Iron Man movie announced!

Mr. Peabody 05-06-2007 09:45 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Nine XXVI
I just wanna go on record and say about the Civil War storyline that Peabody seems to be talking about here, I think its important to say that Tony Stark isn't actually a villain by any means. I mean, I can see why people think that, going with the Registration Act, becoming the leader of S.H.I.E.L.D., doing questionable acts such having Spidey unmask himself to the world, cloning Thor, staging his own kidnapping, etc., etc. But the way that Marvel played it out, it wasn't suppose to paint ol' boy in a corner as the "ebil guy". He picked a side of the issue, stuck by it and had the "means justify the ends" device down hard. So yeah, I'm just saying the armor doesn't signify that he's a bad guy or that Iron Man f***ed up.

Civil War was advertised as being a balanced story about super hero registration, but the anti-registration side were made the true heroes, and the pro-regestration were either made the villains or misguided.

The fact is, the writers of Civil War are liberals or even 9/11 conspiracy theorists. Tony Stark is a conservative and a CEO of a global business empire so they turned him into a manipulating, scheming, power-obsessed traitor.
Sharpshooter005 05-06-2007 10:15 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Sharpshooter005
Capitan America:
He died that a comic book writers hamfisted political allegory may live.
X Prime 05-06-2007 10:18 AM
quote:
quote:
Capitan America:

The writer was SCOTTISH too, so yeah. Not really qualified to make that kind of allegory.
Mike 05-06-2007 10:19 AM
quote:
quote:
Capitan America:

Wasn't he just almost-killed and put in stasis so that when the storyline ends, he can get the magic reset button?
Sharpshooter005 05-06-2007 10:23 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Mike
quote:
quote:
Capitan America:

Wasn't he just almost-killed and put in stasis so that when the storyline ends, he can get the magic reset button?

...I don't read comic books, but this sounds like the type of convoluted crap the writers are best at.

So yeah, he's a popsicle I guess, why not.
Mr. Peabody 05-07-2007 10:53 PM

Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark
Nine Kuze 05-07-2007 11:09 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Peabody

Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark

Yeah, saw that in today's Entertainment Weekly. He looks pretty good.

I think they said that they're might be more sequels since they said references to this alcoholism would be later on, so yeah.
Peace.
Sharpshooter005 05-08-2007 12:46 AM
Robert Downy Jr? Playing an addict of some form?

GEE I DUNNO IF I CAN SUSPEND MY DISBELIEF THAT MUCH
Mr. Peabody 05-08-2007 04:27 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Nine XXVI
I think they said that they're might be more sequels since they said references to this alcoholism would be later on, so yeah.
Peace.

Jeff Bridges is portraying Obadiah Stane. In the comics he was a business rival of Tony Stark. Stane took control of Stark Industries by ruining Tony both emotionally and financially until he was a homeless alcoholic. Once Tony got sober, Stane kidnapped his friends and the two rivals fought to the death in experimental suits of armor - and Tony was the winner.

A sequel will certainly revolve around this storyline. Considering Downey Jr's history of drug addiction, it will be shocking to watch. I hope he doesn't suffer a relapse!
Mr. Peabody 05-12-2007 11:00 AM

Iron Man! (cue Black Sabbath music)
Generalissimo D 05-12-2007 01:03 PM
quote:

Iron Man! (cue Black Sabbath music)

*cough*
Mike 05-12-2007 05:08 PM
Reminds me of Robocop.
Mr. Peabody 06-23-2007 07:24 PM
The latest rumor on Iron Man is that Samuel L. Jackson will join the cast as the director of S.H.I.E.L.D. Col Nick Fury! Shocked

Ironically, several years ago Jackson gave Marvel Comics permission to use his image for their Ultimate Universe version of Nick Fury.
Generalissimo D 06-23-2007 08:07 PM
quote:
The latest rumor on Iron Man is that Samuel L. Jackson will join the cast as the director of S.H.I.E.L.D. Col Nick Fury! Shocked

Ironically, several years ago Jackson gave Marvel Comics permission to use his image for their Ultimate Universe version of Nick Fury.

Thats not ironic.

Ironic would have been if he was adamant about not having Fury modeled after him.
Mr. Peabody 06-23-2007 08:12 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Call Me D. Just D. The D.
quote:

Thats not ironic.

Ironic would have been if he was adamant about not having Fury modeled after him.

The story I heard was that Marvel approached Jackson and got his permission. Then again, the Ultimates thing was just starting up, so as the old entertainment saying goes: any publicity is good publicity.
Wazpy 06-24-2007 10:54 AM
quote:
The fact is, the writers of Civil War are liberals or even 9/11 conspiracy theorists. Tony Stark is a conservative and a CEO of a global business empire so they turned him into a manipulating, scheming, power-obsessed traitor.

*sigh*
Did you actually read these comics or did you just hear somebody give a second-hand account on the Internet?

Anyway, I'm happy with this movie as long as therre's plenty of moustache on lip action.
Mr. Peabody 06-24-2007 11:53 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Wazpy
quote:

*sigh*
Did you actually read these comics or did you just hear somebody give a second-hand account on the Internet?

I read some of the earlier comics in the Civil War storyline and gave up; primarily because they'd all be collected into paperbacks and buying those would be economically sound in the long run. But when people talk about Civil War, they talk about how it favored Captain America's side and it turned Iron Man into a villain.

Mark Millar was the main writer of the Civil War storyline and I have read an interview where he said 9/11 was a government conspiracy.
Wazpy 06-28-2007 03:01 PM
Well, they're in paperbacks now. Go read the Iron man one to get the highlights of him.

He's neither evil nor crazy. The idea that he is was cooked up by defensive, online conservatives who heard about it over the Internet, but never read a comic. Everyone is in such a rush to make this a parallel to what's happening in the world today that they skip the actual reading part. Ironman in actuallity is writen pretty fairly. He stands up for what he believes in and gives very valid reasons for it.
Sharpshooter005 06-28-2007 03:40 PM
quote:
Everyone is in such a rush to make this a parallel to what's happening in the world today

Yeah they're just imagining any agenda the writer might ha-

quote:
Mark Millar was the main writer of the Civil War storyline and I have read an interview where he said 9/11 was a government conspiracy.

Oh whoops nevermind.
Wazpy 06-28-2007 07:43 PM
Again, you haven't read it.