Favorite Characters

Collateral 08-07-2005 07:46 PM
This is a thread where you post your favorite storybook character and why you love them. What did they do in the story that intrigued you so much...etc., etc.

Let me start with three characters:

Atticus Finch from To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee- he is the perfect example of a gentleman. I also, love the way his relationship with his children. You can tell that his children respect him greatly.

George Knightley from Emma by Jane Austen- again he is a wonderful example of a gentleman. I also like his honesty towards Emma. He is not afraid to speak his mind.

Mike Rogers from Endless Night by Agatha Christie- if you read the book you can understand my reasoning a little better. He is the most unique character I have read in a while.
Sharpshooter005 08-07-2005 10:26 PM
Breaking form from virtuous characters like Atticus Finch...

The Judge, from Blood Meridian. A destructive force of nature given the form of a man. The Judge takes to violence and warfare like it was a religion. His brutality is not motivated by hatred, or a desire for revenge, but seemingly out of an almost immortal quality to him. ""It makes no difference what men think of war.... War endures. As well ask men what they think of stone. War was always here. Before man was, war waited for him. The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner. That is the way it was and will be. That way and not some other way." This is further illustrated in how he cataloges antiquities, only to deface or destroy them, giving him a sort of ownership on them. Articulate as well as brutal, he's a character with seemingly no past, and no future. Mysterious to the very end, and surrounded by a path of neverending strife.

The last lines of the novel illustrate his almost supernatural presence
spoiler (highlight to read):
“His feet are light and nimble. He never sleeps. He says that he will never die. He dances in light and in shadow and he is a great favorite. He never sleeps, the judge. He is dancing, dancing. He says that he will never die.”

Really it was a fascinating book all around, but if I had to pick one character I'd go with him.
Generalissimo D 08-07-2005 10:36 PM
Willy Wonka. Plain and simple. While not the most complex being ever created, there is a sense of wonderful lunacy that the movies cannot convey. Its something about that prophetic gibberish he says that is so awesome.
Gummibear 08-08-2005 08:54 PM
Scarlett O'Hara- She is a total b***h...simply stated. I read the book eariler this summer out of curiosity and this is a character that if she were real I'd simply revile. But what makes the character so interesting is that while you can come close to hating her you can't help but respect her strengh of character and the fact that she basically had the "gumption" to get whatever she wanted. At the end of the story I found myself almost having pity for her because all along she had made one fatal mistake; she had been loving the wrong man and realized it too late. For her complexity she was is my new favorite character.

I'll think of more later
088nd 08-08-2005 09:19 PM
Karl Rossman - Amerika, by Franz Kafka: Nothing goes his way, but he eventually finds the definition of the American dream, even if it doesn't change him any.
Buck Buck #1 08-08-2005 10:29 PM
Hiro Protagonist from Snowcrash. Not only does he have a rediculously awesome name, he is bad-ass enough to deserve it. Sushi K from the same book is also great, he is a Japanese rapper with a neon orange 'fro. Actually all of the characters in that book are great.
Hienrich Ele 08-08-2005 10:35 PM
Jay Gatsby from The Great Gatsby. Old Sport Rocks!

Woodrow Call from Lonesome Dove. I love his character, which is too much to describe here.

Haulden Caulfield Catcher in the Rye for two reasons. One being because he realizes the futility of his ambitions.

The other, and much better reason, being the clip from the movie "Conspiracy Theory".

"Never?"
Big Money 08-08-2005 10:45 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Commander Bun Bun
Hiro Protagonist from Snowcrash. Not only does he have a rediculously awesome name, he is bad-ass enough to deserve it. Sushi K from the same book is also great, he is a Japanese rapper with a neon orange 'fro. Actually all of the characters in that book are great.

Fish-eyed dude from the same book, along with Uncle Enzo and the Van Guy.
Fish-eyed dude because he's incredibly, incredibly gangsta, Uncle Enzo because, well, he's a pizza mob boss who kicks ass, and Van Guy because he's a brain and some organs in a tube in a van, whose always logged onto virtual internet and has a vietnamese rice plantation in cyberspace.

Zaphod Beeblebrox, because he owns so hard. Ford, too, for the same reason.
pen1300 08-09-2005 08:16 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Big Money
Zaphod Beeblebrox, because he owns so hard. Ford, too, for the same reason.

Totally second Zaphod. He's such a pain, you can't help but love him. LOL.

Let's see, Elizabeth Bennet from Pride and Prejudice. Her spunk and determination was what I liked about her. I should make her a role model now. She was kind of revolutionary as a character. (Pride and Prejudice is 1.) the ultimate romance and 2.) my fave book of all time).

Another good character is Mary Russel from Laurie King's Sherlock series. Again, I love her spunk and her endless knowledge. I kinda want to be her in some ways. Sometimes, you find she's too logical, but then she does something you are rooting for. I just enjoy the books and I enjoy her character.

