[Suggestion] Close the Speakeasy!

Mr. Fortnight 07-27-2005 04:19 PM
Yep, I think it's time that the general conversation part of the Speakeasy needs to be closed for good.

Keep the more specific conversation threads (Goldwin, Pool Hall, Etc...) Going because they're specific, but the speakeasy's general conversation threads lately have been becoming spamified and are growing MORE HOSTILE.

If people want to talk about stuff, and spam, take it to the section where posts don't count.

This don't feel like the PCF I joined.

(And yes, I fully expect this thread to get downrated, but if you're going to downrate this. At least post a good reason why my logic is flawed regarding this and ONLY this.)
Dingo 07-27-2005 04:46 PM
Why close it? Some people may actually start posting spam in other sections.

Then we would have topics everywhere starting with "I know the speakeasy is closed and all but..." or, "Cause there's nowhere else to post this"

And what does this say?

Talk about anything that doesn't belong in the other forums here.

If anything, the topics belong there.

I agree the the spam is getting to be a little to much, and this doesn't feel like the PCF you or I joined, but things change. You just have to get used to it.
088nd 07-27-2005 04:54 PM
That's a little bit extreme. Why not just tighter restrictions on spamming? Or maybe closer watch on people who are notorious for spamming? There's more solutions than just shutting the thing down. The amount of spam really ticks me off, and so do people's knee-jerk reactions to the people who try to call it out. People should be allowed to criticize others' spam posts, as they waste space and don't add anything.
Generalissimo D 07-27-2005 06:16 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Ensign Minneapolis
Yep, I think it's time that the general conversation part of the Speakeasy needs to be closed for good.

Keep the more specific conversation threads (Goldwin, Pool Hall, Etc...) Going because they're specific, but the speakeasy's general conversation threads lately have been becoming spamified and are growing MORE HOSTILE.

If people want to talk about stuff, and spam, take it to the section where posts don't count.

This don't feel like the PCF I joined.

(And yes, I fully expect this thread to get downrated, but if you're going to downrate this. At least post a good reason why my logic is flawed regarding this and ONLY this.)

Hmm. You know, it seems my theory is correct. What exactly drove you to such anger-driven extreme? Bad day at work? Relationships not turn out so good? So-and-so said something bad? Doesnt matter.

I really havent seen you before. I noticed you mostly keep to the MFL, which is alright. I myself have the tendancy to keep away from Central City. Dude, if you got a problem with it. Fine. Just keep away. Dont go asking for whole BOARD to be closed.

Dingo brought up a good argument. the "Cause theres no where else to post this" threads are going to appear. And since you'll probably brand it as SPAM, we cant have that.

What does it SAY?

Now. 088nd brought up a good solution. The irony I thinks. Negotiator_Roger_Smith, for all his good intentions, just copy and paste's random article he finds. He is a good influx of spam. Hell, it doesnt help that everyone has been riled up lately. Must be a full moon. Anyway, we have to try to control it, not simply sever it. Is a weak infection worse amputating your dominant arm?

Now the irony is this:
Almasy and 088nd post similarly. Just short bursts. The difference is Almasy doesnt hang about the forums so much, and infact rarely posts anymore. Nor does he have reason too, since he has long since achieved forum vet status.
088nd however is here much more and does so, mostly what ACT dubbed "meta-spam". Bleedthrough also attempt at trying to judge and act in a vigilante like fashion. But he at least is trying to help grease the forum along.Even if he is a tad aggravating

I think instead of closing the board, we should add another specification.

I finally think is about time we opened a political/news board.
Travis Bickle 07-27-2005 06:35 PM
God damn it, D-Boy. You're on a roll today. Despite your ill opinon of me and a few mistakes in the absolute truth, andI think you actually make some sense! Who knew? Confused

Dearest Ensign, I'll tell you why I rated this thread a 1.

It seems that both myself and pretty much everyone else don't agree with you. Simple, right?

The Speakeasy is pretty much the heart of the forum (with Krang being the brain Big Grin ). Take away the heart and the forum is dead. Is this comparison wacky or reasonable? Let's let the people decide.

We all have roles in here. Some people just like to argue with others. Some people have radical ideas that nobody gives a hoot about. Some people just want to come here and have a wonderful experience where they can just say a few things without getting caught in the crossfire. There are plenty more reasons that people come on here and post, but I don't have time to write them all down, and there's a charachter limit on each post that would restrict it.

I, for one, just come here to pass the time. But I speak my mind and I have the balls to say things that most people wouldn't dare say (which I've been told is frowned upon and can get me in trouble).I don't consider myself a rebel. I consider myself an asshole who strongly upholds his own opinons and beliefs while listening to others' (which, for the majority of the time, do not fall on deaf ears). Can I be nice? Sure. I'm a decent person once you get to know me. I know a lot of people on here have a terrible opinion of me because some of my words and methods are unsound, but I really don't give a hoot (them being other bored people sitting in front of a computer screen that I hopefully would never meet in the real world). However, there comes a time and a place where I feel something needs to be said, and I say it. On here, the Speakeasy is pretty much my vessel for all of that jibber-jabber, as it is for everyone else.

So before you post some idea that will have everyone pretty much lash out against you, you might want to think on it instead of acting on impulse.

That's pretty much all I have to say about that.
-Scott

Oh, and Ensign: It seems that you have a general discussion sub-forum on your forums. You might want to close that before suggesting anything...

