King Kong

BigPrime 12-26-2005 12:46 PM
Saw Kong yesterday and was most impressed. Rekkoha, you should really hold judgment on a film until you see it. Going by advertising alone you'll never get a good feel for what this movie is like. It's not a "glamorized Hollywood flick", but much like Lord of the Rings before it, is an excellent take on its original source material. Much of the film is dark, gritty and in some parts, downright creepy. The only "glamour" provided is the glitzy premiere of "Carl Denham's King Kong" towards the end, but to sum it up, Driscoll said it best "Carl's unceasing ability to destroy what he loves." Anyone who's seen the original knows how badly taking the Ape to New York turns out.

The characters were excellent. Carl came of as every bit the drunken, inept slimeball of a director he was clearly meant to be. Ann really did live up to what the manager of the De Lux described her as, a woman surrounded by sadness and tragedy. The crew of the Venture was perfectly sleazy (excepting First Mate Hayes, who was damn cool). Adrian Brody's Driscoll was the screenwriter who does all the work only to have the actor steal the show, and speaking of the actor, Bruce Baxter came off as appropriately self absorbed and fake as he should have been.

The effects were, in my opinion, top notch. There was only one time when it seemed off, about midway through the dino stampede when people and dinosaurs were falling off cliffs, but it almost seemed intentional, as if it were an homage to the older, superimposed stoop motion effects of yesteryear. Speaking of flimmaking, the film provides several excellent jabs at the world of filmmaking.

Overall, I'd give this film an A.
088nd 12-26-2005 01:22 PM
quote:
Originally posted by BigPrime
The effects were, in my opinion, top notch. There was only one time when it seemed off, about midway through the dino stampede when people and dinosaurs were falling off cliffs

Greatest scene of the movie.
Mike 12-26-2005 08:11 PM
This movie was frickin' awesome. I especially liked the T-Rex fight. Kong was all "PRIMATES, bitch!"
The dinosaurs in Jurassic Park were meaner-looking though.

Also, WILHELM SCREAM:
When the dinosaurs are stampeding and suddenly turn to not fall off the cliff, one of them kicks a guy who falls off the cliff and lets out a WILHELM SCREAM.
Raphaela 12-27-2005 10:45 PM
I saw Kong about a week ago. With every action movie I've seen I've found something to critique; shallow plots, flat characters, and/or bad effects, among other things. With Kong I found nothing to complain about. The effects were awesome, the characters believable, and the script was awesome. It helps a lot that Kong was just friggin cool like that. The work they did developing the story on the island was very thorough and amazing, although the native kid in the beginning was rather creepy (it reminded me of something straight out of Ringu) and could have been toned down *just* a tad. Other than that, I found the entire movie captivating and amazing.

A definate 5 stars.

--Raphaela
Mr. Peabody 12-31-2005 01:11 PM
quote:
Originally posted by DorothyFan1
If I could ask PJ one question about the film...it would be this: why didn't PJ think of letting Kong's blood get spattered on Ann's dress while the bi-planes were cruelly pouring lead into the last giant ape?

There could be several reasons for that. The original film didn't have much blood, so PJ just went that route. From a dramatic viewpoint, with Ann watching Kong slowly die, and Jack appearing moments later to say that he loves her, you wouldn't need to see any blood.
Zopwx2 12-31-2005 02:25 PM
I saw this film.

I liked the sfx they used to create the 1930's NY, but other than that they high point was when Kong
spoiler (highlight to read):
ripped that one t-rexes face apart, that was badass

Other than that naomi watts acted like a tard for the rest of the movie and it got really gay.
Fujiko 01-04-2006 01:16 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Almasy
All the stuff with the dinosaurs got really old...it's like, "same sh**, different day"--we've seen all that stuff with Jurassic Park, and Jurassic Park did it so much better, and that was years and years ago.I really wasn't impressed with this movie's CGI at all.

Well I agree with you on one part. The reason Jurassic Park's FX are better than most dinosaur related films is because most of them weren't CGI, they were real. But moving on...

I found that fight between Kong and the T-rexes to be one of the best parts of the film. It was hilarious how Ann kept getting into more and more sh*t, and the fight exciting, action-packed if you will. Even though it was obvious Kong would win, it kept me on the edge of my seat. I don't know, I was entertained Big Grin
What was also hilarious was the stampede, and they all
tripped and fell. Then the raptor flew, which was great.

Yes the movie was a bit long. I've heard people complain that the first half hour is boring and blah blah blah. I really didn't mind. The natives of the island were creepy, which I liked. I can even forgive Jack Black. Technically he played himself, but in a more serious tone. I haven't seen the '30s version, but even I thought he delivered the last line in a very cheesy way. Either way, I still think he did a decent job.

Peter Jackson did a great job, aside from a bit of bad editing in the middle of the movie.

The way I rated this: my butt wasn't asleep at the end. So I enjoyed the movie.
Buck Buck #1 04-23-2006 09:52 PM
I watched Kong a little while ago, and it was pretty good. The part where
they were in the bug pit and those really nasty things ate that one guy was pretty messed up.