The Insomnia Thread

Travis Bickle 07-04-2005 02:17 AM
Since I have work in about, say, two hours and can't get to sleep, I thought this up. It seems fitting to the bar since it's kind of a game.

Here's the basic idea: If, for some reason, you can't fall asleep, post in this thread why you're possilbly having trouble sleeping and what's currently on your mind.

Stupid? Maybe, but from my lack of sleep, I can't be any more creative than this Frown

So, if you're having trouble falling asleep, come here and post. Woot.

For example:

I'm having trouble falling asleep because I woke up @ 12 PM today, drank way too much coffee at work, and had a bit too much sugar as well. What's currently on my mind is the fact that I have to work in about two hours and I have yet to fall asleep.

Now you try.
Almasy 07-04-2005 02:21 AM
It's about 3:19am and I'm having trouble sleeping because I went to bed at 5:00am the night before and didn't wake up until 3-something in the afternoon today.

Oops! Red Face

Anyway, I'm off to try and sleep cause I gotta be up at 8:30am.

Sleeping
Fujiko 07-04-2005 04:53 AM
Little people are keeping me awake.
Sir Nise 07-04-2005 09:57 AM
well, i went to sleep at 4:30 a.m. friday, playing GTA: San Andreas. Plus, i have major amounts of sweets in my room that keep me up.

Ignore the time of this post.
Collateral 07-05-2005 12:26 AM
I am worried about my fanfic. It seems like it is screwing up when in fact it can't voluntarily change itself. I don't know why I am worried. People seem to like it... Frown

I am also nervous because tomorrow I am going to my first private dance lessons and I don't know the lady.
Almasy 07-10-2005 03:11 AM
So it's 4:00am and I know I should be sleeping but I'm not really tired. Maybe because I woke up at 2:30 in the afternoon again.

So I'm just talking to Avenir on AIM who also seems to be...well...awake. lol
Avenir 07-10-2005 03:14 AM
As Almasy said, I'm awake; widely, I might add. Wink

Given my obscure sleep schedule (which I really need to work on Oh Well ), it's normal for me to be awake this time of night. However, since we're in a hotel at the moment and are checking out in the morning... eh, later this morning, I have to get up at ten. Roll Eyes
BethMcBeth 07-10-2005 06:14 AM
Alrighty it is about 6:30 am and I am still awake I have work at 7:30 am again. I am guessing that once again I am unable to sleep due to the horrible day at camp yesterday and I wondering if my kids apparently can't stay on the horse at a walk with me holding the horse what the heck am I going to do for my other lessons tommrow. That is all 4 of my lessons... Frown Frown

-Beth
A Clockwork Tomato 07-10-2005 11:21 AM
Some insomnia isn't insomnia at all, but an altered schedule. If you sleep in till 10 AM, there's nothing much to keep you from staying up until 2 AM every night.

Usually the way to adjust your schedule is to get up at the right time every day and not worry about bedtime. If you keep staying up, in a few days you'll be so short of sleep that you'll crash at a reasonable hour. That's the way a lot of people deal with jet lag. You can't sleep when your body thinks it's time to be active -- not until you pile on a big load of sleeplessness. Don't try this if you do a lot of driving, though!

Real insomnia usually involves worries or other thoughts that keep you awake, and the fixes involve setting them aside until morning. There are different ways of doing this. I found that it helped just to tell myself that worrying at night is completely unproductive, and that I'd worry about it in the morning!

I use an audio self-hypnosis program, "Deep Sleep Every Night," to conk me out faster. It works. Other relaxation techniques also work.

Caffeine keeps people awake, too. I avoid caffeine after 5 PM unless I'm doing night driving. If I have caffeine in the evening, it keeps me up for hours.
Shaoblane 07-11-2005 02:17 PM
I couldn't sleep last night. I dont think I'll ever know why, but I'll blame it on hunger. I didn't have dinner that night and Dad's taco's usually make me sick.

So I put on a copy of Titanic I taped off of TV...and we know how Shaoblane is...skip the exploration and old lady, go straight to young Rose's story. Of course, I ran out of tape where she was waist deep in the water screaming "JACK!" and carrying an ax... After about half an hour, I muted it. That usually works for me. But then the sex scene came on and I was WIDE awake. O_O She's seventeen and he's like...25? So I started arguing with myself about how old Jack is...then by the time the iceburg struck and water was flooding into the boilers I was watching with kinda a Sweatdrop expression, minus the sweatdrop. Tired, but STILL NOT SLEEPING!

So I turned on my lamp and grabbed a magazine. Yeah...womens world. All about cleaning and raising kids. Boring enough to knock anyone out. Nope...I learned how to organize my closet for about $30.

