Thoughts about the series, and a question.

evanASF27 08-05-2005 04:44 PM
Okay my little mind has been thinking as if this were Big O Season2 (again)...and I've been thinking about some aspects of the series which make me wonder just "where" and "when" the setting is (ignoring flashbacks) and what it could be related to in real life.

The first trend I caught onto (which I think most will agree with me on) is the European-ish (possibly semi-Victorian?) style of the military and the buildings around the big cities. I see a blatent German reference with the "furher", and even more-so with their railways (the locomotives appear to be remenisant of a German design and the coaches are corridor styles that remind me of British/German designs that I've seen).

Another trend I seem to see is the struggle of the goverment vs people. I sense that the actions of the government are somewhat based on the British Empire: the Ishbal Massacre (it reminded of me of when the Brits were in control of India and they then lost control), the (first?) town Ed liberated by swindling the corrupt officer in charge of the mine (possible reference to Britain and the American Colonies).

The third trend, that I wish to mention anyway, is the music. I listen to the very moving song "Brothers" (From the FMA OST...or one of them...) and I imagine at first that it's almost a hymn-like song sung in France or Germany...but then I change my perspective when listening, and I can almost picture it being a twisted childlike song for a cult O_o;; (almost Midsummer Night's Dream or Crucible in nature). The "tension/suspense music" also seem strange (well the ones I've heard). "Ominous Clouds" I can almost imagine playing in Big O's "Missing Cat" episode during the labratory scene. "Infiltration" has an almost 'evil-carnival' feel to it O.O;; I haven't heard all of the soundtrack yet (anyone wanna link me to a place that sells them cheap?) but from what I gather, the music is also in a very Western style.

In conclusion...why the heck am I stating some obvious things like "it's clearly Western"?! Here's my point, which is also somewhat of a question. The Big O was a very Western anime (what with NYC, the Military Police, and all) and for all intents and purposes it wasn't a terribly spectacular hit in Japan because it was so unlike many of the Japanese oriented shows (even though there were other factors at work). So, I'm stuck wondering...were they able to pull off a good mix of classic anime style (facefaults, chibi-faces on Al, etc.) and Western themes, or is there more reasons why this caught on better than another clearly Western show (The Big O)??
Krang 08-07-2005 01:45 AM
quote:
Originally posted by evanASF27
Okay my little mind has been thinking as if this were Big O Season2 (again)...and I've been thinking about some aspects of the series which make me wonder just "where" and "when" the setting is (ignoring flashbacks) and what it could be related to in real life.

Both of those are answered later in the series and actually play an important part in the storyline, so you'll find out eventually. Wink

quote:
In conclusion...why the heck am I stating some obvious things like "it's clearly Western"?! Here's my point, which is also somewhat of a question. The Big O was a very Western anime (what with NYC, the Military Police, and all) and for all intents and purposes it wasn't a terribly spectacular hit in Japan because it was so unlike many of the Japanese oriented shows (even though there were other factors at work). So, I'm stuck wondering...were they able to pull off a good mix of classic anime style (facefaults, chibi-faces on Al, etc.) and Western themes, or is there more reasons why this caught on better than another clearly Western show (The Big O)??

I think the reason that Big O was not popular in Japan was not only the Western themes, but also the fact that at first glance, it looks like a typical giant robot show (even though it is definitely not), and there are already many of those in Japan (especially considering that there are probably many that were not licensed). Additionally, it only aired on lesser known channels rather than big channels such as Fuji TV or TV Tokyo. FMA has a unique theme and setting that may have worked better to draw in viewers.
dominusofdeath 08-07-2005 02:11 AM
My only problems with FMA.

I HATE Envy.

spoiler (highlight to read):
THE ENDING SUCKS!
Hughes dies!
The movie SUCKS!
Those 2 Special Op Chimera's that were with Greed get eaten.
Marcoh gets eaten.
Havoc never gets a girlfriend.
Scar dies.

Mostly the end.
Raven 08-10-2005 12:27 AM
quote:
Originally posted by DominusofDeath

I HATE Envy.

THE ENDING SUCKS!
Hughes dies!
The movie SUCKS!
Marcoh gets eaten.
Scar dies.

Mostly the end.

I'm so happy to hear that final spoiler. Watching him die will almost be as satisfying as when the Iron Blood Alchemist got it near the beginning of the series.
dominusofdeath 08-10-2005 11:42 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Raven
quote:
Originally posted by DominusofDeath

I HATE Envy.

THE ENDING SUCKS!
Hughes dies!
The movie SUCKS!
Marcoh gets eaten.
Scar dies.

Mostly the end.

I'm so happy to hear that final spoiler. Watching him die will almost be as satisfying as when the Iron Blood Alchemist got it near the beginning of the series.

Oh snap! It doesnt show hsi death really.