Noir

Asirt 07-26-2005 07:57 PM

Other -

I've heard about Noir for a while now; looking through pictures and info on the Internet. I didn't actually get to see it until ADV was showing it on Anime Network On Demand. I saw the first 12 episodes, and I really liked what I saw. In fact, a month after I first started watching Noir I bought the complete collection to finish the series. I just finished watching the entire series last night, and I must say that it ended pretty well. There were a lot of nice fighting scenes, and I liked how everything turned out. The music was another reason why I liked the series. A lot of the music adds to the series, and are just good to listen to in general.

The only thing I didn't really like about Noir was the fact that during the first few episodes (and a little throughout the series), there were a lot of flashback scenes. I understand that they were of importance to later episodes, but I thought it got to a point where it was too much. It didn't really ruin the series, though. Other than that, i thought it was a great series. My favorite character is Kirika, because of how quiet and mysterious she is. Of course, all the main characters were pretty mysterious to me. I also liked the 'easter eggs' that came with the DVDs as well (especially the sock puppets, which is my current sig and avatar). Overall, a great action series.

Has anyone else seen the series, and what are your thoughts about it? I'm curious as to who has seen Noir.
Travis Bickle 07-26-2005 08:57 PM
A friend of mine told me that it was awesome.

I guess I might as well check into it.
Tickle Tickle 07-26-2005 09:14 PM
I saw some of it. It's pretty good. I love the animation and music.
David Ryder 07-27-2005 01:02 AM
it's an ok show I suppose. music's nice. dub is standard ADV averageness.
StevieV019 07-27-2005 07:07 AM
Ive seen it...own the whole series on DVD. Its good stuff. Its pretty action oriented and the two female assassins produce some interesting scenes. The music is first rate in my opinion. Its probably my favorite series after Cowboy Bebop and The Big O. The Soldats remind me of the Knights of Templar, Illuminati, and Free Masons. They hide their own secret (like the above mentioned cult groups) and have connect to the storyline pretty well.

Everytime I go back and re-evaluate the series, I think, yep, its a keeper. I have yet to see gunplay action as good as what Ive seen in Noir (except for maybe the few times in Cowboy Bebop). It can be a little slow at times, connecting the story together, not because its complicated but because its pretty dramatic. The series is 26 episodes, but they probably couldve wrapped it all up in about 21 or 22. Not bad, most of the time the pacing is done well. Again, the music and gunplay in each episode carry you through the slow parts.

I wouldnt say the art and dub is anything spectacular, but the music blend and how it fits the story and action I think is superb. Definitely fitting for the series. I enjoyed it a lot, and recommend it to anybody thats into Hong Kong action movies and what not.
Sharpshooter005 07-27-2005 08:23 AM
Really, it's kind of surprising and upsetting nobody made a thread about this show ages ago. I'm glad thats been rectified.

I've seen it all, but only have one of the dvds so far...SOCK PUPPETS? Wow..just...wow

If you enjoyed Noir, I reccomend Madlax, which is very similar down to almost recycling the character designs. Theres one character in there who literally looks exactly like chloe, just with longer hair and a military uniform. Oh, and a sniper rifle instead of pinpoint accuracy throwing knives.
Asirt 07-27-2005 11:38 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Sharpshooter005
SOCK PUPPETS? Wow..just...wow

Yeah. It's a really funny story that ADV decided to make. It's my favorite 'easter egg' out of all of them in the DVDs. For those who haven't found them yet, search about the Internet. There are a few sites that tell you how to gain access to those 'easter eggs' (such as this site).

quote:
It can be a little slow at times, connecting the story together, not because its complicated but because its pretty dramatic. The series is 26 episodes, but they probably could've wrapped it all up in about 21 or 22. Not bad, most of the time the pacing is done well.

I thought that, too. It could've ended with fewer episodes, but it wasn't so slow that it bored me. If anything, the music and the action pretty much got me into Noir. My favorite songs are salba nos, At Dusk, A Farewell Song, and canta per me. Very nice songs to listen to, in my opinion.

I'll have to look into Madlax, seeing as it's from the same people who did Noir. The two main characters kind of look the same, though. Wink
Sharpshooter005 07-27-2005 01:28 PM
Sadly, I'd give them money for that dvd..just for the 8 minute sock puppet short.

This is how good that show was.

(Or if it was somehow on the internet by now.)
StevieV019 07-27-2005 02:27 PM
quote:
If you enjoyed Noir, I reccomend Madlax, which is very similar down to almost recycling the character designs. Theres one character in there who literally looks exactly like chloe, just with longer hair and a military uniform. Oh, and a sniper rifle instead of pinpoint accuracy throwing knives.

Yeah, I saw the dvds for Madlax...and it looked EXACTLY like Noir...so I looked away and didnt buy them. Whats the point if its the same thing? Noir is really good though...
BabyGhia 07-28-2005 08:42 PM
I, also, just recently finished Noir and bought the boxset. Yes, they could have finished the show in a lot less episode but I liked it. It's a bit more "serious" than most anime I watch. But perhaps thats what I like about it. Music is good too.

