Are you a reader?

Schwarzwald 10-01-2005 10:30 AM
Am I literate?

I'm not really sure.... I think I should talk to my psycoligist about it. Pleased

Meh, I guess I'm an average reader(I'm not gonna include manga on this one), I most read books like Harry Potter and the Inherritence Series(Eragon, and Elder). Mostly basic stuff. But occationally I'll read books by choice like The Knights Templar or The Know it All(A guy who tries to read the entire Encyclopidia of Britanica). But I'm not a guy who reads most of the time or whenever they can like a couple people I know.

What do I inturrpret and gain. Well it depends on how well awake I am...and if the book is actually interesting.

I'm pretty sure I got the idea of Artimis Fowl, though I can't help but see holes which I don't quite understand, and I tihnk I gathered enough of it. That was an interewsting book, but no good.

Usually when I read good interesting books I can pick up important things, or details, and recall them further in the series or conversations about the book. I have no photographic memory but I think I do well in that area. >.>

But I still am really not sure about the literacy question ^^;
Sharpshooter005 10-07-2005 05:33 PM
My english teacher said something like "good reading makes for good writing".

BOY WILL MY PAPER DISPROVE THAT ONE!!!

Yeah, no. Theres zero correlation between reading catch 22 and writing a problem solution paper. Coincidentally, the words problem-solution are really derived from an aramaic term meaning "pit of horror and torment". Because I wound up in while writing this thing.
Patsai 12-07-2005 12:00 AM
After reading all the posts, I guess reading abilities switch on pretty much on those who have longer attention spans than others. I guess I'm one of the unfortunate ones, considering I can still read books, but read the words but think about something totally different and far-off. My guess was right though, musicians do read a lot, and I guess it has something to do with learning to play the instruments and somehow fueling their attention spans.

Anyhow, I am currently reading one of the hardest books in English literature, Moby Dick, which will push my reading abilities to the limit. It's for my English class (damn advanced class), but praise the Lord if I can even finish this book even if I read through all of it and not understand a damn thing.
Raphaela 12-28-2005 01:23 AM
Yes, I am literate, and yes, I love to read. I basically live in the bookstore west of my neighborhood; I don't work there, yet I'm constantly telling people where everything is...^^;

Anyhow, what have I gotten out of reading? My answer is quite simple: most everything. I could not have the level of understanding of the world today without reading. Psychology reports, biographies, news articles...so many things have been written relating to the world and it's nature. I love it. On an entertainment scale, reading novels and the like has been better than any television program or board game. It exercises the imagination and takes you to places far beyond anything that could show up on a TV screen.

Reading is magic. I know it's cliche, but it truly is. It's given me so much. I only hope that I can spread the magic around.
RoseRose 03-04-2006 02:04 AM
I've been a bibliophile since I was in 1st grade, and reading "adult-level" books since 4th grade. I LOVE to read, though I haven't had much time to do so since I came to college. *shrug* I still read a lot, cause I love books. Getting lost in a book is still one of my favorite things to do.

I guess you'd call me highly literate...
Hobodoken 03-04-2006 11:31 AM
I used to read a lot more, but recently I hit another burst of reading-frenzy. I'm very partial to Heinlien, and the whole Science Fiction genre, but some good0old-fashioned fantasy, or just fiction, can be very entertaining as well. Most of the books I've read recently are my dad's, since he was an avid reader his whole life and has amassed quite a collection. Heh, he even had to pack a bunch of them up for storage because my mother didn't want them cluttering up the house, what with every bookshelf in the house full, and books being piled up next to them. =P
Chitter-Box-Kat 03-27-2006 08:14 PM
YO. Am I a reader? Heh...YOU BET YOUR SWEET BUNS I AM! Sometimes I feel like I read too much. Roll Eyes
I can't imagine going anywhere without some form of reading material in a bag to ease potential boredome. Embarrassed Sweatdrop
I even remember ho wI would get in trouble in middle school for reading in class while teh teacher was teaching! Big Grin I still do it to an extent... Pleased
harshfire 03-28-2006 01:42 AM
I read a lot. Like...a little too much. I spend half my time reading, which is probably why people have a tendency to think I'm seventeen to a college level student, when I'm only fourteen. I can read when forced to, and I try to find some interest in the ones I'm reading mandatorily. I honestly didn't like To Kill A Mockingbird, but I found some good qualities to it. I have a tendency to question everything in the reading, only to get my answer two sentences down the line, and I have an interesting habit of envisioning, I suppose you could say, of everything, like it were a movie in my head.

I suppose what makes it hard to read certain books in my English I-2H class is that I have to take notes on everything. If it weren't for that, I think I might have an easier time reading the stuff.

How often do I read? Everyday to say the least. When I was in fourth grade, I was one of the top five readers in my entire elementary school of 800 kids, and I couldn't read anything in the school library because it wasn't "of my reading level."

My teachers told me my reading level was that of a tenth grade or higher book, when I was in fifth grade, and the highest they went was seventh.