I fell asleep about 4 AM. I had finished connecting the dots on the cieling. I counted 8,954 dots. Of course, I only fell asleep cause of the GIGANITIC bag of trail mix by my bed, and I managed three handfulls while counting.
Sir Nise 07-11-2005 04:03 PM
I was up till like, 5a.m. this morning finding roms for my SNES and Sega Genesis emulators. Plus, now, I need a gamepad. You crazy mac-laptop button-layout!!!! Curses, now i'll never do a hydyuken!
Green_Bird 07-13-2005 02:57 AM
Woke up at 11AM yesterday....It is now 4AM...so many things going through my mind.....like making a layout for that Vincent Fanlisting I have to do. My body says go to bed but my brains awake.....I'm also hungry....Parents'll kill me if they find out I've been up this late....on the computer.....they usualy chew me out every time I stay up passed oh...5AM....sometimes earlier if the computer's involved! So hot right now....that could be another reason.....because I'm using a tiny little fan to stay cool. Stupid no AC house!

Hey you wanted to know what was on my mind! That's about it....
Zopwx2 07-13-2005 03:05 AM
Technically I could go to sleep right now.

But there isn't much going on in the morning, and its just so so sweet to wake up at noon.

....I need a job
The Baker St. Irregular 07-13-2005 03:15 AM
Oh, my god. I am so screwed. I have to travel over some twenty miles by train to downtown Chicago, try and stay awake through my animation workshop class, then travel back again. Dead I hope I can manage it since it's 3:16 AM here and I haven't gotten any sleep yet!
Travis Bickle 07-26-2005 02:09 AM
And here I am yet again.

I have school in 7 hours and need to be awake in 5. I have work after that until 10 and then work 7 hours later. I need to get on a good sleep schedule.
Dork 07-26-2005 02:50 AM
The time is now 3:45am and your friendly neighborhood Dork is still awake. News and weather are next.

Honestly I just like the night. I've had trouble getting the sleep for as long as I can remember. When I was a child I'd go to bed at 9:30 because that was my bedtime and I'd sit there in bed for hours and hours watching time tick by. I had, and still have, a digital clock/radio. I'd play a game. I'd stare hard at the red lighted display and try to blink at the exact moment a minute passed. Ideally when I shut my eyes the time would be 12:02 and when I opened them it would be 12:03.

I'd gotten quite feed up with these games so now, knowing I wont be able to get to sleep I don't go to bed until very late.

Tonight I am working on a personal project. My journal has been suffering for content as of late so I have started a reviews book. Which is exactly what it sounds like. Reviews of movies, books, things, whatever. Stuff I already write online anyway but have made very little effort to preserve. Right now I'm printing out the things I have typed up about Charlie and the Chocolate Factory to copy into my reviews book. I don’t know how far I’ll get into this project. Which makes it all the more exciting for the uncertainty.

Goodnight all, I shall see you tomorrow afternoon as always.

muchlove
-Dork
Captain Maw 07-26-2005 03:21 AM
4:17am folks, Cpt.Maw reporting.
listening to Shakin' -Rooney. finished running for 45 min. and doing some light weight training in the health/fitness club (14th Floor). also watched Family Guy, Futurama, and Late Nite with Conan O' Brien during this workout. prior to that, i played Savage: The Battle for Newerth, and Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne, whilst also chatting on AIM with my buds and budettes.
this has been going on for a long time. sure i've been losing weight, getting tone, being entertained, leading the Blood Elves to their destiny, and talking about society's woes with my fellow's, when school starts, this lifestyle must end. i know not to try and sleep unless i'm actually, genuinly tired. tried Valerian and over the counter sleeping meds. and my father won't prescribe me sleeping pills (he's my doc). i've tried re-aligning my Circadian rhythms, but when nightfall comes (around 10 or 11pm) i get this JOLT of energy. (i guess that's why they call it Jolt). than i practically fall apart by 3am.
maybe i'm nocturnal?
Shaoblane 07-27-2005 01:52 AM
Ten till midnight pacific, and I have to go to the DMV before 10:00 am tomorrow... I'm f***ed.

But, I'm wide awake. One word:
spoiler (highlight to read):
Evan...

So I'm playing as many games as I can to get me to concentrate on something else...it works as long as whatever I'm playing is a neverending puzzle.
Captain Maw 08-08-2005 07:36 AM
neverending puzzle? try to beat Jenga with only feet....
you can see my post time is 8:35... i know, no sleep for the past two days.
i just got a carafe from starbucks, and a coffee grinder for my beans (Christmas 2004 Blend, and Cafe Verona) whole bean kicks A's.
and i'm not tired at all.
Travis Bickle 08-08-2005 10:45 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Maw
neverending puzzle? try to beat Jenga with only feet....
you can see my post time is 8:35... i know, no sleep for the past two days.
i just got a carafe from starbucks, and a coffee grinder for my beans (Christmas 2004 Blend, and Cafe Verona) whole bean kicks A's.
and i'm not tired at all.

The Verona is good. If you still have the Christmas blend right now, it's probobly going to taste like ass.

Get Rift Valley. Best. Coffee. Ever.

As for me, this is a bit late, but I got 2 hours of sleep last night and had to work for 6 hours this morning. Crazy, huh?