I didn't know about the sock puppets. Hmm... I'll have to go watch that. Sounds funny.

BabyGhia
Sharpshooter005 07-29-2005 12:26 AM
Biggest difference between madlax and noir?

Theres episodes of Madlax where nobody gets shot, and a gun isn't even drawn. Rather than the "It's been 15 minutes, time for droves of people to die" formula of Noir (not that theres anything wrong with that)

Also the plot is...it gets odd. Though it has the whole "evil illuminati style group drawn to the central characters through obscure historical events" thing going so far.

It's pretty good though, aside from paranoia agent it's really the only anime I've been able to muster any interest in lately. And even then there was about half a month when I didn't have enough time to watch any of it.

edit: For a Noir thread, theres a shocking dearth of Chloe

Yeah, google didn't lead me to anything prominently featuring her wasting people with THE KNIVES.
StevieV019 07-29-2005 07:46 AM
There was an article in Anime Magazine awhile ago where they counted the number of deaths and who was attributed with the killing. If Im not mistaken, Kirika killed something like 150 people to Mirielle's 68 and Chloe's 20-30....interesting stuff.
Asirt 07-29-2005 11:22 AM
quote:
Yeah, google didn't lead me to anything prominently featuring her wasting people with THE KNIVES.

Hope these are good enough for now. Big Grin

quote:
There was an article in Anime Magazine awhile ago where they counted the number of deaths and who was attributed with the killing. If Im not mistaken, Kirika killed something like 150 people to Mirielle's 68 and Chloe's 20-30....interesting stuff.

That's pretty interesting. I always knew Kirika was the killing machine. Happy Although Chloe's pretty cool when it comes to knives (and forks in the sock puppet extra).

spoiler (highlight to read):
I'm surprised no one mentioned Altena yet. I thought she was great when she killed that nun in episode 25 or 26 (can't remember at the moment). It's too bad she didn't have more moments like that. The whole bathing scene with Kirika and Chloe kind of freaked me out, but then again, I was always a Kirika x Mireille fan anyway.

My favorite episode in Noir was the one where Kirika meets this artist, and starts to be fond of him. He was later killed, which made Kirika very sad. It also shows you that Mireille had a moment like that in the past as well.
BabyGhia 08-01-2005 02:33 AM
Watched the sock puppet extra on Friday. LOL! They had a little fun making that. hehehe Poor Chloe. She learned something the hard way. Wink

And I'm not surprised that Kirika killed so many either.

Trisa, I liked that episode also.

BabyGhia
Sharpshooter005 08-01-2005 11:54 PM
I...don't remember Altena ever
killing a nun..I remember the huge fight sequence between Mireille, Kirika, and the nuns in the Soldat compound though.

Also someone promised they'd rent the dvd and then send me the sock puppet stuff..still waiting on that one. Oh Well
Asirt 08-02-2005 10:55 AM
quote:
I...don't remember Altena ever
killing a nun..I remember the huge fight sequence between Mireille, Kirika, and the nuns in the Soldat compound though.

If you recall in episode 26, just before Kirika and Mirielle saw Altena, one of the servants was talking to Altena. After the talk, both took out a gun and Altena killed her.
Asirt 02-04-2007 04:47 PM

[Box art subject to change]

Man, Japan sure likes them English audio tracks. This new box set will contain all 26 episodes along with both the English and Japanese audio tracks. What makes this release different from the normal JP release as well as the US release is that the series is now remastered with a new authoring system and comes with a special booklet. It may not come with the sock puppets easter egg or the other features in the US release, but it is an option for people who like Noir or were not happy with ADV's release.

Like every Japanese import, expect to pay a hefty price, but as always, Amazon Japan has the box set for 25% off the regular price. It comes out March 21.

Amazon Japan [About $194]

Of course, if you want a cheaper alternate, Click here.
Nine Kuze 03-20-2007 12:11 PM
Question: I've been doing research on Noir for a minute now (all will be revealed later) and I have a question regarding the main characters in Kirika and Mirielle. What I've turned up is very interesting and I'd like to see this myself some time. Anywho...

Which one of the two ladies would be regarded as the main character and which one as the supporting character? If anyone could help a hustla out with this, I'd appreciate it. Good night, and good luck.
Peace.
Sharpshooter005 03-20-2007 12:58 PM
It's...hard to say. It's also been a long time since I watched this but I can't really think of any time it clearly breaks it down into one of them being the sidekick or whatever

Also you'd think this sock puppet deal everyone was going all gaa-gaa over would be on youtube or something. But no it seems the vaunted web 2.0 once again failed miserably at something

edit: Also this reminds me I never finished watching madlax, I think I got up to the point where sniper chloe (I don't remember what the characters name even is, only that they look incredibly similarl to chloe except with longer hair and a sniper rifle) was going after the main character or something. Also there'd been some episode where some random guy gets hired to find the book that keeps getting mentioned and I forget if he died or I even finished watching that episode.
Heavy Metal Instro 03-29-2007 05:02 PM
Noir is French for black.