Gibson Plans Another Historical Epic

Negotiator_Roger_Smith 07-25-2005 11:12 PM
1 hour, 52 minutes ago

LOS ANGELES - Mel Gibson is planning another historical epic. And like "The Passion of the Christ," it will be shot in an archaic tongue. The writer-director plans an October starting date to shoot "Apocalypto," set 500 years ago in Central America, his spokesman, Alan Nierob, said Monday.

Dialogue will be spoken in an obscure Mayan dialect, in the same way Gibson used Aramaic and Latin for his religious blockbuster "The Passion."

Also like "The Passion," Gibson will bankroll "Apocalypto" himself. Disney has signed on to release it domestically for a fee, similar to the deal Gibson struck with Newmarket Films to distribute "The Passion," one of 2004's top hits with $370 million in domestic revenues.

"We couldn't be more excited about working again with Mel and his team," said Dick Cook, chairman of Walt Disney Studios, whose previous collaborations with Gibson include "Signs" and "Ransom." "This is one of the most original and unique scripts we've ever had the opportunity to read recently, and we plan for this to be an anchor of our summer schedule."

Due out next summer, "Apocalypto" will feature a cast of unknowns native to the area in Mexico where the film will be shot, according to the Hollywood trade paper Variety. Gibson will not appear in the film, and he's keeping the plot under wraps.

At least three other studios passed on "Apocalypto," but others made bids for it, according to Variety.

It's a far different reception than Gibson got for "The Passion," which studios passed on distributing because of its potentially divisive religious themes
Generalissimo D 07-26-2005 12:10 AM
Hmm...this seems similar to that New World movie thats coming out...

It'll be good though.
Negotiator_Roger_Smith 07-26-2005 12:14 AM
quote:
Originally posted by D-Boy

It'll be good though.

New world movie?
Sharpshooter005 07-26-2005 01:16 AM
Frankly I wish every single dvd had some option to have the dialogue in an archaic language.

Example: Pulp Fiction in Sumerian, theres no way you can tell me this dosen't at least slightly intrigue you.

EDIT. I wish babelfish could translate "Royale with cheese" into aramaic. I mean..if it could, my life would basically be complete.
Sir Nise 07-26-2005 11:33 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Sharpshooter005
Frankly I wish every single dvd had some option to have the dialogue in an archaic language.

Example: Pulp Fiction in Sumerian, theres no way you can tell me this dosen't at least slightly intrigue you.

It does intrigue me so. I hope the Apocalypto has mega bloody fights and stuff. Rarrrr!
Mr. Peabody 07-26-2005 11:45 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Negotiator_Roger_Smith
quote:
Originally posted by D-Boy

It'll be good though.

New world movie?

"The New World" is about Captain John Smith and Pocahontas, starring Colin Farrell and directed by the eccentric Terrence Malick.
Travis Bickle 07-26-2005 11:48 AM
The last thing we need is another Gibson movie. The Road Warrior is played out. His 15 minutes are way over.

I mean, I didn't care for the Passion that much. Obviously, neither did the Academy.

If he makes another terribly historically inaccurate Revolutionary War movie based on an event that never happened in America, then I have something to be worried about.

He doesn't have my $8.50, or few minutes spent downloading (either or).
BethMcBeth 07-26-2005 01:00 PM
Wow that sounds very interesting and to film it again in a dead language I think thats amazing! I hope it will be a good movie and that all goes well. ^_^""

-Beth
Dude Love 07-26-2005 01:24 PM
quote:

How about Reservoir Dogs in Babylonian?

---

I really thought The Passion of the Christ 2: Crucify This had a good chance. Oh well.

I'd like to see a preview before I pass judgment on this one.
Tony Waynewrong 07-26-2005 01:53 PM
Cool!!! I am really looking forward to this. I find Mel Gibson's movies to be quite entertaining. I really liked "The Passion", even though many here did not. Having said that, I think I need to see a trailer before I decide whether I see it or not.
Sharpshooter005 07-26-2005 02:00 PM
It'll be interesting to see if he continues the "no subtitles" thing. I remember that was done in the passion because the basic story is so well known it was felt the audience would still be able to follow it without having the dialogue translated out for them.

So far I haven't been able to find out...really what the plot of this is supposed to be. That makes me kind of expect subtitles. Either way it should be interesting.
X Prime 07-26-2005 02:39 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Bleedthrough
I mean, I didn't care for the Passion that much. Obviously, neither did the Academy.

As an acquaintance of mine once said "Welcome to the realization that Hollywood is full of LIBERALS' (almost verbatim). Heh.
Mike 07-26-2005 08:11 PM
Eh...I always thought that the last day of Jesus's life wasn't as important as the 30 or so years that came before it.

Anyway...The Patriot barely held my attention and was rife with historical inaccuracy. Bravehart was cool but that, too, got it pretty wrong.
StevieV019 07-27-2005 07:15 AM
Well, Im pretty much open to seeing anything. Epics, when done well, are enjoyable to me. The Patriot wasnt the greatest, certainly not worth seeing in the theater, but I watched it when it came to cable and I was flipping through the channels. So, it was something to do, or watch, I guess. Wouldnt necessarily recommend it. As for Passion, well, I have to say I was moved by it to an extent. So, I must say it was a powerful movie, for me. I wouldnt say I enjoyed it though...if that makes sense.

As for this new one...let me take a look at it and learn what the story is about before passing judgement. Personally, Id rather see Murtaw and Riggs back with another Lethal Weapon, but again, thats probably played as well...Oh well...
Travis Bickle 07-27-2005 09:51 AM
quote:
Originally posted by X Prime
quote:
Originally posted by Bleedthrough

As an acquaintance of mine once said "Welcome to the realization that Hollywood is full of LIBERALS' (almost verbatim). Heh.

I just don't think that the script was really good, the acting was overdramatic, and it was rather boring. Nothing involving politics or personal beliefs.
TanookiJoe 07-27-2005 10:52 AM
quote:
Originally posted by GAT-X105
Eh...I always thought that the last day of Jesus's life wasn't as important as the 30 or so years that came before it.

It's exactly the opposite. The crucifixition and resurrection are the very crux (haha, Tanooki Joe make pun) of Christianity -- without them, Christianity has no point. Thus, the focus paid to it by Gibson.

quote:
Anyway...The Patriot barely held my attention and was rife with historical inaccuracy. Bravehart was cool but that, too, got it pretty wrong.

Ever occur to anyone else that, apart from accent, Gibson is basically playing the same character in both movies?
Sharpshooter005 07-27-2005 12:30 PM
quote:
Ever occur to anyone else that, apart from accent, Gibson is basically playing the same character in both movies?

I liked the crazy Irish guy in Braveheart.

quote:
"Welcome to the realization that Hollywood is full of LIBERALS' (almost verbatim). Heh.

I've always thought half of it was political, and the other half was "...So we passed on a machine that prints money. WELL I'LL SHOW THEM ALL."

quote:
Id rather see Murtaw and Riggs back with another Lethal Weapon

"Remember how I said I was getting too old for this sh**? No, seriously, I'm really getting too old for this sh**."
Diverse Considerations 07-27-2005 07:59 PM
quote:

EDIT. I wish babelfish could translate "Royale with cheese" into aramaic. I mean..if it could, my life would basically be complete.

You know, one of my priests speaks Aramaic...and Latin, and ancient Greek, and modern Greek, and Hebrew, and German, and French, and Italian, and Spanish...

I'm sure I'm missing a few.