Eva on Cartoon Network (Update! - First Episode Airs Tonight!)

Green_Bird 07-02-2005 03:54 PM
So many fans here but yet, no one has posted this....I don't think....If someone did...I'm sorry >_< .....I looked and found nothing.....

quote:

ADV Films News

ADV Films talked about one new license and anime on Cartoon Network at their panel today.

--------------------------

ADV Films announced that they have a license to release the original Macross TV series in North America and will, for the first time ever, produce an English dub for Macross.

They also announced that Evangelion will be airing in its entirety on Cartoon Network for the first time.

More details from ADV's Anime Expo panel will be included in our full panel report later today.

It just said CN it's still up in the air where it will end up, mostlikely AS but no one's too sure about that. Well I finely get to see it, though most likely edited, as always. Seeing as how then they say "in its entirety" they mean "It's in its entirety, but we edited a few things out so there would be more room for ads ^^;"

Any views on this....
Tickle Tickle 07-02-2005 04:09 PM
That's some shocking news. Seriously, I didn't see it coming.

o________________________________________________o
Zopwx2 07-02-2005 04:10 PM
What the!

They kept saying how they'd never air eva....

Now lets see if they edit the crap out of it or not.

OH sh**, I just realized how much of a nuclear disaster the forums would become if they actually do end up airing eva....
evanASF27 07-02-2005 04:14 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Umino

ditto

quote:
Originally posted by Zopwx2
What the!

OH sh**, I just realized how much of a nuclear disaster the forums would become if they actually do end up airing eva....

ooohh boy....*begins to construct a bomb shelter underneath the Speakeasy*
IanC 07-02-2005 04:15 PM
Hehe, shocking news.

I mean hasnt AS said they will never show it due to controversy?
evanASF27 07-02-2005 04:16 PM
quote:
Originally posted by IanC
Hehe, shocking news.

I mean hasnt AS said they will never show it due to controversy?

perhaps not AS...but maybe Toonami (god I hope not). They'd probably edit it to death.
IanC 07-02-2005 04:22 PM
AS is really the only part of CN that could show it.
thebravest1 07-02-2005 04:34 PM
I currently own the complete box set for eva and I know that what we see on CN compared to the DVD version won't be the same. But hopefully it still will be enjoyable for those who don't want to buy the DVD's.
David Ryder 07-02-2005 06:29 PM
wow Eva on CN? I gotta see the edits...because there will be alot. ><
Schoolie 07-02-2005 07:29 PM
Wow. This is news. Around three-four years ago, Toonami did their "Giant Robot Week" and showed the first two episodes of Eva.

The only edits I remember were less blood (Rei's injuries, I think), cutting the scene of naked Shiro coming out of the bathroom at Misato's house (think Austin Powers), and giving Misato a bikini top when she was in the bath (though the unedited version doesn't show anything, anyway - weird).

Back then, Cartoon Network said they wouldn't air Eva because of the heavy editing. But I think the larger reason was because ADV created the Anime Network and CN stopped buying rights to their shows (which makes sense), or ADV didn't offer (which also makes sense).

I think with all CN shows on Adult Swim - anime like Paranoia Agent, Samurai Champloo as well as comedy like Family Guy and Robot Chicken - Eva is not too much more of a stretch content-wise.

As long as they show Eva on Adult Swim - like 12:00 a.m. Eastern or later - there shouldn't be a problem. Consider all the other stuff that's on around that time. Heck, look at what some channels show during prime time!

Eva's definitely not for kids. But if shown at the right time, I think CN should be able to broadcast it with little to no edits - for better or worse.
evanASF27 07-02-2005 07:50 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Schoolie
I think with all CN shows on Adult Swim - anime like Paranoia Agent, Samurai Champloo as well as comedy like Family Guy and Robot Chicken - Eva is not too much more of a stretch content-wise.

As long as they show Eva on Adult Swim - like 12:00 a.m. Eastern or later - there shouldn't be a problem. Consider all the other stuff that's on around that time. Heck, look at what some channels show during prime time!

Eva's definitely not for kids. But if shown at the right time, I think CN should be able to broadcast it with little to no edits - for better or worse.

What about Lupin the Third and Case Closed that were pushed to an outrageous 5:00AM and 5:30AM?!!?! O_O They had content but sometimes not as bad as content seen in some of the other Adult Swim shows.
Sharpshooter005 07-02-2005 08:11 PM
I still think it'd be easier to air Noir.

You'd barely, barely have to edit it. Really I'm struggling to think of one necessary edit aside from the usual speed up the credits (and even then it may be unnecessary). Theres...maybe two they'd make to latter episodes...again I can't remember.

Otherwise it seems like the perfect series (26 episode format, it'd fit in as an action series)
Schoolie 07-02-2005 09:47 PM
If this Eva thing runs its course on CN, it could create a lot of buzz for anime on TV. Hopefully, the people at Cartoon Network/Adult Swim really play it up.

Most mainstream viewers have never seen an animated program that can blow their minds like Evangelion. Of course, it takes a few episodes - maybe almost halfway through the show - before things really get wonky. Not that the weirdness factor is all that's important, but it's what really sets the show apart.
Mugiwara Luffy 07-02-2005 10:45 PM
Yeah, I don't really think it would be edited THAT much. There really isn't anything worse than what's currently on Adult Swim.
Wingnut 07-03-2005 12:40 AM
quote:
Originally posted by evanASF27
quote:
Originally posted by Umino

ditto

quote:
Originally posted by Zopwx2
What the!

ooohh boy....*begins to construct a bomb shelter underneath the Speakeasy*

I'll loan the Gundarium armor for the shielding. Although I suspect we will be able to handle things rather well considering how good we have done in the past.
If we can handle the Act 26 disaster, we can handle just about anything.
IanC 07-03-2005 11:38 AM
I think ADV have offered CN a lot of shows, but this is the only one that can talk about right now. I still think AS has Chrono Crusade... Since someone has the TV rights to that show, but ADV wont let out who.

The Anime Network thing doesnt matter for some reason, a show on there can air on another channelif the company that owns the rights to that show wants it too.
Green_Bird 07-03-2005 12:05 PM
quote:
Originally posted by IanC
I think ADV have offered CN a lot of shows, but this is the only one that can talk about right now. I still think AS has Chrono Crusade... Since someone has the TV rights to that show, but ADV wont let out who.

Chrono Crusade is going to be on Showtime....

quote:
[........]
Also, Peacemaker and Chrono Crusade on Showtime.
[........]

The full article was a little bit too long but it was from AnimeOnDVD....I got the article out of the news thread for this article over on the ANN forums.....
Lady Tesser 07-03-2005 12:15 PM
Macross - yay!!!!

<----- Old School Anime Fan
IanC 07-03-2005 12:18 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Green_Bird

quote:
[........]
Also, Peacemaker and Chrono Crusade on Showtime.
[........]

The full article was a little bit too long but it was from AnimeOnDVD....I got the article out of the news thread for this article over on the ANN forums.....

lol, guess i should read the whole thing.

Intresting, Very intresttttiing
BigPrime 07-03-2005 01:53 PM
It probably will air on AS. Editing Eva for Toonami wouldn't leave you with much of a show, given the geysers of blood (human and Angel), nudity, religious references, bad parenting, etc. At least on AS they'd only have to deal with the nudity for the most part, and I'm sure that they can edit creatively on most of it.