John (Cougar) Mellencamp

NightRanger 08-02-2005 09:55 PM
I remember when I was a little boy, I heard John (Cougar) Mellencamp's album "Scarecrow", and I thought it was so cool. I became obsessed with him and the album. By the early or mid 90s, I had grown out of him, but I've recently been getting back into his stuff again. It all started like last month (If I remember correctly), when I was in my room and her my mother listening to "Cherry Bomb" all the way from her office. I guess I got curious about the song a day or so later. Then that's how I got hooked again. Plus this album

is a magnificent album. Never a dull moment on it. It's also one of those albums I own in all three formats (CD, Cassette and LP). Anyway, my favorite JCM songs are:

Small Town
Lonely Ol' Night
Justice And Independence '85
Rumbleseat
R-O-C-K In The U.S.A.
Cherry Bomb
Paper In Fire
Check It Out
Hard Times For An Honest Man
Pop Singer
Jackie Brown
Mike 08-02-2005 10:18 PM
Jack And Diane is a good song. Too bad Jessica Simpson shamelessly ripped it off.

Goddamn Z100, they played Jack And Diane, then one DJ went "Durrr, that soundeses like dat Jessica Simpson song!!!!!oneone"

Goddamn MTV.
NightRanger 08-02-2005 10:19 PM
quote:
Originally posted by GAT-X105
Jack And Diane is a good song. Too bad Jessica Simpson shamelessly ripped it off.

Goddamn Z100, they played Jack And Diane, then one DJ went "Durrr, that soundeses like dat Jessica Simpson song!!!!!oneone"

Goddamn MTV.

That's sad indeed....
Travis Bickle 08-02-2005 10:33 PM
Jack and Diane was never really that good. It's like, "Hey, let's play the same riff over and over again with claps in the background." Sure, that could be said with a few other songs, but still. It never really caught on to me, and I heard it way too many times.

For the recrods, I don't like Bon Jovi either.

Not my bag.

But I'll respect your opinion.
StevieV019 08-04-2005 11:27 AM
Bon Jovi and Mellencamp...yeah, I can see the similiarities and comparisons. Jack and Diane is one of those songs where you hear it on the radio and it brings back memories of when it was popular...and it leads to a conversation about music. Other than that, being a great song or what not, I wouldnt say great, but I wouldnt necessarily change the station if it were on...unless something better was on.

Bon Jovi, sorry, I like them, Richie Sambora can hit it on the guitar, yeah, it was during the hair band days, but his riffs on Livin' on a Prayer is classic work. I think their time has come though...and their legacy will live on...but they dont belong (in my opinion) amongst the legends of rock (ooooh, I may have started something...)...The same can be said for Mellencamp too.