[Question] You think it's time for a change of focus?

Mr. Fortnight 07-27-2005 04:29 PM
I've been thinking about this, but I think it might be time to at least have the forums change from a Big-O themed paradigm (no pun intended), to more of an Adult Swim focussed forum?

Big O for the most part is dying down, with the chances of a third season becoming slimmer. So, perhaps it's time, to keep the forums humming, to have a wider focus?

This IS the perfect time to do so.
Travis Bickle 07-27-2005 06:10 PM
Well, there's no other forum on the internet for The Big O, so why not be unique?

There are forums for all these dead topics that still exist. Let's throw out some examples:

-old movies
-old TV shows
-famous dead musicians
-videogames that nobody ever played and will never make a sequel to

There are many Adult Swim forums and only one Big O fourm. So do we stay unique or do we follow the croud?

We have choices. Some people like to stand in the rain without an umbrella. That's what it means to live free.

I think, in regards to staying unique, the majority of us fit into that slot. Why change what makes us so unique? If you don't like it, then go to the Adult Swim fourms. Otherwise, don't make that big a deal about it.
088nd 07-27-2005 06:11 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Bleedthrough
If you don't like it, then go to the Adult Swim fourms. Otherwise, don't make that big a deal about it.

My sentiments exactly.
Zopwx2 07-27-2005 06:50 PM
quote:
Originally posted by 088nd
quote:
Originally posted by Bleedthrough
If you don't like it, then go to the Adult Swim fourms. Otherwise, don't make that big a deal about it.

My sentiments exactly.

Winnar.

Anyway.

The Smith Mansion will never die dammit.

I mean one of the main reasons this forum became so big was because of PC.com, possibly the only decent big o website. And naturally people wanted to disscuss it outside of the shithole that is the AS forums. PCF is like a complete polar opposite.

I was under the impression that somewhere down the line K&S would repeat their success and that they were going to create a FMA and/or Champloo website in the same way they made Paradigm-City, and that FMA/Champloo fans would refill the boards. With common ground in the speakeasy forums.

And as a side effect they might also check out The Great Big Oh.
pen1300 07-27-2005 07:42 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Zopwx2
The Smith Mansion will never die dammit.

LOL, it surprises me that after two years (has it been two years or longer?) the forum is still active. There is a need for just a Big O oriented forum and site.

As others say there are other Adult Swim oriented boards and the official one. There are very few that support Big O any more (because the AS people and other TV watchers bash the heck out of it).

We need a safe place for Big O fans to run to, to be comforted, and know that their obsession with a show that can reach many levels is ok.

Ultimately, it's up to the Admins, but I think the way the forum is, is just fine. Big Grin

Oh, and I suggest adding a poll to this thread. I'd like to see poll results. Big Grin

Later,
Pen1300
Krang 07-27-2005 08:54 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Ensign Minneapolis
I've been thinking about this, but I think it might be time to at least have the forums change from a Big-O themed paradigm (no pun intended), to more of an Adult Swim focussed forum?

Big O for the most part is dying down, with the chances of a third season becoming slimmer. So, perhaps it's time, to keep the forums humming, to have a wider focus?

This IS the perfect time to do so.

We may add focuses to the forums from time to time (such as FMA and SC), but I don't think there is a need to change our main focus. As others have said, there are many Adult Swim forums out there, but there are very few that focus specifically on Big O, and as long as there are still things to discuss, we will still be there to provide a place to discuss them.

quote:
Originally posted by Zopwx2
I was under the impression that somewhere down the line K&S would repeat their success and that they were going to create a FMA and/or Champloo website in the same way they made Paradigm-City, and that FMA/Champloo fans would refill the boards. With common ground in the speakeasy forums.

And as a side effect they might also check out The Great Big Oh.

Good idea, and that may be a possibility in the future, but first we need to concentrate our focus on catching up with the updates to this site. Embarrassed Sweatdrop FMA and SC seem to be pretty well-covered as far as English fan sites go, but there are other series that are lacking in that area...

quote:
Originally posted by pen1300
Oh, and I suggest adding a poll to this thread. I'd like to see poll results. Big Grin

Sure, we can give it a try. Smile
Mr. Fortnight 07-27-2005 08:56 PM
That's what I wanted to hear. This was simply a question, not a request or demand.

Simply put, I was wondering if it was indeed time to diversify. Since it seems otherwise, *shrugs* let the good times roll.
StevieV019 07-29-2005 07:43 AM
Leave it the way it is...

One thing that seems to fall by the wayside is this: Tradition and respect for what got you to where you are.

What made the forum's existence in the first place? The Big O and fans of The Big O. Tradition is something that should be celebrated and respected. Why do we all have turkey (or whatever you all eat) on Thanksgiving? Tradition and tradition alone. That and respect for what was created and celebrated. The celebration of the idea is what makes the forum what it is. Not the fact that there's a long ago finished tv show.

Plain and simple...leave it...and the results of the poll pretty much prove this too.
Sharpshooter005 07-29-2005 08:30 AM
quote:
Why do we all have turkey (or whatever you all eat) on Thanksgiving?

This reminds me of my ill-concieved plan to create a home made "truth serum" using a mixture of tryptophan and lemon fresh pine sol.

It's not past the prototype stage yet.

Also it'll shift away on its own, if and when it wants to. Unless...you want to change THE NAME, which is kind of pointless.
Pero_Is_Crying 07-29-2005 10:34 AM
Stop me if you've heard this one before-- If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Big Grin
Captain Maw 07-29-2005 10:37 AM
haha, your on to something sharpshooter.
as for changing it... well, I don't mind at all. really up to the admins, and co.
Mr. Fortnight 08-08-2005 04:03 PM
Well, I just proposed this because we do seem to be spreading out into other areas of Adult Swim Action's different showings. There would still be a place for The Big O in my idea, but it would share with it's fellow Action luminaries, like Full Metal, Samurai Champloo, and whichever else gets popular enough to warrant a seperate category.

It's just in my view, diversification is a good thing. Taking a focus more on the larger [AS] block would keep members around.
Dude Love 08-08-2005 08:12 PM
Well, remember, there's always Ailesberry. Back when Witch Hunter Robin was popular, it had a stickied thread dedicated to it.

Diversification is why we have general forums like Ailesberry and The Speakeasy. They're always useful for diversity.