Am I literate? Well, just because I can read and I can write doesn't mean I'm literate. You'd have to test me for yourself. I've gained basic understanding of words from my wide variety of reading, and I've adapted several writing styles over the years for writing (see Personal Fanfics thread for three of them). My vocabulary has increased, yet I choose not to use it unless I'm writing a paper, or a story. I've also gained several reference points when I'm writing a paper, and I can draw from many ideas and examples.

That's the end of that.

Later days,
Rev
Sir Nise 03-30-2006 07:28 PM
I try and try to finish books and stuff for school, but it's so hard. I just don't care after a certain amount of time. I wish I LOVED to read instead of occasional glances at books.
Travis Bickle 03-31-2006 12:38 AM
I just finished reading all of Chuck Palahniuk's books in less than a week. So I guess I'm a reader.
Yomiko 05-18-2006 03:43 PM
In my random notebook I wrote down the books I read this, my senior year, and I have read 17 books. Thats more then most in my grade read, they stuggle through Frankenstein and Hamlet, while I just fly though them and understand them.
I've also read a fair amont of manga that I didn't write down.
Diverse Considerations 05-18-2006 07:44 PM
Am I a reader? Good Lord, yes. When I read I get all wrapped up in the story and I lose all sense of time. It's not unusual for me to start something around 6pm and look up next and notice that it's 3 in the morning.

Well, let me categorize that. That's only if I'm reading a book that I like. Because there are some real stinkers out there, and they're all on the high school reading list, my friend.

I read my first book in kindergarten, it was one of those simple little books with the words in BIG blocky letters and no more than ten pages, but it was still a book. I remember how proud my parents were. Pleased
RoseRose 05-18-2006 11:43 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Yomiko
In my random notebook I wrote down the books I read this, my senior year, and I have read 17 books. Thats more then most in my grade read, they stuggle through Frankenstein and Hamlet, while I just fly though them and understand them.
Hamlet's good. I haven't read Frankenstien, but the scary end isn't for me. *shrug* I haven't read much that hasn't been on the reading list this year, but... my college reading list tops your 17 books by the end of this term....
Yomiko 05-19-2006 09:43 AM
quote:
Originally posted by RoseRose
quote:
Originally posted by Yomiko
Hamlet's good. I haven't read Frankenstien, but the scary end isn't for me. *shrug* I haven't read much that hasn't been on the reading list this year, but... my college reading list tops your 17 books by the end of this term....

Frankenstien donesn't have a scary ending, I didn't think so anyway.

Also with me being a reader, just look at the first line of my sig. Big Grin
My very first day as a member of Paradigm I put that in my sig and I have left it the exact same since. Pleased
ScionofDestiny 05-19-2006 10:44 AM
My reading skills are fairly advanced and I like to use them. I have no particular bias or predjuice in what I read - fiction or non-fiction, religion or science, pseudo-science or fact, sci-fi and fantasy. Any body of knowledge irregardless of it's use in reality is of interest to me.

I do live in reality though, so it is good I have Judgement and Reason to discern legitemancy from none.

Harry Potter is a good work. My favorite teacher (Geometry, Holocaust) thinks J.K. Rowling has the tendancy to overuse descriptive words. Personally, the use of descriptive words never bothered me in the least.

Tolkien is genuis. I learned a lot on how to write from reading his books - particularily when handling mythology.

C.S. Lewis is alright, even though I have outgrown the Narnia series.

Paolini is alright. I think he puts too much deliberate aetheist/agnostic proproganda in his books. Not to mention there is a little too much Star Wars influence at work in the Inheritence series. Plus, Eragon faints too much. I know he had a reason for it in the second book, but it was still too much. His writing can be incosistant and rides between adult and childish.

It seems that there is some literary irony in "Eldest" - Oromis says that the story of his adventures (as Eragon composed in a "drapa") was an engaging read but no masterpiece.

I think the irony is that Eragon wrote about his journies and what he believed the future would be like for him. That is what Christopher Paolini is doing when he writes Eragon. Using Oromis as a mouthpiece, it seems Paolini is acknowledging his first series is an engaging read but no masterpiece.

Which is exactly what I think it is.
Sharpshooter005 05-19-2006 11:37 AM
So I started reading the davinci code finally (and subsequently passed out since I haven't slept much lately)...it's an okay book. I mean, yeah, if you read this and think its factual when not only is the entire theory that makes up the central plot of it is very old (and was in a different novel released years before this one) but theres a number of historical errors, you're a moron. But I can't see blaming the author for someone elses idiocy, much as if I'd started screaming "GREENPEACE HAS A BIOLOGICAL AGENT!" after reading rainbow six, that wouldn't be tom clancy's fault.

edit: Okay I can see how the author could slightly be blamed for the little "THIS IS ALL ACCURATE, IT'S SERIOUS BUISNESS" disclaimer in the beginning. And I can't WAIT to read the next one, since it's going to be about the freemasons, and I have this sneaking suspicion it's going to be unintentionally hysterical (as well as a good or at least passable page turner)