Favorite Characters

Pygmalion 10-21-2005 10:12 PM
I've had so many favorites, it's hard to narrow the list. Here's a few, though:

Miles Vorkosigan from Lois McMaster Bujold's series of novels starting with The Warrior's Apprentice. Miles is the son of the Regent of Barrayar. He's the grandson of one of the greatest generals in Barrayaran history. Given his background, you'd think he'd be a shoo-in for a military career, but there's one problem. He was exposed to chemicals before birth that left his bones as weak as chalk; this, on a planet where deformity is considered a fatal disease. How Miles copes with this is told with wit, pathos, and a lively storyline that takes him from age 18 (in The Warrior's Apprentice) to over 30 (in Diplomatic Immunity).

Lord Peter Wimsey from the series of mysteries by Dorothy L. Sayers. Starting out as a oddball amateur detective in Whose Body?, Wimsey takes an abrupt turn into three-dimensionality in Strong Poison, when he falls in love with the accused at a murder trial. My favorites are Gaudy Night and Murder Must Advertise for their portrayals of college life and the world of an advertising agency as Sayers knew them.

Will, Lyra, and Mary Malone from Phillip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy. These breathtaking books not only show four very different worlds, connected by the mysterious loss of Dust, they show how a half-wild girl and a boy with a secret turn out to have the pivotal role in saving the universe. I find this a very rich, textured series, well worth rereading.

Pygmalion
Zayne 12-15-2005 04:57 AM
1. Dee Laytner and Ryo McClean -- FAKE
Confused I'm not really sure why, but they're just easy to love.

2. Satoshi Hiwatari -- D N Angel
Pleased I like the boys with brains. Brawn is no good to me.

3. Bryan Kuznetzov -- Beyblade
Drooling I can tell he has a wicked awesome heart, even if he is cold and stoic. It also helps that I think he's really hot.... (see drooling simile)

4. Seto Kaiba -- Yu-Gi-Oh!
Anime Smile I like his conviction and determination and his love for his little brother. And he's hot too....

5. Jaden Yuki -- Yu-Gi-Oh! GX
Happy I like his big heart, the fact that he doesn't easily get discouraged, how fiercely he defends his friend, and that happy-go-lucky attitude of his! He's puppy-cute only, though.... Too bad....

6. Sora, Umi, & Ao -- Grrl Power
Big Grin They're freakin' hilarious!!

Yeah, I'm a bit of a geek if no one's noticed.... Sweatdrop And normally I support the under-dog.... Oh no! I'm not turning into a fangirl, am I?! I'm scared to death of fangirls!! NOOOOO!!
MightyFau 02-14-2006 05:22 PM
Tasslehoff Burrfoot from several Dragonlance books. Hilarious little halfling thief. "Oh, how did your wallet wind up in my pocket? Must have fallen in."
Alexzyuy 03-19-2006 09:57 PM
John Smythe,from the Vicky Bliss novels by Elizabeth Peters: He's sarcastic...and he's a thief.... only some of the reasons why I like to read about him

Rincewind, from the Discworld series: Because all he really wants is an uneventful life, but still manages to run into barbarians, strange tourists, gods, and Death.

Elliott Grosvenor, from The Voyage of the Space Beagle: Why? Because he takes over an entire space ship, by himself. Big Grin
RoseRose 03-20-2006 01:06 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Pygmalion
I've had so many favorites, it's hard to narrow the list. Here's a few, though:

Miles Vorkosigan from Lois McMaster Bujold's series of novels starting with The Warrior's Apprentice. Miles is the son of the Regent of Barrayar. He's the grandson of one of the greatest generals in Barrayaran history. Given his background, you'd think he'd be a shoo-in for a military career, but there's one problem. He was exposed to chemicals before birth that left his bones as weak as chalk; this, on a planet where deformity is considered a fatal disease. How Miles copes with this is told with wit, pathos, and a lively storyline that takes him from age 18 (in The Warrior's Apprentice) to over 30 (in Diplomatic Immunity).

Seconding the Miles Vorkosigan, with an addition: Start with the omnibus Cordelia's Honor containing Shards of Honor and Barryar. This leads me to my OTHER favorite character from this series, Cordelia Naismith Vorkosigan. She's the main character of those two books, and she's an AMAZING woman. Also, in Barryar there's a scene that leads to a nice joke in A Civil Campaign. Also, Cazaril, from Curse of Chalion by the same author. A funny tale, with well-developed characters, though the sequal isn't as good.
Sharpshooter005 03-20-2006 01:29 AM
quote:
I'm not turning into a fangirl, am I?!

Stage 1 is a mild flu, you'll think it was something you ate.

Stage 2 is something like pneumonia, but with intense headaches. This is your brain adjusting itself to recieve and transmit incredibly high pitch sound waves, which is how that species communicates.

Stage 3 hits you like a ton of bricks. You'll develop an insatiable craving for bone marrow, furthermore you'll notice you no longer see colors in the visible spectrum, but rather in complete infared.

