Anyone for Marching Band music?

evanASF27 08-05-2005 05:02 PM
I know there are a few musicians out there, and hopefully a couple that have played in their school band at football games with the pep band or marching band...or something.

I've been looking at the www.jwpepper.com site for some time, and I just can't get enough of their new marching band selections. Big Grin And so I dare ask the ever present question:
What marching band music do you like to play/would like to play??
Big Grin Cool Big Grin Cool Big Grin Cool Big Grin Cool Big Grin Cool Big Grin Cool Big Grin Cool Big Grin

My favorites for playing are "Wipe Out", "Sweet Home Alabama", "Rawhide", "The Lion Sleeps Tonight", and "Louie Louie". What I reeeaallly wanna play are "Rubberband Man", "Proud Mary", "Magnificent Seven" and a really awesome version of "Stars & Stripes Forever" called "Our National March"
Big Money 08-05-2005 05:07 PM
Rubberband Man = Yes. And not the T.I. version. That would so own, so very very much the own...

We... basically write our own stand music, so we (low brass, I mean) are working on an arrangement of "The Lion Sleeps Tonight."

We are playing music from La Nouba, a Cirque du Soleil show that the do at some Disney park, though the ideal show would be some older Michael Jackson stuff, like Thriller or something.

That or early Nintendo themes.
NVWC2006 08-05-2005 07:36 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Big Money
Rubberband Man = Yes. And not the T.I. version. That would so own, so very very much the own...

We... basically write our own stand music, so we (low brass, I mean) are working on an arrangement of "The Lion Sleeps Tonight."

We are playing music from La Nouba, a Cirque du Soleil show that the do at some Disney park, though the ideal show would be some older Michael Jackson stuff, like Thriller or something.

That or early Nintendo themes.

We are playing The Lion Sleeps Tonight as part of I think our first halftime show, this year.

I arranged a Metroid marching band song as part of an honors band project, and my teacher said we could play it, but I'm not so sure we are going to anymore *shrug*.

Also, alot of our music comes from The Arranger's Publishing Company. You can listen to previews of like all the songs they have there.

My favorite marching songs are those w/a fast beat that seem to be a driving force. Examples of this can be famous songs like Maleguena or Sing, Sing, Sing. Songs we have played (on the field or in the stands) that the arrangement at least, was fast and strong, include Respect, Hush, Gimme' Some Lovin', The Race, Maleguena, Santana (see the link above, you can find a preview there, since this is an original song, not an arrangement), Mr. Roboto, Mambo (from West Side Story), and anything I can't remember.

To go with what we ARE playing, I posted that in the 'What is your school band playing' thread but i can repost it here, too.

Pregame:
Aliens
Fight Song
Alma Mater
Patriots on Parade
Star Spangled Banner
Fight Song

Show 1:
You Keep Me Hanging On
The Lion Sleeps Tonight
Devil With the Blue Dress
When a Man Loves a Woman

Show 2:
Karn Evil 9
I can see for Miles
Takin' It To The Streets

Stand Tunes
Blister in The Sun
Cheer Jerkers
Hey Baby
Hey Song
Jockamo
Land of 1000 Dnaces
Little Bitty Pretty One
Maximum Strength Warmup
The Race

And, we'll have more songs, for probably 2 or 3 more shows, and in the stands. If you want my Metroid arrangement, Brinstar Overworld, I can send you a MIDI, a NoteWorthy Composer file (all in concert keys), or a Finale Composer file (ready for printing, but percussion MIDI doesn't play on speakers correctly).
Travis Bickle 08-05-2005 10:43 PM
Good old JW Pepper. I helped write a few sax and snare drum parts for one overture with my band director. You won't find my name there, but you'll find his. Good stuff.