The Island

Travis Bickle 07-22-2005 06:03 PM
I didn't see a thread for this, so I decided I might as well go ahead.

It's a Michael Bay (EEK!) film about two people (Ewan McGregor and Scarlett Johansson) who think they live in a utopia. Everyone in their community gets excitement out of the "lottery", in which a lucky person gets chosen to go to "the Island", the last place on earth that isn't contaminated by pathogens and what not.

However, it turns out that they're clones of people in the real world. WOWSERS!

So they do all this crazy stuff and...yeah...saying any more would pretty much give away the movie.

It came out today and I just came back from it about 30 minutes ago. It's an honest-to-goodness decent Michael Bay film! Since everything else he's made is god awful, he decided not to work with Jerry Bruckheimer, which was for the best.

It wasn't an amazing movie, but it was decent.

spoiler (highlight to read):
No really cool sci-fi plot twists at the end (which are always my favorite), but meh...

However, there was too much product placement in the movie. Every scene, you saw something from Puma, Speedo, Xbox, etc.

And it has a trailer for V for Vendetta in front of it!

It's worth seeing.
088nd 07-22-2005 06:09 PM
It looked like it sucked. And I hate Michael Bay. I'm going to avoid this, at all costs.
DJX Prime 07-23-2005 07:24 AM
....but am I the only one here who thinks that just looking at the trailer it looks like a remake of a B-movie called Parts: The Clonus Horror? It was a film made back in the 70s (?) that starred Peter Graves.

Anybody else pick up on that?
Travis Bickle 07-23-2005 11:12 AM
quote:
Originally posted by DJX Prime
....but am I the only one here who thinks that just looking at the trailer it looks like a remake of a B-movie called Parts: The Clonus Horror? It was a film made back in the 70s (?) that starred Peter Graves.

Anybody else pick up on that?

It is a remake of Parts: The Clonus Horror. And the trailers make it look terrible. However, it is a decent movie and a thousand times better than the MST3K-featured movie.
Dork 07-23-2005 01:17 PM
It looks good. I'd really like to see it in the theatres. But I just saw 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory' twice, so I think 'The Island' is going to be a renter. I just don't have enough money to see too many movies first run. Prices are insane right now.

muchlove
-Dork
DJX Prime 07-24-2005 06:50 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Bleedthrough
It is a remake of Parts: The Clonus Horror. And the trailers make it look terrible. However, it is a decent movie and a thousand times better than the MST3K-featured movie.

I knew I'd seen it before. And MST3K was exactly where I saw it. The two quips I remembered Tom and Crow saying from that movie that gave me a couple of laughs are:

1) "Parts: The Visible Panty Line Horror."
2) "I'm gonna do it. I'm gonna start a band called Air Supply."

I'm gonna have to go with Dork's idea on renting it. Blew my cash on Charlie, Episode III, and two viewings of Batman Begins.