Just a humble suggestion from a mild-mannered New Yorker currently residing in Florida...
Generalissimo D 07-27-2005 06:50 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Bleedthrough
God damn it, D-Boy. You're on a roll today. Despite your ill opinon of me, I think you actually make some sense! Who knew? Confused

I try to move on. Lets all do the same. I know my current avatar doesnt help this seem anymore serious, but whatever.

quote:

Oh, and Ensign: It seems that you have a general discussion sub-forum on your forums. You might want to close that before suggesting anything...

Well...take a look at this.

His forums are very low traffic as far as general conversation is concerned. Therefore he has no worries on his end.

In other news:
I rated this a 10. Why? Accident? No. I rated it because this is a fine example of what a good place this is. A good forum. Infact, this represents the very trait of America that has many people coming here. The fact you can say this and not have the mods ban you for heresy. Doesnt it make you feel patriotic.

One of the best posts here:
Close B-day threads a week after the Birthday(s)?

God bless PCF.

Edit: On the Negotiator_Roger_Smith thing...type his name into the search and check the "only threads started by this user" box.
Sharpshooter005 07-27-2005 07:28 PM
quote:
the speakeasy's general conversation threads lately have been becoming spamified and are growing MORE HOSTILE.

...Compared to WHAT.

Really even when they DO get hostile, they're a gigantic leap from how hostile I've seen discussions get (both in reality, and on the digitized mass of hostility known as the internet.)

If you close general discussion, you're not..really left with a ton. Considering thats, naturally, the bulk of things.
Travis Bickle 07-27-2005 07:41 PM
quote:
Originally posted by D-Boy
Edit: On the Negotiator_Roger_Smith thing...type his name into the search and check the "only threads started by this user" box.

Though I happen to agree, let's not go pointing fingers (which you've done quite a bit in the thread). I personally suggest (and I'm not trying to be a mod here, Shaoblane) you take it up with the higher-ups. Or just make vague statements that other people are spamming the hell out of the board and serve no purpose whatsoever.

So with all of this to an abrupt end, what counter-argument might you have, Ensign? I'm quite eager to hear it, since you only briefly stated yoru stance on this inane idea.
088nd 07-27-2005 08:04 PM
quote:
Originally posted by D-Boy
Now the irony is this:
Almasy and 088nd post similarly. Just short bursts. The difference is Almasy doesnt hang about the forums so much, and infact rarely posts anymore. Nor does he have reason too, since he has long since achieved forum vet status.
088nd however is here much more and does so, mostly what ACT dubbed "meta-spam". Bleedthrough also attempt at trying to judge and act in a vigilante like fashion. But he at least is trying to help grease the forum along.Even if he is a tad aggravating

I happen to disagree with you. I don't want to break rule #12, but I'll just say that any comparison between my posts and Almasy's posts is based on length alone. I think you're equating spam with brevity, which is obviously not the case. Hopefully I'll be able to discuss this with you on IRC or AIM one time, because I'd really like to defend myself against an accusation.

And I echo Scott's message to Ensign.
pen1300 07-27-2005 08:04 PM
1.) Is it the heat? (I'm REALLY hot and I don't have air conditioning and I really can't cool down my room for some reason...) So if it's the heat, I can totally understand...

2.) EDIT: This is a general warning, but please stop pointing fingers, mentioning members who spam, or disrespect a member. Attacking members is against da rules (Numbah 2) and I say it now and again, mention one more member who is spamming/ point a finger (or something else that can be taken as harassment) and you will be warned.

3.) Closing The Speakeasy will accomplish nothing. Spam will only turn around and trickle to other parts of the forum and then you would be asking for THAT forum to be closed, in turn, leading to half the forum gone. It won't work. I agree, The Speakeasy is probably more spammed than anything, but closing it would not be the answer. Also, The Speakeasy is there for general discussion (which makes defining spam harder). I really can't add anything else to the discussion that others have added.

Later,
Pen1300

EDIT: Fixed number 2 so it seemed nicer. It's way too hot...
Mr. Fortnight 07-27-2005 08:52 PM
You know what, I didn't post this to be directly attacked.

Since I've been too buried with posts to retort without writing enough to cause the response of tl;dr

I'm just going to say lock this thread.
Krang 07-27-2005 09:12 PM
quote:

There's not much I can add that others haven't already covered, but I personally don't think there is a reason to close the Speakeasy. Last year at The Technodrome, things got so bad on the general discussion forum there that it really did have to be closed, so a little spam and two or three threads where people are arguing is nothing in comparison to that. I'll also add that I more actively moderate these forums than The Technodrome, so I won't ever let the Speakeasy get that bad. Just give the moderators and I a chance, and we'll try our best to get things straightened out and back on track.

quote:
Originally posted by Dingo
Then we would have topics everywhere starting with "I know the speakeasy is closed and all but..." or, "Cause there's nowhere else to post this"

Yes, based on what happened at The Technodrome, that can and will happen.

quote:
Originally posted by pen1300
2.) EDIT: This is a general warning, but please stop pointing fingers, mentioning members who spam, or disrespect a member. Attacking members is against da rules (Numbah 2) and I say it now and again, mention one more member who is spamming/ point a finger (or something else that can be taken as harassment) and you will be warned.

Exactly. While what they're doing may be annoying or may break the rules, please don't point fingers in public. Instead, report it to a mod or admin, and we will handle the problem privately.

quote:
I'm just going to say lock this thread.

Ok, I'll take care of that.