Who are these "Guests"?

Wazpy 07-19-2005 04:45 PM
Yes, I know what guests are...

But these guests are wiggity wack. sometimes I check the Who is Where thing and see guests checking random profiles and topics from the dawn of man. A couple of times I've brought year old topics back to life by accident because I saw a guest checking it.

Are any of you guys secretly a "Guest"?
The Fallen Phoenix 07-19-2005 05:04 PM
Okay, I'll admit it...

...I'm Guest[7].

In all seriousness, when I was in Italy I frequently browsed the forums as a guest, usually because I didn't really have enough time to properly log in (or because I was just too lazy to do so).

Sometimes, guests are bots--that could help explain the rather random behavior of some of them, I think.

...not sure if that really answers your question, but eh--figured it was worth bringing up regardless.
Sir Nise 07-19-2005 05:09 PM
Do you mean like robots "bots"? Or just random internet programs? Yeah, guest are like in the most random places. I'm like," Why are you reading that lame thread, guest?"

What are ghost people? Are those just members who chose not to be seen on the forums? Theses forums are mysterious.
The Fallen Phoenix 07-19-2005 05:17 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Nise
What are ghost people? Are those just members who chose not to be seen on the forums? Theses forums are mysterious.

Go to Profile-->Options. First one is "Use Ghost Mode?" And you are correct: Ghosts are individuals who choose not to be seen on the forums. This means their usernames do not show under "Users Online" and they cannot be seen on the "Who Is Where Online?" page. Finally, checking the profile of a Ghost will always reveal "No declaration" for "Last Active."
Avenir 07-19-2005 05:32 PM
quote:

Well, The Fallen Phoenix put it most succinctly, but for more information, see the Ghostbusters! thread. Smile

----------

More onto the subject, I, too, have resurrected many a thread by noticing a guest's activity - be it a search bot or human being, though there's really no way to deduce this - on the Who is Where. I also browse the forums without logging in on occasion, especially when I'm on a computer at work and don't want to risk forgetting to log out.

I must admit, though, the seldom multiple bots looking at the same page is rather amusing. Big Grin
Wazpy 07-19-2005 05:51 PM
This is a shout out to the Guest who is currently Guest[2] to Guest [37]. Stop checking the "ASB Jerks" topic. Its ticking me off for some reason that I'm not sure of. I WILL hunt you down, son.
Krang 07-20-2005 12:01 AM
quote:
Do you mean like robots "bots"? Or just random internet programs?

Bots are automated programs that crawl the web by visiting web pages and then visiting the links on those pages to find more pages. These are mostly used to index sites on search engines.

Here's a recent screenshot of the guests to show a general idea of who they are (click it for a larger version). As you can see, three of the guests are actual visitors (I blurred out the IP addresses for them), five of them are Yahoo bots (which cause PCF to show up on http://search.yahoo.com), one of them is an MSN bot (which causes PCF to show up on http://search.msn.com), and the remaining one is some form of link checker run by LookSmart.

quote:
Originally posted by Wazpy
This is a shout out to the Guest who is currently Guest[2] to Guest [37]. Stop checking the "ASB Jerks" topic. Its ticking me off for some reason that I'm not sure of. I WILL hunt you down, son.

And there's an example of when bots can get annoying. Tongue Bots run by large search engines such as Yahoo, Google, and MSN don't usually do things like that, so it was most likely an experimental bot run by a smaller site.