, I go through a book really slowly (like this latest book of mine, but 1.) I need to be able to focus on it because it's deep and 2.) I'm LEARNING SO MUCH I Don't WANT IT TO END!)

And I do understand what I read. Like right now, I'm reading Communion by Bell Hooks and I'm blown away at what I have been able to apply to myself and what I've learned about myself and the realtionship I'm in.

quote:
...I was very surprised to find the majority of heavy readers are the deep-thinking musicians (the rock star types) who don't care much for social parties.

I read a lot more than my boyfriend reads and he's way more into music than I am. (Though he's hit a lot more classics than I, grr). I'm not a die hard musician, but I do play a musical instrument...occasionally. Though, you hit the stereotype well, "Deep-thinking and don't care much for social parties."

quote:
I guess its easy to lose your patience when you're used to things being instant, but I always hear the same thing from people who I know aren't stupid but still hate reading, "You know if a book doesn't interest me early on I get bored and don't want to read it", you kind have to stick with it until things develop before things get interesting. Its that way with all great books.

One of my favorite English teachers told me that if you ever sit down to read Dune, stick with it because when you hit page 80 or so, BAM. Everything makes sense.

I refuse to give up on a book, though, I realized today, that there were a few I gave up on. (One, I looked at the end and just couldn't finish it, lost interest. The other, I lost interest). Normally, I never give up on a book if I want to read it. I might take forever, but I do make a good attempt to finish it (and I usually do).

Sometimes, I wish I was more habitual with my reading habits, but I'm thankful I have reading habits. Big Grin

Later,
Pen1300
Redd 08-12-2005 08:53 PM
I love to read, but find I don't have as much time for it, as during the school year there's homework and the like, and during the summer I have these summer reading assigments for Honors English that I have to read before I can read what I want to. Red Face Also, my obsessive craving for manga prevents me from reading "real" books a lot of the time. Heehee. I'm pretty weird, I like fantasy and Holocaust novels. Sometimes horror.
David Ryder 08-12-2005 09:24 PM
I enjoy a good book although I read heavly in to the UFO and alien abduction and such like. I also enjoy fantasy and Sci-fi.
Mugiwara Luffy 08-12-2005 10:00 PM
I love reading when it's a book that can hold my interest and keep me reading. If it's a boring book for school that I don't care about but still have to read in order to pass the quiz, then I hate reading. Not saying that all the books we read in school are boring. In fact, I've liked most of them. But there's always that excruciatingly boring one that you can't give up on if you want to be able to answer the teacher's inane questions....

I used to read a lot more when I was younger. This summer I've been getting back into it though, reading Ender's Game, War of the Worlds, The Giver, and Harry Potter 6 all for enjoyment.
StevieV019 08-15-2005 07:14 AM
My girlfriend pretty much reads a book a day. She used to work at a bookstore, and has a large library at her house. Needless to say, she reads more than I do. I wouldnt say that I dont read, but it mainly comes back to time and whether I have it or not. She's read Ender's Game multiple times and has delved into the Ender's Universe. I always hear her talking about that and all the books of Orson Scott Card.

I myself read as much as I can, usually a book every 2-3 weeks, thanks to her influence. Before, it was about a book every 3 months or so. I have her to "blame" for getting me into Harry Potter. I swore I would never get into and read the books, but after her convincing, I figured Id at least read them and figure out whether I liked them or not. Im reading the second book right now.

Ill pretty much read anything, from history, to classic lit, to modern day fiction, to autobiography...basically anything that catches my interest. I will admit that I do pick up on new words and try to bring them into vocabulary when possible. Its not a "hobby" or obsession, but its something I try to do nonetheless. I can pretty much figure out what words mean based upon the context with which they are written in the book. Context, a very important thing when trying to figure out the meaning of a word. The Dictionary is never far away though...
madclarinet 08-15-2005 04:11 PM
I read a lot.

Most often its fiction - just before I go to sleep. Other times - when I'm working on something, I'm reading stuff to help me understand/learn etc.

Quite funny when I have one of my programming books, or even worse, the sendmail manual on my bedside table.

The speed of what I read is variable - I'm a fast reader, but it depends on how tired I am or how early I need to get up on how much I do read.

I think I'll be reading my Duncton books after I've finished the manual I'm reading.........
TanookiJoe 08-16-2005 12:37 AM
I am a pathological reader. I will read whatever's around me-- pamphlets, instructuctions, cereal boxes, tags-- anything with the printed word on it. It's like I have an unquenchable need to absorb all the information around me.

At any particular time, there is a half-dozen books sitting on my desk with the various paper scraps I find to serve as bookmarks jutting out of them, as I read them all simultaneously. A very assorted mix of history, philosophy and fiction.

The only book I have never finished is Don Quixote, which I enjoyed immensely. I got to page 800 or so (out of 1000) and never have picked the book up again. I don't know why.
Sharpshooter005 08-17-2005 10:52 AM
quote:
I will read whatever's around me-- pamphlets, instructuctions, cereal boxes, tags-- anything with the printed word on it.

I can kind of sympathize, yeah..

Do I really need to know the customer service line phone number for ConAgra foods? Am I ever going to call them up, and speak to someone about the box of microwave popcorn I've purchased?