At stage 4, you begin writing slash fanfic. It starts off casually, but soon you're doing it in your sleep. If you wake up next to a stack of papers, you know stage 5 is next.

Stage 5 is when the higher brain functions cease. You are now one of them.

There are only two known cures. Ingesting large quantities of molten zinc, or killing the original fangirl. These are usually protected by six to seven of their kind. The head is your target, once you destroy the brain of the leader the rest of the swarm falls.

At least thats what the doctors say...or...this guy on a street corner who said he was a doctor anyway, he had a sign talking about the world ending which I think was a degree from Johns Hopkins.

Oh right, Heathcliff from Wuthering Heights. Sort of an evil genius, but with land-swindling instead of a subterranian death ray.

quote:
*Yoinks Sharp's Stages of Fangirlism and spreads it around*

As they say on the billboards and the teevee, "the know is spreading"
X Prime 03-20-2006 01:40 AM

*Yoinks Sharp's Stages of Fangirlism and spreads it around*

Hope ya don't mind.

---

I figured out why I like Darken Rahl so much. So deliciously twisted.
Inigo Montoya 03-20-2006 06:18 AM
quote:
Originally posted by MightyFau
Tasslehoff Burrfoot from several Dragonlance books. Hilarious little halfling thief. "Oh, how did your wallet wind up in my pocket? Must have fallen in."

Most definitely. Raistlin, of course (same series). He's a completely relatable character. I admire his ambition and willingness to do anything, destroy anyone to overcome the frailty of his body. And Fizban, the eternal Grandfather figure.
M.S. Feather 03-20-2006 01:33 PM
Wow, let's see...

The Narrator- The main character in Chuck Palahniuk's Fight Club. A very dark but humorous story about a man who is unhappy with his life and has a chance meeting with someone that changes it forever, Tyler Durden. In the beginning Tyler is the antithesis of the Narrator (who remains nameless) but as the story progresses we see his personality change and become something a little more befitting of Tyler only to be violently jerked back into reality near the end of the novel. I felt a lot more sympathetic towards his character during the end of the book than the film, though it's not just the character himself but the inner struggle he faces throughout the story that makes him so intriguing.

Arsène Lupin- Maurice LeBlanc's gentleman thief. Now that I've read a few of the novels I have to say that I enjoy them even more than Doyle's Sherlock Holmes mysteries. M. Lupin is infinitely more amusing and charismatic than Holmes (who in the novels has been Lupin's rival on more than one occasion) could ever be. His intellect at times borders on the supernatural, as though he's so sure of himself at times that things seem to happen "simply because Lupin wills it so". Sometimes it almost feels like LeBlanc wrote monsieur Lupin as an early blueprint for your average modern day superhero (minus the tights and x-ray vision) and despite his flaws, in the end Arsène Lupin will always prevail.

Don Quixote- I still think of Don Quixote as one of the best written characters in literary history. All the Shakespearian fanboys and girls can keep their Hamlet's and Romeo's, I’ll take the crazy old man with a dream.

Piter de Vries- A twisted mentat-assassin who served under the wicked Baron Harkonnen in Frank Herbert's Dune. There were tons of wonderful characters in the Dune novels and out of them all I happened to fall for this psychopath. I think I've always had kind of a soft spot for henchmen and Piter was one of the best. On the other side of the spectrum, I thought Duncan Idaho and all of his ghola incarnations were also very cool, though he barely held a light to Piter in my opinion.

That's all I can name off the top of my head.
Chitter-Box-Kat 03-27-2006 08:09 PM
OOH! Favorite book characters! Big Grin I have plenty! Pleased But for now I'll post three:

Howl from Howl's Moving Castle by Dianna Wyne Jones because he can be a coward, a fighter, a top noch wizard, and a getleman lover-boy at the same time! Any character who can multi-task like that is cool. Cool

Also Artemis Fowl from Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer becasue...well... he looks like a vampire, he's a genious, and I like loner types like him. Tongue

The final favorite on this reply is Maniac Magee from Maniac Magee by Jerry Spinneli. This kid is a bonified maniac. I can't even begin to tell ya why. Just read the book and figure it out. Roll Eyes
Chitter-Box-Kat 04-30-2006 09:53 PM
Christopher Carrion from "Abarat" by Clive Barker.
Diverse Considerations 04-30-2006 10:09 PM
Nicolai Hel, from Shibumi by Trevenian.

This guy kicks ass. He is an international assassin with morals, expert in the use of just about every weapon known to man, can kill a man using common household objects (pencil, newspaper, etc.), has a proximity sense that allows him to feel where people are in total darkness, speaks five languages including Basque, and is an expert spelunker. His voice never rises above a whisper because he was once imprisoned for a long time and never had to speak louder than that.

And he also lives in a castle and has a concubine, whom he respects and eventually buys and marries.

He also throws rocks at Volvos. He doesn't like them.