That's it for now. I'll be back. Books are my life!

Later,
Pen1300
Gummibear 08-09-2005 08:37 PM
^___^Another fave...

Weaverly Jong (Joy Luck Club)- She was a child chess prodigy who later in life becomes a tax attorney. She's vicious and somewhat concieted but her experiances and love for her daughter show a softer side to her. I enjoyed this character's wit and her relationship with her mother.
Redd 08-12-2005 10:33 PM
I think my new favorite character comes from a book I just finished. Sydney Carton, from A Tale of Two Cities. He's an alcoholic who views his life as a failure that will never get better, so he dies for the woman he loves so she can live a happy life with her family. I just loved him! XD Then at the end he sees himself being reborn as her son and living the successful life he never had. But he's the only one that comes to mind so far.
Captain Maw 08-14-2005 12:12 AM
Yossarian-Catch-22: hilarious. slightly crazed. hard to describe why, gotta read to know. or just because i recently read the book...
Darth Nat 08-17-2005 08:50 PM
Rodion Romanovitch Raskolnikov from Crime and Punishment. He's a homicidal Russian maniac. Do I need to say more? He spends most of the book being all angst-filled and psychotic. It's awesome. It's kinda funny just how paranoid he is throughout the book. "OH NO! He picked up his coffee mug and winked at me! HE KNOWS THAT I'M A MURDERER!" Tongue

Ford Prefect is perhaps the greatest character of all time.
Zopwx2 08-17-2005 09:11 PM
YOSSARIAN.
Sharpshooter005 08-20-2005 12:42 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Zopwx2
YOSSARIAN.

Somehow I pictured t-rex from dino comics saying that.

Also, Milo Minderbinder > *
PoptartKing 08-20-2005 04:35 AM
Seconding everyone from Catch 22. I secretly fear that there actually are people who are like those characters.

The famous Don Quixote de La Mancha, the undoer of injustice, the righter of wrongs, the protector of damsels, the terror of giants, and the winner of battles. What's not to love about a delusional knight errant who finds himself in the wrong century?
Darth Nat 08-21-2005 12:10 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Sharpshooter005
Somehow I pictured t-rex from dino comics saying that.

Also, Milo Minderbinder > *

I love Milo. He's one of the most sinisterly humorous characters in existence.
spiked-knives 10-21-2005 03:11 PM
hmmm. well i will have to go with Lestat from the Vampire Chronicles, he just has the whole badass aura about him, and though he is a badass, he still lacks predictiblility.

and though i can not rememer her name, I for some reason enjoyed the protagonist from the short story, Death in the Woods. I mean she had a had a terrible neglectful life, and i just really felt for her, i suppose. I really had a connection there, as korny as that sounds.
X Prime 10-21-2005 03:52 PM
Favorite character...

...I have to go with Darken Rahl from The Sword of Truth: Wizard's First Rule. I dunno why.
The Fallen Phoenix 10-21-2005 04:36 PM
Éponine, Victor Hugo's Les Misérables: ...does this really merit an explanation? Perhaps a personal statement would suffice...

Elphaba, Gregory Maguire's Wicked, the Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West: The Wicked Witch wasn't evil, just misunderstood.

Sméagol, John Ronald Reuel Tolkien's There and Back Again, a Hobbit's Tale and The Lord of the Rings: I have an affinity for misunderstood characters, I suppose. Éowyn the Shield Maiden from The Lord of the Rings also merits some consideration as one of my favorite literary characters.

Zhou Yu, Luo Guanzhong's The Romance of the Three Kingdoms: Again, another misunderstood/tragic figure. Well, somewhat tragic. Granted, the literary Zhou Yu as presented in the novel has some serious faults of his own (like envy) that lead to his demise, but I still find him a rather compelling character nonetheless. And in a novel with an inherent bias against anyone not from the Kingdom of Shu-Han and with (literally) hundreds of characters, that is saying a lot.

As overrated as Zhuge Liang/Kongming is, I have to tip my hat to his literary figure. While greatly exaggerating the historical figure, Luo does fashion a very memorable character one cannot help but cheer for.

Estha and Rahel, Arundhati Roy's The God of Small Things: They are one character, damn it! I absolutely adore the twins: tragic would not begin to describe their lives. Granted, they have some competition from many of the other characters listed in this post...

And anyone who claims Baby Kochamma is not, at the very least, a non-sympathetic character, certainly needs to have his or her head examined.

Ginevra Weasley, J.R. Rowling's Harry Potter series: Ah, a not-so-tragic/misunderstood character at last! Horribly mistreated by some casual fans, though...so I guess she is kind of tragic in that sense...

For the record, I despise the three protagonists in that series. Albus, Severus, Sirius, Remus, and even Tom are all so much more interesting...

Those are the ones I could list off the top of my head, and I know I am leaving a lot of memorable characters out...alas, this list will have to do for now, I suppose.